Earning Miles from V Australia?

Old Jul 19, 10, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Earning Miles from V Australia?

So, from the web it appears that despite AS and V Australia's codeshare agreement, there is no partnership for the mileage earning.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew of or have a way to get AS miles for flying V Australia. I'll be flying to New Zealand this December from LAX (that's 17,000 miles not to earn anything!). Since I don't fly more than 5 or 6 times a year I try to consolidate all of my earning to either AS (perfect for its AA and DL partnership) or UA (for *A).

The best scenario I can see is to earn DL Skymiles on my V Australia flight (although at less than 50% for my fare class) and end up in the neighborhood of 8,000 skymiles and then have to use points.com (and pay, ugh) to transfer them to AS.

Anyone have any brighter ideas?

p.s. I would have chosen to fly QF, since the fare difference was less than 1 cent per RDM, but my Dad wanted a chance to fly on the 777.
Old Jul 19, 10, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't believe one can transfer miles out of Delta for anything?
Old Jul 19, 10, 6:19 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
A look at the Velocity Rewards website tells you who you can earn Velocity Rewards points by flying. Since these arrangements are often (but not always) reciprocal, it would be worth investigating those programs as a start. If, in the end, you decide to convert miles from some other program into AS (or another) program, then you might want to see the Webflyer Frequent Flyer Miles Converter for some ideas to minimize your losses...
Old Jul 20, 10, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about the Webflyer miles converter. Based on the Velocity Rewards website the most likely candidates for earning points are Hawaiian and Delta. However, only Delta lists a reciprocal relationship on their website.

As far as converting, it still appears that the GPX swap on Points.com is the only option for me, I just get stuck paying their 1 cpm fee... I might as well just not bother.

There's also the option of earning Virgin America Elevate points, but from what I gather their program isn't good unless you fly them often (e.g. a hard expiration date on earned points).
Old Jul 20, 10, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
VX's program isn't good in terms of value in cents per mile, but they do straight conversions of points to dollars- meaning you might be able to redeem one-way going JFK-LAS/LAX/SFO. It's better than getting killed on points.com.
http://www.virginamerica.com/frequen...australia.html

Assuming that your fare class is a 50% earning class on VA for VX points, you'd get enough for a one-way, JFK-LAS (~around 7,000 points).

I've redeemed multiple awards on VX for SEA-LAX. It's nothing fancy like a RTW in F, but it gets the job done.

Also, 8000 DL SkyPesos™ are pretty meaningless... BUT they can be used on their Marketplace for hotel rooms at 1 cent per mile, so you'd have an $80 rebate on a hotel room if you wanted.
Old Jul 20, 10, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Originally Posted by yaychemistry View Post
So, from the web it appears that despite AS and V Australia's codeshare agreement, there is no partnership for the mileage earning.

However, I was wondering if anyone knew of or have a way to get AS miles for flying V Australia. .
AS and VA have no codeshare agreements. It's just interline. Like baggage agreements, AS has internline ticket agreements with most airlines including even UA & US but that doesn't mean partnership whatsoever.
Old Jul 23, 10, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
VX's program isn't good in terms of value in cents per mile, but they do straight conversions of points to dollars- meaning you might be able to redeem one-way going JFK-LAS/LAX/SFO. It's better than getting killed on points.com.
Good point. I noticed that the RT point levels on VX were too high for me, but I hadn't thought to look at OW redemption. It looks like VX is the way for me to go. Much better than the magazine subscriptions I had been planning on getting.

Originally Posted by jimmychang View Post
AS and VA have no codeshare agreements. It's just interline. Like baggage agreements, AS has internline ticket agreements with most airlines including even UA & US but that doesn't mean partnership whatsoever.
Hey, you learn something new every day Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: