LAX-PRC / FLG
LAX-BOI
LAX-RDM
SMF-SBA
SEA-ACV / RDD
BOI-IDA
Old Jun 16, 10, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
Rats, I was hoping to try the FLG flight sometime. Any idea if they are going to bring them back come summer?
Old Jun 16, 10, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I imagine they would have mentioned reinstating LAX-PRC/FLG at some point, what they said about SEA-YLW ("will be reduced by one flight in the fall, but it will be reinstated during the busier winter season") if that was their intent, instead of saying "discontinuing".

I'm guessing this means I_Hate_US_Airways is off for greener pastures...
Old Jun 16, 10, 3:31 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
http://www.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom...616_115008.asp

Looks like QX is ending the following:

LAX-PRC / FLG
LAX-BOI
LAX-RDM
SMF-SBA
SEA-ACV / RDD
BOI-IDA
Not surprised with the cancellations and service reductions on routes longer than 500 miles... Nobody wants to be stuck in a Q400 on these flights... I have always connected in SEA/PDX when flying to those destinations just for that reason.

SMF-SBA, not surprised since the O/D on this route is sparse with absolutely 0 connection opportunities, there are not enough "state" offices in the SBA region and government traffic is at a minimum there [on top of the state financial crisis]. Want a route that is government heavy in CA, BUR-SMF is the answer, but WN flies that route 9 or 10 times a day.
Old Jun 16, 10, 3:32 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
thats too bad, i enjoyed my PRC/FLG trip.
Old Jun 16, 10, 3:36 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I'm guessing this means I_Hate_US_Airways is off for greener pastures...
IIRC, he has a 2nd home in the Prescott region, so that means he will need to drive all the way down to PHX to catch a flight or fly on Great Lakes to DEN...

However, we can agree he is not going to be thrilled about the idea of flying on United after he crosses the 100/125K mark... Oh wait, theres always US Airways
Old Jun 16, 10, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

I'm disappointed in some of the route cancellations. SEA-RDD/ACV for instance. This leaves LAX-RDD/ACV and that's pretty much it. I'm also disappointed in the loss of FLG/PRC, but not surprised. I wish Horizon would have done better on this route, which could have encouraged some further eastward expansion from LAX. LAX really seems to be having trouble keeping new service.
Old Jun 16, 10, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
I'm disappointed in some of the route cancellations. SEA-RDD/ACV for instance. This leaves LAX-RDD/ACV and that's pretty much it. I'm also disappointed in the loss of FLG/PRC, but not surprised. I wish Horizon would have done better on this route, which could have encouraged some further eastward expansion from LAX. LAX really seems to be having trouble keeping new service.
Not quite, although FLG/PRC is very disappointing, we still fly from LAX to RNO/STS/MMH/LTO/LAP/ACV/RDD/MFR and soon SJC.
Old Jun 16, 10, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JPat View Post
Rats, I was hoping to try the FLG flight sometime.
Me too. As FLG has free parking, a long trip with a comperable fare would actually be a push once the ~$40 for gas from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back was factored in. Plus it looks like a fun airport.
Old Jun 16, 10, 5:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS MVPG, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG
Have the Fall changes been posted to the reservations systems yet?
Old Jun 16, 10, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MileKing View Post
Have the Fall changes been posted to the reservations systems yet?
I tried pricing FLG-SEA on August 26th and it came back with an error message saying no flights found.
Old Jun 16, 10, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
I'll just post the same thing I did on a.net on here and see what you folks have to say. Sorry if being so critical of QX ruffles some feathers...

I wondered how much longer some of the mid/longer distance regional flights into LAX would last after GEG-LAX was axed last year. I can't say I'm shocked to see LAX-BOI and LAX-RDM are among the casualties. In addition, the BOI--IDA service seemed like it was always having some sort of a sale, so I'm sure the route struggled. Hopefully QX doesn't just exit the mid/longer regional routes altogether, but it certainly seems they are trending that way. I just don't see their product with 29" pitch and no recline as competitive against all their competition that seem to be adding F to 70 seat RJs, let alone a mainline flight from anyone else. That's coming from an AS MVPG, too. I like the complimentary wine/beer, but I'd need an awful lot of it to willingly sit on QX for more than an hour.
Old Jun 16, 10, 6:05 pm

Horizon to cancel LAX-PRC service 8/22

http://prescottdailycourier.com/main...rticleID=82219

Buggah. I've taken this a couple of times, and it really beats flying to PHX and then fighting the traffic on I-17.
Old Jun 16, 10, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RASMguy View Post
Not quite, although FLG/PRC is very disappointing, we still fly from LAX to RNO/STS/MMH/LTO/LAP/ACV/RDD/MFR and soon SJC.
I would agree that we still have a fair amount of service from LAX but losing RDM, BOI, FLG and PRC from LAX in one fell swoop isn't a little bit of bad news for the LAX base. Let's not forget about the cancellation of YYC, GEG and SFO flights on AS. Yes, they are gaining 4 new SJC flights on Horizon. We'll see how long those last competing against $49 fares on 10 Southwest flights a day, 3 United Express flights a day and 6 American Eagle flights a day. I hope they do great but the LAX schedule isn't as robust as it used to be when you look at AS and QX combined.
Old Jun 16, 10, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Meteorologist
I'll just post the same thing I did on a.net on here and see what you folks have to say. Sorry if being so critical of QX ruffles some feathers...

I wondered how much longer some of the mid/longer distance regional flights into LAX would last after GEG-LAX was axed last year. I can't say I'm shocked to see LAX-BOI and LAX-RDM are among the casualties. In addition, the BOI--IDA service seemed like it was always having some sort of a sale, so I'm sure the route struggled. Hopefully QX doesn't just exit the mid/longer regional routes altogether, but it certainly seems they are trending that way. I just don't see their product with 29" pitch and no recline as competitive against all their competition that seem to be adding F to 70 seat RJs, let alone a mainline flight from anyone else. That's coming from an AS MVPG, too. I like the complimentary wine/beer, but I'd need an awful lot of it to willingly sit on QX for more than an hour.
I would agree; 75 (no more than 90) minutes is my limit on the Q400; basically about like SEA-BOI. It's a fantastic short hop aircraft but after a while the prop noise gets to be a little too much.

Search this Thread