Search

MVP upgrades to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
MVP upgrades to Hawaii

What are the chances of catching an MVP upgrade from OAK-KOA and vice versa (midweek offseason)?

Alternatively would be willing to purchase UFC assuming any were available.

Does not appear that the fares will qualify for mileage upgrades so won't be able to confirm prior to MVP window.

Also if one passenger is MVP and one isn't (same record), does that put you farther back in the queue?

Note: My search found quite a few upgrade threads for MVP Golds and some info on SEA but little for OAK.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Boraxo
What are the chances of catching an MVP upgrade from OAK-KOA and vice versa (midweek offseason)?

Alternatively would be willing to purchase UFC assuming any were available.

Does not appear that the fares will qualify for mileage upgrades so won't be able to confirm prior to MVP window.

Also if one passenger is MVP and one isn't (same record), does that put you farther back in the queue?

Note: My search found quite a few upgrade threads for MVP Golds and some info on SEA but little for OAK.
Well companion upgrades are not available for companions of MVP's (Gold/75K perk) so you would have to split the PNR for that to happen in the first place. When are you looking at going to KOA? I'd say upgrades depend on the season, as F may be quite full already... Not sure this is that elite heavy of a route yet. Also the frequency might change the dynamics too. But I know of several FT'ers vying for upgrades on this route (most I think have used certs though... including myself KOA-OAK last month)
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
If I recall correctly, MVP's with companions are not able to request complimentary upgrades, because the upgrade won't let 2 people on the same itinerary sit in different cabins. Book separately if you're an MVP.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Word on the street is that SJC, OAK, and SAN have very few elites flying on the hawaii routes, so the chances of an MVP upgrade is very high.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:15 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by baliktad
If I recall correctly, MVP's with companions are not able to request complimentary upgrades, because the upgrade won't let 2 people on the same itinerary sit in different cabins. Book separately if you're an MVP.
They can split the record in this case, and waitlist the MVP for an upgrade. The only exception to that is if the B of A companion certificate was used. In that case, they cannot split the record, and both companions must fly in the same cabin, so no possibility of MVP upgrade.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by maokh
Word on the street is that SJC, OAK, and SAN have very few elites flying on the hawaii routes, so the chances of an MVP upgrade is very high.
Thanks for the head's up. Now I'll jump on a flight to KOA out of SJC if it's so light on MVP/G!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by baliktad
Alas, Mrs. B won't be too happy if I leave her in coach, so it's either economy or divorce court

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
They can split the record in this case, and waitlist the MVP for an upgrade. The only exception to that is if the B of A companion certificate was used. In that case, they cannot split the record, and both companions must fly in the same cabin, so no possibility of MVP upgrade.
Using BofA cert, so I guess divorce court is out

Looks like we will have to take our chances with UFC when the window opens.

Thanks everyone for the quick response.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:21 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
you could always upgrade and give her the seat.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Alas, Mrs. B won't be too happy if I leave her in coach, so it's either economy or divorce court

Using BofA cert, so I guess divorce court is out

Looks like we will have to take our chances with UFC when the window opens.

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

Be sure and check in right at 24 hrs to see if you are offered the day of flight upgrade. I think it's a $100-$150. I sat next to a couple women on my flight from OAK-KOA that paid for the UG when they checked in.
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The problem is that won't be offered on the dirt cheap fares... airport only for those ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.