Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Maximum Carry-on Size (Including personal item)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maximum Carry-on Size (Including personal item)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Appears AS passengers have baggage rules enforced ... when they fly AA.

I was flying a codeshare on AA (LAX-DEN) a week ago. When I began to board, the previously smiling GA looked at my boarding pass, made a comment about it stating I'm an Alaska Airlines frequent flier, then told me to put my bag in the sizer. Which took me out of the boarding queue and to the other side of the podium.

It's a standard 22" TravelPro roll-aboard that fit easily, and has fit easily in every 737-800 aircraft I've ever flown -- which is what I was flying that day.

I was the only passenger asked to do so before I boarded, and it only came after the AS comment by the GA. Great relationship between "partners" there.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I was the only passenger asked to do so before I boarded, and it only came after the AS comment by the GA. Great relationship between "partners" there.
I have a few AA 737-800 flights coming up this year. I guess I should leave my FF # field blank and just send in the boarding passes to AS?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 3:53 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by CDKing
I have a few AA 737-800 flights coming up this year. I guess I should leave my FF # field blank and just send in the boarding passes to AS?
Oh no, leave your FF# in the system... Just don't approach the GA and announce that you are an AS frequent flier... If they treat you bad, get their name, gate #, and hold on your flight info and report that to AA, or post it in the AA forum...

If they want to measure my bag, I would just hand it to the GA and tell them be my guest. I ain't going to bend down and prove something that is obvious [the bag is clearly within the limits] for their enjoyment.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Oh no, leave your FF# in the system... Just don't approach the GA and announce that you are an AS frequent flier... If they treat you bad, get their name, gate #, and hold on your flight info and report that to AA, or post it in the AA forum...

If they want to measure my bag, I would just hand it to the GA and tell them be my guest. I ain't going to bend down and prove something that is obvious [the bag is clearly within the limits] for their enjoyment.
I didn't announce it. It was on my BP, and the AA GA saw it and commented on it.

There is no escape.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Maybe they know that AS GAs are famously lax and so assume AS frequent flyers are more likely to push the envelope of carry-on limits...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:40 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Appears AS passengers have baggage rules enforced ... when they fly AA.
Well, for what it's worth, the only time I was ever singled out and asked to use the sizer it was when I was flying AS as an MVPG flying in F (on an upgrade). The rules are enforced occasionally, just inconsistently.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
It is what it is - with fees for checked bags, the carry-on situation will be a challenge and frustrating.

When TSA banned all liquids/gels during a prior scare, it was the perfect situation for carry-ons. There was no rush to board, no large bags carried on, no loss of overhead space....it was great.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by sigueugis
It is what it is - with fees for checked bags, the carry-on situation will be a challenge and frustrating.

When TSA banned all liquids/gels during a prior scare, it was the perfect situation for carry-ons. There was no rush to board, no large bags carried on, no loss of overhead space....it was great.
Another idea:
I like how VS has the blue plastic maximum width control wall between F and Coach. If your bag does not fit, check it. If you do not fit, buy another seat. Rather than a size-wise measurement, make the door narrower - that keeps it simple.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:51 am

Please help with choosing the best luggage

Hi all! I am trying to find an affordable & durable wheeled luggage approximately 26-29". I am a fan of Delsey but im thinking of getting something different this time around. I always over pack, unfortunately, but it would have been unnatural not to considering my gender I need a carry on as well as a check in luggage NOT in black, something classy & funky at the same time...something that will be easily recognizable from a distance. Please let me know what brand you'd recommend.
PS something light weight as I am going to Peru for 2 weeks this August and I am bringing lots of books and supplies for the kids there. I would need something that can allow me to pack as much warm stuff as possible plus the supplies needed.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:56 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Well, for what it's worth, the only time I was ever singled out and asked to use the sizer it was when I was flying AS as an MVPG flying in F (on an upgrade). The rules are enforced occasionally, just inconsistently.
the last time I mightve been singled out was when there were 732's in the fleet with the dinky bins
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:02 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I didn't announce it. It was on my BP, and the AA GA saw it and commented on it.

There is no escape.
Oh dont worry their rude to anybody and everybody below the level of AAdvantage platinum. I dont even really consider them a partner but just an airline you can book on prior to IROPS. AS flyers are probably treated better on UA after an IROPS rebooking than you are flying with their "partner" AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.