FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   MVP upgrades to Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1094127-mvp-upgrades-hawaii.html)

Boraxo Jun 9, 2010 4:30 pm

MVP upgrades to Hawaii

What are the chances of catching an MVP upgrade from OAK-KOA and vice versa (midweek offseason)?

Alternatively would be willing to purchase UFC assuming any were available.

Does not appear that the fares will qualify for mileage upgrades so won't be able to confirm prior to MVP window.

Also if one passenger is MVP and one isn't (same record), does that put you farther back in the queue?

Note: My search found quite a few upgrade threads for MVP Golds and some info on SEA but little for OAK.

beckoa Jun 9, 2010 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14106614)
What are the chances of catching an MVP upgrade from OAK-KOA and vice versa (midweek offseason)?

Alternatively would be willing to purchase UFC assuming any were available.

Does not appear that the fares will qualify for mileage upgrades so won't be able to confirm prior to MVP window.

Also if one passenger is MVP and one isn't (same record), does that put you farther back in the queue?

Note: My search found quite a few upgrade threads for MVP Golds and some info on SEA but little for OAK.

Well companion upgrades are not available for companions of MVP's (Gold/75K perk) so you would have to split the PNR for that to happen in the first place. When are you looking at going to KOA? I'd say upgrades depend on the season, as F may be quite full already... Not sure this is that elite heavy of a route yet. Also the frequency might change the dynamics too. But I know of several FT'ers vying for upgrades on this route (most I think have used certs though... including myself KOA-OAK last month)

baliktad Jun 9, 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14106614)

If I recall correctly, MVP's with companions are not able to request complimentary upgrades, because the upgrade won't let 2 people on the same itinerary sit in different cabins. Book separately if you're an MVP.

maokh Jun 9, 2010 6:06 pm

Word on the street is that SJC, OAK, and SAN have very few elites flying on the hawaii routes, so the chances of an MVP upgrade is very high.

ANC RED-EYE Jun 9, 2010 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 14106710)
If I recall correctly, MVP's with companions are not able to request complimentary upgrades, because the upgrade won't let 2 people on the same itinerary sit in different cabins. Book separately if you're an MVP.

They can split the record in this case, and waitlist the MVP for an upgrade. The only exception to that is if the B of A companion certificate was used. In that case, they cannot split the record, and both companions must fly in the same cabin, so no possibility of MVP upgrade.

longdrelation Jun 9, 2010 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by maokh (Post 14107029)
Word on the street is that SJC, OAK, and SAN have very few elites flying on the hawaii routes, so the chances of an MVP upgrade is very high.

Thanks for the head's up. Now I'll jump on a flight to KOA out of SJC if it's so light on MVP/G! :)

Boraxo Jun 10, 2010 1:01 am

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 14106710)

Alas, Mrs. B won't be too happy if I leave her in coach, so it's either economy or divorce court :D

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 14107074)
They can split the record in this case, and waitlist the MVP for an upgrade. The only exception to that is if the B of A companion certificate was used. In that case, they cannot split the record, and both companions must fly in the same cabin, so no possibility of MVP upgrade.

Using BofA cert, so I guess divorce court is out :D

Looks like we will have to take our chances with UFC when the window opens.

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

maokh Jun 10, 2010 1:21 am

you could always upgrade and give her the seat.

Duckouttahere Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 14108659)
Alas, Mrs. B won't be too happy if I leave her in coach, so it's either economy or divorce court :D

Using BofA cert, so I guess divorce court is out :D

Looks like we will have to take our chances with UFC when the window opens.

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

Be sure and check in right at 24 hrs to see if you are offered the day of flight upgrade. I think it's a $100-$150. I sat next to a couple women on my flight from OAK-KOA that paid for the UG when they checked in.

eponymous_coward Jun 10, 2010 10:51 am

The problem is that won't be offered on the dirt cheap fares... airport only for those ones.