Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Maximum Carry-on Size (Including personal item)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I went bag shopping and bought two new bags and I'm worried they might be too big on AS.

The first bag is my new carry-on. I purchased a Travelpro FlightCrew3 22" Expandable Rollaboard Suiter It's advertised as 22" x 14" x 9-12" but there are comments that "When resting flat as if you are packing the bag, the height of the bag is 11" without anything in the pockets. The length, from the bottom of the foot/wheels to the top of the carrying handle is 23.5". I wonder if I should return it and go for the 20"?

I also bought a Lowepro Fast Pack 250 for my laptop and DSLR camera. I cant tell if this will count as a personal item. The dimensions are 11W X 5.9D X 9.3H which = 26.2 inches. I know its legal on AA which lists the max for personal item as 36in. Unfortunately AS doesn't list a size guideline
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
I know how you feel, because some of my carry-ons have been borderline. They have all been allowed, however. Here are some specs:

1/passenger 24" x 17" x 10"
You may also carry a purse, computer, briefcase, or small tote

I like this site because it lists out all of the carry-on requirements for all the airlines.
Your camera case should also be fine, as long as it fits underneath the seat, which it probably should - my dog fits under the seat fine
I don't see a problem with your carry-ons.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I also have a 22" TravelPro rollaboard (a non-suiter version) and it fits in every AS bin perfectly, though it's a tight squeeze on the -400's. As long as you don't stuff it overflowing, it's the perfect mix of ample space inside and overhead bin compactness.

Do you regularly travel with a suit? I wouldn't opt for the suiter version unless you need it almost every time. If you only occasionally need a suit, you could just make do with a garment bag hung up in the closet and save the space in your carryon.

My TravelPro goes with me on every trip regardless of length or destination. You picked the right brand.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
these days, and its true of all airlines, if you suspect your bag may be too large, don't ask and don't tell.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:31 am

I also think that when you fly a lot, you get used to a certain size. After going about 40 trips this year with one of my two smaller "mobile office" style cases, I had to switch to a 22" to head to my brother's graduation and freaked out at how "huge" that was; but in reality, it was no larger than anyone else's carryon.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
This is what I fly with. It's a little over a pound lighter than the TravelPro and doesn't have a laptop storage case but I usually carry my laptop in my backpack that has a protected compartment for it anyway along with all my other travel gear that I want access to from under the seat in front of me. I haven't had any problems with it and it does come with a 10 limited warranty. Also, it's much cheaper than the TravelPro. You can find them (or a similar model) on sale at Macy's usally.

http://www.luggage.com/Delsey-22874-Blue-QW1339.html
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:36 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
if you are only flying AS then you're probably good... but if you are doing any partner travel, I'd probably switch to a smaller one, or expect to check it sometimes.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:35 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by CDKing
I went bag shopping and bought two new bags and I'm worried they might be too big on AS.

The first bag is my new carry-on. I purchased a Travelpro FlightCrew3 22" Expandable Rollaboard Suiter It's advertised as 22" x 14" x 9-12" but there are comments that "When resting flat as if you are packing the bag, the height of the bag is 11" without anything in the pockets. The length, from the bottom of the foot/wheels to the top of the carrying handle is 23.5". I wonder if I should return it and go for the 20"?

I also bought a Lowepro Fast Pack 250 for my laptop and DSLR camera. I cant tell if this will count as a personal item. The dimensions are 11W X 5.9D X 9.3H which = 26.2 inches. I know its legal on AA which lists the max for personal item as 36in. Unfortunately AS doesn't list a size guideline
eh yer good on AS they dont enforce anything in the way of baggage....the FAs just gripe to each other
Old Jun 30, 2010, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
eh yer good on AS they dont enforce anything in the way of baggage....the FAs just gripe to each other
Yeh, unfortunately. Had a tremendously slow boarding on a recent MIA-SEA trip due to excessive and oversize carry-ons. I don't mind the size so long as it fits longways in but when people are carrying twice as many items as they should they are really being inconsiderate.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
Yeh, unfortunately. Had a tremendously slow boarding on a recent MIA-SEA trip due to excessive and oversize carry-ons. I don't mind the size so long as it fits longways in but when people are carrying twice as many items as they should they are really being inconsiderate.
This morning the mom and dad had one roll-aboard and a small carry-on, and then the three year old had his own 22" roll-aboard and his own laptop. If that's what he's taking as a three year old, I can't imagine what he'll pack as an adult!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by longdrelation
This morning the mom and dad had one roll-aboard and a small carry-on, and then the three year old had his own 22" roll-aboard and his own laptop. If that's what he's taking as a three year old, I can't imagine what he'll pack as an adult!
Must have been a tall three year old to get the carry-on into the overhead bin
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I REALLY wish Alaska would police this better. I have been whacked several times by people who can't lift their own bags into the overhead and was even hospitalized when some woman tried to put a 27" in roller board in the overhead bin and she lost control, the bag hit me across the face and broke my nose, broke my glasses, and gave me a gash in my scalp.
How in the hell she got past the GA is beyond me and why the FA didn't say anything is beyond me as well.

Even on my flight to Vegas on Sunday, there were several bags too large to be carry on getting jammed into the bins. Especially to Vegas, if you can afford the trip, you can afford to check your bag.........
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity
I REALLY wish Alaska would police this better. I have been whacked several times by people who can't lift their own bags into the overhead and was even hospitalized when some woman tried to put a 27" in roller board in the overhead bin and she lost control, the bag hit me across the face and broke my nose, broke my glasses, and gave me a gash in my scalp.
How in the hell she got past the GA is beyond me and why the FA didn't say anything is beyond me as well.

Even on my flight to Vegas on Sunday, there were several bags too large to be carry on getting jammed into the bins. Especially to Vegas, if you can afford the trip, you can afford to check your bag.........
+1

Sorry to hear about your painful experience. As a former airline employee, the best protection against getting whacked in the head is to WATCH what's going on around you during the boarding process. So far (fingers crossed), I avoided being hit, whacked, or otherwise dismembered by watching what people are doing.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Emeraldcity

Sounds like a lawsuit is in order, or a settlement of some kind... No passenger shall have to endure this kind of experience. Sorry about that.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ANC
A couple weeks ago, when I flew SEA-TUS, the GA was enforcing it. She spent a good 10-20 seconds looking over my bag. I finally just walked down the jetway and asked the FA about it. They said "there's one GA that does it. Watch what happens during boarding." It took FOREVER and we ended up pushing 5-10 min late.

The FAs were complaining because they were enforcing it and it was taking forever to load a full 738.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.