MVPG Change Ticket Fee Waiver

Old Apr 29, 10, 10:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
MVPG Change Ticket Fee Waiver

I'm not currently an MVPG but will be in a few months. If I cancel a flight today, and then use the credit a after I have qualified for MVPG, do I avoid the $75 change fee?

In other words, to get the change fee waived do you need to be MVPG at the time of (a) original ticket purchase, (b) original ticket cancellation, (c) new ticket purchase, or (d) new ticket flight date?

Thanks for the help,
Eric
EricFly is offline  
Old Apr 29, 10, 12:56 pm
  #2  
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: deep within the Eskimo lair
Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Posts: 16,833
Originally Posted by EricFly View Post
I'm not currently an MVPG but will be in a few months. If I cancel a flight today, and then use the credit a after I have qualified for MVPG, do I avoid the $75 change fee?

In other words, to get the change fee waived do you need to be MVPG at the time of (a) original ticket purchase, (b) original ticket cancellation, (c) new ticket purchase, or (d) new ticket flight date?

Thanks for the help,
Eric
b) Its going to charge you the fee to deposit those funds into your my account

or

c) You can choose to leave the ticket value as is... just remember the ticket number ... and then once you're gold, go back and reissue it into a new ticket
missydarlin is offline  
Old Apr 29, 10, 3:28 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: MVP Gold, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 2,401
missy, i noticed that whenever a codeshare is involved in the itinerary, they want me to call in (AA or DL sold on alaskaair.com with AS ticket stock) when i try to "change reservation".

Are these tickets also exempt from change fees for MVPG? Any idea if/when changes could be made online someday..or is there a reason why this wont be possible?
maokh is offline  
Old Apr 29, 10, 5:16 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 17,989
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
c) You can choose to leave the ticket value as is... just remember the ticket number ... and then once you're gold, go back and reissue it into a new ticket
C is the best option. When I did this last year as MVP, i actually had to call to cancel. Definatley keep the ticket number becasue by the time I rebooked the cofirmation number was no longer in the system. I did have to call in to rebook as well because the website tried to charge me fare difference + $75. the rep did not charge the fee.
CDKing is offline  
Old Apr 30, 10, 12:55 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,316
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
C is the best option. When I did this last year as MVP, i actually had to call to cancel. Definatley keep the ticket number becasue by the time I rebooked the cofirmation number was no longer in the system. I did have to call in to rebook as well because the website tried to charge me fare difference + $75. the rep did not charge the fee.
Has this changed due to ewallet?
beckoa is offline  
Old Apr 30, 10, 6:38 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 17,989
When i hit the cancel button i get the following three options

  • Deposit the value of the ticket(s) as credit into My Wallet.
  • Email the ticket value(s) as credit.
  • Email the canceled ticket number(s) and use later to retrieve the value.

The first two options above require up front payment of the $75 fee. The third option requires fee at a later date when you reuse. Once Gold that fee wont be charged. Maybe they fixed the issue that caused me to call
CDKing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread