Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Any FTers attending 6/23 MVPG lunch in Spokane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, AA EXP, AB Gold, AmEx Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Cinco Estrella

Hello,

It's been almost six months since I attended an MVPG monthly lunch in downtown Portland, and I am interested in hearing how AS is doing on its various initiatives. Is anyone going to tomorrow's Spokane lunch or one of the others that are coming up? I saw that a Seattle lunch originally scheduled for July is off the list (don't know if it's canceled or just full), and I will be in VIE during the Seattle lunch in November 2010, so I am probably out of luck until next year.

If anyone is looking for questions to ask during the Q&A part of the lunch, feel free to ask any of these:

What is the status of DL's reciprocal upgrades and waived baggage fees for MP elites?

Is a similar reciprocal arrangement with AA is also in the works?

Are monthly BR passes or mileage-based memberships in the works?

Would AS ever consider choosing a less loathsome bank to service the MP credit card?

Will there be a way to redeem the yearly credit card companion voucher (the one from the MP credit card) online rather than in person with a slip of paper?
Are outlets ever coming to the first class cabin?

That's all I can come up with for now. Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:24 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by datapants
What is the status of DL's reciprocal upgrades and waived baggage fees for MP elites?
upgrades are supposed to happen later this summer. Not sure about baggage yet.

Is a similar reciprocal arrangement with AA is also in the works?
There are high level talks about reciprocal benefits going on with AA, but no timelines, and no real specifics.

Are monthly BR passes or mileage-based memberships in the works?
Mileage based memberships have been discussed, but I haven't heard anything about implementation. No talks of monthly memberships. Currently a Single Day membership is $40, and yearly membership for a Gold is only $295.

Of what benefit would a monthly membership be to you, and what price point would you consider fair?

Would AS ever consider choosing a less loathsome bank to service the MP credit card?
Doubtful.

Will there be a way to redeem the yearly credit card companion voucher (the one from the MP credit card) online rather than in person with a slip of paper?
Are you talking about the Business Card? Those went electronic in April.

Otherwise, companion certificates have been electronic for 5 years.

Are outlets ever coming to the first class cabin?
Probably, but no timeline right now.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:59 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by datapants

Originally Posted by missydarlin
upgrades are supposed to happen later this summer. Not sure about baggage yet.
All of my fingers are crossed, all toes are crossed, all strands of my hair are crossed, my legs are crossed, my arms are crossed, and I'll stop here that the timeline will stick...

Further delays would only bring me down to my knees in despair. Hey, my b-day is in Aug, so it better stick! I'll consider it my b-day gift from AS

Mileage based memberships have been discussed, but I haven't heard anything about implementation. No talks of monthly memberships. Currently a Single Day membership is $40, and yearly membership for a Gold is only $295.

Of what benefit would a monthly membership be to you, and what price point would you consider fair?
I think $295 is a decent deal considering we have access to all DL SkyClubs. The only wish I have is for AS to strike a deal with KL, AF, KE, CX, BA, etc to allow us to have access to their lounges only at hub airports when flying on that particular airline and out of AS major gateway cities [SFO, LAX, and SEA]. IE access to the AF lounge in CDG, KL in AMS, CX in HKG, etc. I know it is not a near possibility, but would be sweet! Heck, I'd be willing to pay more annually if I can get access to international partner lounges besides DL.

For points... $295 is a great deal for Golds, but if I had to pick a price I would say 40-50K and discounted by 5K for each elite tier [50K for general, 45K for MVP, 40K for MVPG, 35K for MVPG75K], or you could give complimentary BR membership for MVPG75Ks
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
I will also be attending. I'll be very curious to see updates of the partner benefits as well as to hear whether the additional mainline AS flight will stick. AS 697/696 have returned with the fall schedule, and I am very hopeful they will continue! Getting a seat at times on the early GEG-SEA flights, let alone a decent fare, has become almost farcical recently.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist

This is something Delta offers, a NWA legacy. I made use of it prior to the SkyClub rebranding and my retreat to the Alaska. My travel tends to be in concentrated spurts so it was more economical to buy only for periods when I would both be travelling and in/through club equipped airports for a decent amount of time. Delta has their price point at $90, I would expect Alaska to be priced somewhat less due to the lack of access to 25+ partner lounges. I would call 70-75 fair, it is also priced below the cost of 2 day passes so their is opportunity for upselling.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:06 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by golfingboy
if I had to pick a price I would say 40-50K and discounted by 5K for each elite tier [50K for general, 45K for MVP, 40K for MVPG, 35K for MVPG75K], or you could give complimentary BR membership for MVPG75Ks
we do a mileage plan auction for Boardroom memberships every year, and people are willing to pay over 100K for them. If it were to be open for everyone to do, I would expect the price to run 60-75K at least.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:11 am

we do a mileage plan auction for Boardroom memberships every year, and people are willing to pay over 100K for them. If it were to be open for everyone to do, I would expect the price to run 60-75K at least.
I think those people are crazy! Well, it make sense to protect the exclusivity of the BR by charging a little higher than what people would value otherwise the BR will turn into a Jungle Gym. This is what Delta does: Using SkyMiles for SkyClub Membership

General: 70K
Silver: 60K
Gold: 50K
Plat: 40K
Diamond: 40K only if they will lose their Diamond status in the upcoming year

So, perhaps something around that?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I think an east coast gold lunch is in order. Then again that would be a lot of work for the 1-2 people that will show up.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AS 75K
I'll be there. Tops on my list is whether the timeline will stick for reciprocal upgrades with DL. I'd even settle for a slip to September (sorry golfingboy) as that's my birthday.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by breidbe
I'll be there. Tops on my list is whether the timeline will stick for reciprocal upgrades with DL. I'd even settle for a slip to September (sorry golfingboy) as that's my birthday.
HEYYY!!! At least by Sept. 1st then I can handle that... I have a trip booked on Sept 3
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Wow, that is about 20 K more that it runs at AA and there are way more clubs. However, there is no soup, nor pancakes. However, there are free computers for use.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lalala
Wow, that is about 20 K more that it runs at AA and there are way more clubs. However, there is no soup, nor pancakes. However, there are free computers for use.

LAX BR has free computers... 3 of them IIRC...
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by golfingboy
LAX BR has free computers... 3 of them IIRC...
Fee or pay? The neptune network ones in ANC are pay by the minute...

breidbe, have a fun event and look foreword to hearing a report
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Meteorologist
I will also be attending. I'll be very curious to see updates of the partner benefits as well as to hear whether the additional mainline AS flight will stick. AS 697/696 have returned with the fall schedule, and I am very hopeful they will continue! Getting a seat at times on the early GEG-SEA flights, let alone a decent fare, has become almost farcical recently.
I am attending the MVPG Luncheon today in Spokane as well.
Question: what time is the AS 697/696 flights in the fall schedule?--I could not find.
My question at the lunch is about getting the 6:00am Alaska flight back--the 6:00 am Horizon flight is always oversold, not available for awards(they offer the 5am flight or the night before) and costs $20 more than the other flights during the day to SEA. So, obviously Alaska knows they could use some more capacity on this 6am flight. Now that it takes 1hour 10 minutes to get to SEA from GEG, the 7am flight misses alot of lthe connecting flights to the east coast and destination south--so again the 6am flight going to AS medal would really help out the travelers from GEG.
I hope they give this possible equipment change a good evaluation.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:12 pm

It's probably too late to post a question for the lunch today, but just in case.... There hasn't been any sort of news about Icelandair in a while, is Alaska still planning on partnering with them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.