Best F Seats to HI?

Old May 20, 10, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Best F Seats to HI?

I tried the search function but came up empty. I'm taking the family to HI over Christmas. We will be sitting up front, my wife and I SAN-OGG and my son, daughter-in-law and 11 month old baby PDX-HNL. (We'll rendezvous after inter-island flights to KOA.) My sense of the AS planes is that the F seats are not very roomy. (I've flown F several times over the years PDX-SAN or SAN-PDX, but lately I've been opting for "exit row," which doesn't seem to have as much leg room as it used to.)

I know the bulkhead is a little tight, so I'm wondering which would be better for my daughter with the baby. I don't know if the baby will simply sit on my daughter-in-law's lap, or if they will try to have some kind of seat for her. I am always conflicted between sitting in the bulkhead with no real place for your feet and the need to put everything in the bins above in exchange for no one backing his seat into you. I'm thinking it might be worth it for a six hour flight, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any strong feelings one way or the other.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 20, 10, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
a recent thread has covered the new rules about no babies

to be allowed to sit in the bulkhead row, so if your concern is where to have your daughter sit with the baby, that may make your decision easier. New rule has to do with new seatbelts with installed airbags, it seems.

I was once told row 2 had the most legroom..you might want to check that out on seatguru or seatexpert.

Hope this helps
Old May 20, 10, 6:06 pm

I cant answer your question about F seats, but I thought I would give some advice on flying with a baby to Hawaii. We first flew with my son at 10 months to Hawaii. Because there was a complete empty row (in the back of the plane) they gave it to us. So I sat on one end and my husband on the other. Our son only sat in the carseat during take-off and landing. Otherwise I tried to have him with that CARES harness on or he crawled up and down our seat row (on seat, not floor). No one was around and those that saw him commented that he was better than most adults passengers. I think most airlines will give you a seat selection like this if you have a baby and if they arent full. So I would opt for economy if it gave you better odds to get a few seats together/empty. BTW, not sure if you know, when they are under 2 they dont need a ticket and that also includes the stroller and carseat. No need to pay for a seat because IF they have one empty they automatically give it to baby (for free). Then just gate check (not check in) the stroller and it will so help with the baby. But if the plane is full then baby will have to sit on a lap. Its a chance you could take. We obviously did that but I picked an odd flight that I thought might have less people and I checked the seat selector to see how full. Just thought I would give you food for thought. We fly to Alaska in a few days with a now 2 year old, so i am sure things will be different (although I will ALWAYS gate check the stroller and carseat) as I have seen how the checked ones get abused.
Old May 20, 10, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I first went to HI at 6 months

That being said... I don't remember it

I've taken quite a few flights to HI in F on AS, and find it an enjoyable experience. I'd say Row 2 is the best, as legroom is not restricted by the bulkhead or reclining into Row 4 (which is not a barrier, but a curtain)... and gives you a choice for meals (as its usually served front to back on AS). Row 3 would be my 2nd choice... but reduces odds of getting the meal you want. I personally avoid the bulkhead since I am taller and like to stretch out, and since there won't be a sub to a 734, row 4 won't disappear

So my favorite seat on the 73H (regardless of route) is 2A
Old May 21, 10, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aims1111 View Post
BTW, not sure if you know, when they are under 2 they dont need a ticket and that also includes the stroller and carseat. No need to pay for a seat because IF they have one empty they automatically give it to baby (for free). Then just gate check (not check in) the stroller and it will so help with the baby. But if the plane is full then baby will have to sit on a lap. Its a chance you could take.
While this may be true, in the event of the unspeakable, your child is much safer in an approved car seat than being held in a lap or cradled against you. Anything not secured becomes a projectile. There was a discussion of this in the UA SUX DC-10 accident report.

I don't want this to divert into a baby-safety discourse, so I'll add in that row 2 or 3 on the 73H is the best. I agree with beckoa...I was in 2A on AS11 recently EWR-SEA. V. Nice.
Old May 21, 10, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
AS's thin back seats actually make them seem a lot roomier than other domestic F cabins with equivalent pitch. All of the non-bulkhead seats are pretty much the same. My only issue with row 4 is getting the last meal choice.

In general, it's hard to go wrong with row 2 unless you get FAM-ed, and considering it's a HI flight, the FAM should only get so lucky.
Old May 21, 10, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I would agree that rows 2, 3 and 4 are all pretty similar. The only difference is you may not get your meal choice the further back you are. Row 2 is always my favorite though, assuming you don't get FAMd. Usually the FAM will be in 2C though.
Old May 21, 10, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Does the FAM have to sit in row 2? I just reserved all of row 2, both ways, for an upcoming OAK-KOA flight for my wife and I plus 2 kids. Seems silly that the FAM must sit in row 2 if other seats are open.
Old May 21, 10, 4:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mangoMan View Post
Does the FAM have to sit in row 2? I just reserved all of row 2, both ways, for an upcoming OAK-KOA flight for my wife and I plus 2 kids. Seems silly that the FAM must sit in row 2 if other seats are open.
Correct... If you are booked in Full Fare F or Award they will bump you last... Those who got upgrades will be bumped into Y first, but you will still have to move to a different seat in F.

FAMs only sits in aisle seats [my understanding], so 2A and 2D is safe.
Old May 21, 10, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Correct... If you are booked in Full Fare F or Award they will bump you last... Those who got upgrades will be bumped into Y first, but you will still have to move to a different seat in F.

FAMs only sits in aisle seats [my understanding], so 2A and 2D is safe.
(I think you mean 2A and 2F...)

I have heard that they work in pairs. I was on a trip in 2C once and strongly suspect that it was a FAM in 2D because an FA mentioned that there was "a message" for him waiting up front. He went up, conversed with the captain briefly, and returned to his seat.

After the flight, though, 2D hung back in the jetway and waited for 2A, and they both proceeded to leave together. There was no indication on the flight that they were associated, so it seems that this covert pairing is both true and intentional.

FAM's tell the airlines where they will sit, not the other way around, so I would pick seats in row 3 if you want to avoid risk of being re-assigned.
Old May 22, 10, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
(I think you mean 2A and 2F...)

I have heard that they work in pairs. I was on a trip in 2C once and strongly suspect that it was a FAM in 2D because an FA mentioned that there was "a message" for him waiting up front. He went up, conversed with the captain briefly, and returned to his seat.

After the flight, though, 2D hung back in the jetway and waited for 2A, and they both proceeded to leave together. There was no indication on the flight that they were associated, so it seems that this covert pairing is both true and intentional.

FAM's tell the airlines where they will sit, not the other way around, so I would pick seats in row 3 if you want to avoid risk of being re-assigned.
I am not sure if I've been lucky, ignorant or I just don't fly the right routes (probably the most likely) - but have not been bumped or to my knowledge encountered one... and I'd guess HI routes are not the largest routes for these activities...
Old May 23, 10, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll recommend Row 2 for everyone.

Search this Thread