Best time of year to Status Match

Old Jun 15, 10, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Best time of year to Status Match

Sorry about the typing, I am in Managua and cannot find the question mark or the apostrophy on this keyboard...but it is good to be here.
I am planning to change over from American to Alaska as they have better flights out of PDX for me. I am AA Platinum. I did some searching, and it looks like Alaska will probably stat match me to MVP Gold. My future flights for this year will be later in the year...Oct, Nov, Dec but I will not make 40,000 miles between now and the end of the year. It takes me all year. If I ask for the match now, I assume it will only be good until Feb of 2011. If I wait until Aug or Sept, will the matched status carry over to Feb 2012. Any ideas you have on the best time to make the switch would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jun 15, 10, 3:32 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Thanks for asking. You are correct in assuming that a match now would only be good through the rest of this year. Typically a match for the following year is granted some time in October through December. Also be aware that AS status ends 12/31 at 23hrs59min59seconds. The status will still be available to you a week or 2 after that(until AS resets the mileage accruals) should status not have been renewed for that year. They do not honor status to Feb of the new year like say DL or AA does.
Old Jun 15, 10, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Thank you, ANC. I'll wait until fall to apply.
Old Jul 1, 10, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
I posted this on the AA board and was advised that status matches after September would most likely go to the following year, however, I emailed AS and they said that all status matches would expire at the end of the year.\

When I originally contacted AA, I asked if I booked AS via AA would my elite status apply for seat selection and was told no. I did learn after I booked directly through AS, that I would have the elite seat selection but it was too late.

Since my flight is October 1, I know that I will not have the opportunity to qualify on miles after the status match. Does anyone have any definitive answer for the timing?
Old Jul 1, 10, 3:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound View Post
Since my flight is October 1, I know that I will not have the opportunity to qualify on miles after the status match. Does anyone have any definitive answer for the timing?
Like ANC said, any status matches made on or after October 1st will be good until December of the following year [Dec. 2011]....
Old Jul 1, 10, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Like ANC said, any status matches made on or after October 1st will be good until December of the following year [Dec. 2011]....
Thank you! As I am flying on October 1, I will request the status match sooner rather than later so I can qualify for row 6 or the exit row. I will probably be flying AS in 2011 and will attempt to book via AA so that even without AS elite status, I can book a better seat.
Old Jul 1, 10, 6:59 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound View Post
Thank you! As I am flying on October 1, I will request the status match sooner rather than later so I can qualify for row 6 or the exit row. I will probably be flying AS in 2011 and will attempt to book via AA so that even without AS elite status, I can book a better seat.
I wouldn't burn my single lifetime status match for one flight unless it was REALLY important for both me and a companion (eg, wedding or honeymoon with spouse).

If you only have a single flight you're targeting, checkin at T-24 and you'll more than likely be able to snag a decent seat as the elite seats open up for everyone.
Old Jul 1, 10, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
I wouldn't burn my single lifetime status match for one flight unless it was REALLY important for both me and a companion (eg, wedding or honeymoon with spouse).

If you only have a single flight you're targeting, checkin at T-24 and you'll more than likely be able to snag a decent seat as the elite seats open up for everyone.
Thanks for the advice Baliktad: Since we live in Hawaii and this is a multi-segment flight, I don't want to be jammed in with spouse (he is 6'3") if I can help it. Our first leg is on Oct 1 and then on the 6th, returning home on the 12th. If I knew that we would only have to suffer on the flight from KOA to SJC (approx. 4 1/2 hours with good tailwind), and then be granted status match - it might be worth waiting until Oct 1 to request it.
Old Jul 11, 10, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
Umm, not sure if that is necessarily the best advice. Remember, "lifetime" means the life of the airline, and I think it more than likely that AS will be bought or merged in the next few years.

Consider the following: I status matched to NW Gold before the DL merger. After the merger I received DL Gold, and then a soft landing the following year to DL Silver.

Of course, using this logic one might wait until an AS merger was announced to maximize the benefit of a status match. But I wouldn't worry too much about the "once in a lifetime" rule.
Old Jul 13, 10, 4:49 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
, and I think it more than likely that AS will be bought or merged in the next few years.

I dont. You are comparing NW to AS. An airline with old decrepit planes and losing money. AS has a new fleet, is making a profit, and has high customer service ratings. NW=soft target. AS=very hard target. Of course any airline can be gone at a wink of an eye it seems but there are way easier targets to pick off than AS. I wouldnt be surprised if AS was a buyer rather than becoming the bought.
Old Jul 13, 10, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Wishful thinking.

I also hope that AS would remain independent and expand. Felt the same way about PSA, AirCal, Piedmont, Reno Air and other fine smaller carriers. Sadly they were all gobbled up and ruined. I hope that doesn't happen here but history is not so kind. Of course, this is all somewhat OT and worthy of its own thread. Mea culpa.
Old Jul 14, 10, 5:50 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. Based on having the status through 2011, I will wait until October 1 (day of my 1st flight) to request a status match. I am hopeful they will match it by my second flight on 10/6.

Search this Thread