Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

CX HKG-Australia redemption in J? Anyone done this?

Old Jun 3, 10, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium

I've got plans to cash in some newly minted US miles for travel, and one of the possibilities is using AS miles to go piggyback with them and go HKG-BNE/SYD.

From what I can tell in the FAQ in the CX forum, three-class planes are not typically used on the Australia/NZ flights, so cashing in for F is sort of a waste of miles. I mean, I'm sure the first class lounges in HKG are nice and all, but I think CX business would probably be OK on a two-class plane flying ~4500 miles, and I'm not spending 30,000 miles for a lounge. (It also strikes me that 60K redemption for a ~4500 mile flight in lie-flat on a good carrier is reasonably good value for miles- it's comparable to some East-Coast-Europe flights.)

Curious if the availability is something like a low-mileage DL flight (hahahahahaha, good luck, you'll need it), or more like AA (where there's reasonable availability in advance for a seat unless it's the crush of peak season, with reasonable flexibility for dates). This would be June '11 (so very late fall in Australia, coming into winter).

Anyone have any intel? Is there ExpertFlyer inventory to look at or something?
Old Jun 3, 10, 11:27 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Complicated issue & apparently not so easy to do, although perseverance seems to be the key. Did this thread help &/or answer your question? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...king-asia.html
Old Jun 4, 10, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
A N America-Asia roundtrip redemption is a bit different than an Asia-Australia one- for one thing, DL's not a potential redemption partner for the latter. For another, sometimes award inventory is more available on a partner carrier when it doesn't involve North America- for instance, from what I can tell, SQ partner award inventory ex-NA on three-class longhaul is much more restricted than on SQ Asia two-class medium/shorthaul out of SIN.

I suppose asking in the AA/BA forum's more likely to produce a hit, since they are bigger programs more likely to have someone redeeming as a partner on CX with a non-NA origination.
Old Jun 4, 10, 2:06 am

I was able to piece together an itinerary from USA-HKG-USA on NW and another on CX HKG-SYD-HKG. total was 150K (NW was only 90K TPAC then, even as Worldperks was 120K). I had to book 5 months out and I got the only availability on CX for that month.

But it was the only way to get to Oz. QF never has availability, and BA would have wanted the surcharge, not to mention flying the long way around.

So -- book 6 months out and you have a shot.
Old Jun 4, 10, 9:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
But it was the only way to get to Oz. QF never has availability, and BA would have wanted the surcharge, not to mention flying the long way around.

So -- book 6 months out and you have a shot.
Never? I've been able to book QF to Australia without any problems 3 times using my AS miles. Once was 9 months out, once 5 months out, and once 3 weeks out.

I was able to use the lounge on a CX Business class award ticket back in 2008. Is that no longer part of a J award ticket?
Old Jun 4, 10, 9:59 am

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I have booked YVR-HKG-SYD in J in the past, but YVR is now extremely difficult. I have had much better luck in recently using SFO as the US gateway. Remember from HKG CX flys to at least 5 Australian destinations. I have had fairly good luck using the Asia miles website to checkl CX availability, but last time it did not exactly match what you could get through AS.
I have also had luck us AS directly to Australia. Sign up as a QF FF and you can use their award engine.
Old Jun 6, 10, 10:22 pm

If you have a BA account, use their redemption search engine to look for available seats on the HKG-Aus CX flights. Although I'm not certain that seats come from the same bucket, if its been available on BA.com, I've been able to get it through AS. YMMV.
Old Jun 8, 10, 6:02 pm

When I lived in Singapore we almost used AS miles for J awards HKG-SYD on one ocassion. Availability was roughly matching up with Asia Miles availability (and that seems to line up with QF and BA award engines). We wound up finding a dirt cheap SGN-KUL-SYD biz fare on MH and so never redeemed the AS miles, but it wasn't hard to find space into one of the cities in Australia on CX.

Search this Thread