FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Fall schedule changes at Horizon / Alaska (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1096281-fall-schedule-changes-horizon-alaska.html)

AS Flyer Jun 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Fall schedule changes at Horizon / Alaska

http://www.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom...616_115008.asp

Looks like QX is ending the following:

LAX-PRC / FLG
LAX-BOI
LAX-RDM
SMF-SBA
SEA-ACV / RDD
BOI-IDA

JPat Jun 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Rats, I was hoping to try the FLG flight sometime. Any idea if they are going to bring them back come summer?

eponymous_coward Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I imagine they would have mentioned reinstating LAX-PRC/FLG at some point, what they said about SEA-YLW ("will be reduced by one flight in the fall, but it will be reinstated during the busier winter season") if that was their intent, instead of saying "discontinuing".

I'm guessing this means I_Hate_US_Airways is off for greener pastures...

golfingboy Jun 16, 2010 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer (Post 14144156)
http://www.alaskasworld.com/Newsroom...616_115008.asp

Looks like QX is ending the following:

LAX-PRC / FLG
LAX-BOI
LAX-RDM
SMF-SBA
SEA-ACV / RDD
BOI-IDA

Not surprised with the cancellations and service reductions on routes longer than 500 miles... Nobody wants to be stuck in a Q400 on these flights... I have always connected in SEA/PDX when flying to those destinations just for that reason.

SMF-SBA, not surprised since the O/D on this route is sparse with absolutely 0 connection opportunities, there are not enough "state" offices in the SBA region and government traffic is at a minimum there [on top of the state financial crisis]. Want a route that is government heavy in CA, BUR-SMF is the answer, but WN flies that route 9 or 10 times a day.

maokh Jun 16, 2010 2:32 pm

thats too bad, i enjoyed my PRC/FLG trip.

golfingboy Jun 16, 2010 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 14144261)
I'm guessing this means I_Hate_US_Airways is off for greener pastures...

IIRC, he has a 2nd home in the Prescott region, so that means he will need to drive all the way down to PHX to catch a flight or fly on Great Lakes to DEN...

However, we can agree he is not going to be thrilled about the idea of flying on United after he crosses the 100/125K mark... Oh wait, theres always US Airways :D

AS Flyer Jun 16, 2010 3:05 pm

I'm disappointed in some of the route cancellations. SEA-RDD/ACV for instance. This leaves LAX-RDD/ACV and that's pretty much it. I'm also disappointed in the loss of FLG/PRC, but not surprised. I wish Horizon would have done better on this route, which could have encouraged some further eastward expansion from LAX. LAX really seems to be having trouble keeping new service.

RASMguy Jun 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer (Post 14144499)
I'm disappointed in some of the route cancellations. SEA-RDD/ACV for instance. This leaves LAX-RDD/ACV and that's pretty much it. I'm also disappointed in the loss of FLG/PRC, but not surprised. I wish Horizon would have done better on this route, which could have encouraged some further eastward expansion from LAX. LAX really seems to be having trouble keeping new service.

Not quite, although FLG/PRC is very disappointing, we still fly from LAX to RNO/STS/MMH/LTO/LAP/ACV/RDD/MFR and soon SJC.

CMK10 Jun 16, 2010 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JPat (Post 14144233)
Rats, I was hoping to try the FLG flight sometime.

Me too. As FLG has free parking, a long trip with a comperable fare would actually be a push once the ~$40 for gas from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back was factored in. Plus it looks like a fun airport.

MileKing Jun 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Have the Fall changes been posted to the reservations systems yet?

CMK10 Jun 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by MileKing (Post 14144804)
Have the Fall changes been posted to the reservations systems yet?

I tried pricing FLG-SEA on August 26th and it came back with an error message saying no flights found.

Meteorologist Jun 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I'll just post the same thing I did on a.net on here and see what you folks have to say. Sorry if being so critical of QX ruffles some feathers...

I wondered how much longer some of the mid/longer distance regional flights into LAX would last after GEG-LAX was axed last year. I can't say I'm shocked to see LAX-BOI and LAX-RDM are among the casualties. In addition, the BOI--IDA service seemed like it was always having some sort of a sale, so I'm sure the route struggled. Hopefully QX doesn't just exit the mid/longer regional routes altogether, but it certainly seems they are trending that way. I just don't see their product with 29" pitch and no recline as competitive against all their competition that seem to be adding F to 70 seat RJs, let alone a mainline flight from anyone else. That's coming from an AS MVPG, too. I like the complimentary wine/beer, but I'd need an awful lot of it to willingly sit on QX for more than an hour.

chucko Jun 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Horizon to cancel LAX-PRC service 8/22

http://prescottdailycourier.com/main...rticleID=82219

Buggah. I've taken this a couple of times, and it really beats flying to PHX and then fighting the traffic on I-17.

AS Flyer Jun 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by RASMguy (Post 14144626)
Not quite, although FLG/PRC is very disappointing, we still fly from LAX to RNO/STS/MMH/LTO/LAP/ACV/RDD/MFR and soon SJC.

I would agree that we still have a fair amount of service from LAX but losing RDM, BOI, FLG and PRC from LAX in one fell swoop isn't a little bit of bad news for the LAX base. Let's not forget about the cancellation of YYC, GEG and SFO flights on AS. Yes, they are gaining 4 new SJC flights on Horizon. We'll see how long those last competing against $49 fares on 10 Southwest flights a day, 3 United Express flights a day and 6 American Eagle flights a day. I hope they do great but the LAX schedule isn't as robust as it used to be when you look at AS and QX combined.

Chugach Jun 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by Meteorologist
I'll just post the same thing I did on a.net on here and see what you folks have to say. Sorry if being so critical of QX ruffles some feathers...

I wondered how much longer some of the mid/longer distance regional flights into LAX would last after GEG-LAX was axed last year. I can't say I'm shocked to see LAX-BOI and LAX-RDM are among the casualties. In addition, the BOI--IDA service seemed like it was always having some sort of a sale, so I'm sure the route struggled. Hopefully QX doesn't just exit the mid/longer regional routes altogether, but it certainly seems they are trending that way. I just don't see their product with 29" pitch and no recline as competitive against all their competition that seem to be adding F to 70 seat RJs, let alone a mainline flight from anyone else. That's coming from an AS MVPG, too. I like the complimentary wine/beer, but I'd need an awful lot of it to willingly sit on QX for more than an hour.

I would agree; 75 (no more than 90) minutes is my limit on the Q400; basically about like SEA-BOI. It's a fantastic short hop aircraft but after a while the prop noise gets to be a little too much.