FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Terminal C in SEA needs more power outlets (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1095273-terminal-c-sea-needs-more-power-outlets.html)

shuckit Jun 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Terminal C in SEA needs more power outlets

I'm sitting next to gate C17 with my laptop plugged into a dead electrical outlet (not charging just too lazy to unplug it). There is a constant stream of fellow travelers cruising the perimeter looking for a power plug. 4 people have stopped by to enquire about the status of my outlet. Demand is outpacing supply.

The port of seattle needs to help out their customers. Charge me 50 cents for the 85 watt hours I need to keep my laptop battery topped up so I can get on a transcon and continue to work!

Or Alaska could put power outlets in the front half of their 800s and 900s so then I don't have to troll the concourses looking for juice.

BLI-Flyer Jun 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Some of us know where all of the outlets are . . . and we ain't tellin'. :)

beckoa Jun 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer (Post 14126652)
Some of us know where all of the outlets are . . . and we ain't tellin'. :)

And we enjoy the soup that goes with it too ;)

longdrelation Jun 13, 2010 10:44 pm

Ahhh, the summer travel season. I noticed the same thing in Terminal C as I deplaned on Friday and again as I walked to my gate this afternoon in C. I did notice two creative guys - one who had a surge protector plugged in, so he instantly quadrupled the outlet availability, and the other who swiped a chair from who-knows-where to sit near a bathroom while he charged.
After flying a few times with the GoGo and a macbook, I no longer see the need for the outlets I used to ask for. HI and AK flights are amongst the longest, and there is no real GoGo access there anyway. On my transcon DL flights the outlets below my seat in the 757 are as old and filled with grime from lack of use as they can be.
That said, some do need the power, and I love the WN set-ups at the gates. If they don't have a cushy chair for you to sit in that has a built in outlet, the standard issue SEA terminal seats have outlets underneath. I've noticed WN do this at PHL, MSP, LAX, and SEA. Maybe AS could do it, too?

hgdf Jun 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 14127387)
And we enjoy the soup that goes with it too ;)

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to rub it in.

Since I've gone to using the iPad, power outlets are basically irrelevant. Who really needs all that crap spread out all over the place?

beckoa Jun 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by longdrelation (Post 14127663)
Ahhh, the summer travel season. I noticed the same thing in Terminal C as I deplaned on Friday and again as I walked to my gate this afternoon in C. I did notice two creative guys - one who had a surge protector plugged in, so he instantly quadrupled the outlet availability, and the other who swiped a chair from who-knows-where to sit near a bathroom while he charged.
After flying a few times with the GoGo and a macbook, I no longer see the need for the outlets I used to ask for. HI and AK flights are amongst the longest, and there is no real GoGo access there anyway. On my transcon DL flights the outlets below my seat in the 757 are as old and filled with grime from lack of use as they can be.
That said, some do need the power, and I love the WN set-ups at the gates. If they don't have a cushy chair for you to sit in that has a built in outlet, the standard issue SEA terminal seats have outlets underneath. I've noticed WN do this at PHL, MSP, LAX, and SEA. Maybe AS could do it, too?

I used to travel with a 3 way splitter to solve this issue myself :o

EIPremier Jun 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Any chance AS might consider remodeling its gate areas the same way that WN has, adding some comfy chairs and power outlets? It can't cost all that much money and makes the waiting experience much more pleasant.

AS used to have a set up sort of like this at SJC before they demolished that part of the terminal (minus the comfy chairs).

golfingboy Jun 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by EIPremier (Post 14133497)
Any chance AS might consider remodeling its gate areas the same way that WN has, adding some comfy chairs and power outlets? It can't cost all that much money and makes the waiting experience much more pleasant.

AS used to have a set up sort of like this at SJC before they demolished that part of the terminal (minus the comfy chairs).

:p but I always notice there are only several chairs tops, so people might go crazy trying to grab a seat the minute one opens up.

Delta has those Samsung "mobile" outlet substations in JFK and I think that would work well in SEA since the substation is relatively cheap...

longdrelation Jun 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14133677)
:p but I always notice there are only several chairs tops, so people might go crazy trying to grab a seat the minute one opens up.

Delta has those Samsung "mobile" outlet substations in JFK and I think that would work well in SEA since the substation is relatively cheap...

I've seen those "mobile" outlet substations, but they require you to stand and congregate around them. I think you are only seeing the cushy, wood/pleather outlet chairs...the black, drab, standard issue banks of black gate chairs all have outlets underneath them at the WN gates.
It will be interesting to see the new T-B at SJC, because the AS gates will be right next to the WN gates, but the WN gates are the ones with outlets. Maybe AS will get the hint (especially with a new terminal and all) and then it will spread to the rest of the network?

golfingboy Jun 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by longdrelation (Post 14133899)
I've seen those "mobile" outlet substations, but they require you to stand and congregate around them.

Yeah, depends on how they position those substations... In some areas they would put it in the middle of the seats allowing customers to sit and charge their devices.

BTW, when in T2 at JFK try to sit near the SC for free WIFI ;)

ANC Jun 16, 2010 7:48 am

I dont even bother looking for outlets open in C anymore. If I really am going to have the laptop on until the battery goes dead I am obviously there for a long layover of at least 2 hours. So in that case when I feel the desire to plug in my laptop or other device I just stroll over to D gates. Plenty of outlets over there