Seeking Alaska Mileage Plan course corrections

Old May 15, 10, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Seeking Alaska Mileage Plan course corrections

First of all many thanks for the help I received in my newbie post about 6 months ago. I've been reading here occasionally (although I haven't posted much - some of you are quite intimidating with your depth and breadth of mileage plan knowledge, you know ).

Anyway, this is what I have done so far, and what I hope to do, and would appreciate any feedback as to what I could do better.

Short Haul
I signed up for the credit card and received 25,000 bonus miles to add to the miles I had already accumulated. In addition to the annual companion ticket, I also received 2 complimentary passes to the Board Room which expire early January 2011.

In March, I booked for myself and 2 sisters, a late September 2010 return YVR / SEA / MCO. I did this by getting 1 award ticket, 1 companion ticket and 1 full fare.

A) I am currently fare watching for the full fare to see if it decreases more than $100 - as I can change the fare once - and get a credit for the difference.

B) If we want to use the 2 complimentary boarding room passes - which expire January 2011 - I will have to purchase a day pass ($40) for us to use the Board Room once in either YVR or SEA.

Mid-Range
In either Jan or May 2011 - will very likely be travelling with adult son YYJ / SEA / MCO
C) Although I anticipate having enough points, I plan on buying my ticket and use 2011 companion ticket for son.

D) In September 2011 - will likely be travelling in 5 person group SEA / MCO. Will 'pool' all available points to purchase whatever award tickets I can, then pay for rest - dividing that total equitably among the 5 travelers.

The only thing that I can come up with is that it may be better to have my son sign up for mileage plan and use the companion ticket in September 2011. (I could also probably persuade son to transfer his miles to me as I usually pay for his vacations with me).

Thanks.
Old May 15, 10, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Your plans look good to me. Others around here have FAR more expertise than I, though.

Originally Posted by Mariby View Post
A) I am currently fare watching for the full fare to see if it decreases more than $100 - as I can change the fare once - and get a credit for the difference.
Two thoughts on this:

1) Forward your confirmation emails to [email protected] (you may need to register on Yapta.com first--I can't remember). They will track the fare for you and alert you if it drops. It doesn't handle companion cert bookings properly, but it will work on your regular booking (and you can then assume the companion booking also dropped and handle that one at the same time).

2) Any reason you're waiting specifically for it to drop $100? Alaska offers the GARR program for tickets that drop any amount, and there is no rebooking fee to take advantage of the lower fare. AS simply gives you a voucher for the difference in airfare. Submit your claim here: https://www.alaskaair.com/booking/ss...edAirfare.aspx
Old May 16, 10, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I know it was long, but I kind of felt like I was on the cusp of beginning to understand the mileage plan, and needed some feedback.

I'll read through the info on the 2nd link you provided and try and wrap my head around it. It's important to me, as I will be travelling more in the next few years.

Not to take this too much off topic, but as far as I know, Alaska is the only airline to fly SEA to MCO non-stop. This is especially important from mid-August to end-September when Disney World has their free dining promotion to boost attendance. Makes going to Disney World almost on a par (dollarwise when compared on a day-for-day basis) with Disneyland.

Search this Thread