Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Using Miles, Money, and companion ticket for spring break 2011 travel

Using Miles, Money, and companion ticket for spring break 2011 travel

Old May 4, 10, 10:56 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Programs: AAdvantage - Lifetime Plat, MVP, SPG - gold, Marriot - silver
Posts: 17
Question Using Miles, Money, and companion ticket for spring break 2011 travel

Hi everyone....looks like we can book travel for spring break 2011 (april 2nd- April 9th) in a few days. We'd like to travel 1st class from SEA to OGG. I plan on buying one ticket with $$, getting a second with the companion ticket, and using miles for the third ticket. I can book the miles ticket each way separately, so no problems there.

BUT there's the problem of the companion ticket pair. I can book my initial flight in two days, but the return flight won't be available for another week. Anyone have any suggestions on how to work this, or is my only option waiting until both legs are available?
thezinfan is offline  
Old May 4, 10, 2:42 pm
  #2  
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: deep within the Eskimo lair
Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Posts: 16,834
You can book the OB and then call in and add the return next week, but unless you're a Gold, you'll get hit with a change fee to do so.

Might as well just wait.
missydarlin is offline  
Old May 6, 10, 8:43 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seattle
Programs: AAdvantage - Lifetime Plat, MVP, SPG - gold, Marriot - silver
Posts: 17
Angry Different answers from different agents.

Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
You can book the OB and then call in and add the return next week, but unless you're a Gold, you'll get hit with a change fee to do so.

Might as well just wait.

Here's what drives me crazy about airlines in general.... I called yesterday to confirm that I would be able to do what you described. I was told that I could apply the change to both tickets in a week by adding the return, and since the return inventory wasn't available, i wouldn't even have to pay a change fee.

Then I called back this morning at 6am to pull the trigger, and was told inventory wasn't available yet...but i ran through the scenario again and was told that YES i could do that, but to call back in an hour or so when the flights would be in the system.....so of course I call back and agent #3 basically says..."what are you talking about, you can do that...even if you pay a change fee"....

So i guess its try call #4 and see what answer I get. Of course, now I can't believe what I'll be told, because when I call back next week to add the return, who knows what they'll tell me are the rules.
thezinfan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread