Fall schedule changes at Horizon / Alaska

Old Jun 17, 10, 10:15 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; UA Mileage Plus; Hawaiian Miles
When I read the headline about Horizon pulling the Arcata/Eureka-Seattle route in the Eureka Times Standard this morning, my heart dropped. Losing the DL flights to SLC last year was hard enough. I was finally able to get to MCI and EWR in less than 8 hours and avoid wx delays in SFO. I have flown ACV-PDX/SEA several times a year since I moved to Humboldt County in January 2001. Back then QX flew three SEA-PDX-ACV/RDD-PDX-SEA flights a day on the Q200. Some flights stopped in RDD first and others ACV first. Back then the schedule was far more convenient. There was an early morning flight, a early afternoon flight and a late afternoon flight. That allowed me to work almost a full day on Thursday or Friday and be in Seattle before 10pm. Sunday, I would fly home on the last southbound flight of the day. That made for a great weekend.

When QX added ACV/RDD-LAX flights and cut the northbound route to PDX down to once a day the schedule stopped being convenient. I understand QX needs to keep aircraft in the air all day, but the only northbound flight left ACV around noon and got into SEA too late for connections to the Midwest and East Coast. Last December, I had a 6 hour layover in SEA when I flew ACV-FAI. What would work better would be a first thing in the morning northbound and late evening southbound to ACV/RDD. That allows for optimum connections to/from all over the world.

Not sure how much I will be able to fly on AS/QX anymore. I don't fly to SoCal often. I expect that flying QX between ACV-SEA/PDX via LAX will be prohibitively expensive. I have been a frequent flier member since 1995 when I went to the U of O and flew out of EUG regularly. Planning on flying up to FAI next December. Guess I will drive up to MFR and fly out of there. A long drive after a long flight will not be fun. Other than that, I guess I will ditch my AS credit card and get a UA credit card. Maybe UAEx will add flights to PDX like they did out of OTH and LMT.

What bad news this morning. What else could go wrong?
Old Jun 17, 10, 10:28 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ACVFlyer View Post
I have been a frequent flier member since 1995 when I went to the U of O and flew out of EUG regularly.
That's the same year I joined MP while going to school at the UofO.
Old Jun 17, 10, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Maybe they have some secret plan up their sleeves like the C-series aircraft...one can hope. RIP to all the lost service.
Old Jun 17, 10, 12:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chucko View Post
http://prescottdailycourier.com/main...rticleID=82219

Buggah. I've taken this a couple of times, and it really beats flying to PHX and then fighting the traffic on I-17.
Well, the one nice thing in PHX is that the construction on I-17 is done for now. 4 lanes all the way out to Carefree Highway and 3 lanes up to Anthem. It makes the drive through Phoenix a LOT more pleasant (as long as you're not driving during rush hour).
Old Jun 17, 10, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Also sorry to see IDA service dropped (again). Fares to IDA were usually jaw-dropping, so loads must have been minuscule enough that even high fares couldn't make the routes profitable.
Which of course leads me to reminisce when Western Airlines flew 727s to PIH and IDA...
Old Jun 17, 10, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by dieselbear View Post
Which of course leads me to reminisce when Western Airlines flew 727s to PIH and IDA...
And the fares weren't "jaw dropping" back then??? Adjust them for 35 years of inflation and let us know...
Old Jun 17, 10, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
That being said... I bet at SOME point, AS is going to add F to the Q400s, given that everyone and their uncle is doing it for THEIR regional ops.
Based on the aircraft's center of gravity, I'm not sure F seats would work in the front. Maybe in the back...
Old Jun 17, 10, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Hertz #1 Pres Cir
Originally Posted by sxf24 View Post
Based on the aircraft's center of gravity, I'm not sure F seats would work in the front. Maybe in the back...
Then again, let's say you're also taking out two rows at the front to make room for a couple rows of F - that's removing both the seats and the people sitting in them.
Old Jun 17, 10, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by davew-krdm View Post
Then again, let's say you're also taking out two rows at the front to make room for a couple rows of F - that's removing both the seats and the people sitting in them.
Only 1 row comes out. 6 seats total gone (the 1 row of 4, and 1 in each of 2 rows of F). The heavy ovens for the F meal service will make up the difference.
Old Jun 17, 10, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I was thinking more solid gold thrones...
Old Jun 18, 10, 12:16 am

Golds,

Please inform Alaska/ Horizon, through luncheons, email, or which ever type of correspondence necessary, of your opinions related to fleet and service decisions.
Old Jun 18, 10, 10:10 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Oh drats here I was hoping the thread would read that they are keeping ANC-ORD x2 daily year round or keeping the red eye and eliminating the 8am for the winter......well I can dream right
Old Jun 18, 10, 2:50 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Red face

Originally Posted by ANC View Post
Oh drats here I was hoping the thread would read that they are keeping ANC-ORD x2 daily year round or keeping the red eye and eliminating the 8am for the winter......well I can dream right
We can DREAM* my friend!!!

*Unless you live in either Prescott or Flagstaff, then not even Santa cares about your dreams )-:
Old Jun 20, 10, 12:45 am

Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by freebeernwine View Post
Golds,

Please inform Alaska/ Horizon, through luncheons, email, or which ever type of correspondence necessary, of your opinions related to fleet and service decisions.
I don't think it matters. The bean counters have already made up their mind. We GOLDs will have to go with the program, or fly other airlines.
Old Jun 21, 10, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways View Post
We can DREAM* my friend!!!

*Unless you live in either Prescott or Flagstaff, then not even Santa cares about your dreams )-:
Then again, we can blow things way out of proportion like we often do around here! Not enough of you up in Northern Arizona used the service. Thus, QX made the correct business decision to withdraw the service. I guess you can always fly...gasp...US Airways.

Search this Thread