Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
We ran into this "best practice" on VN of all places... companion had a lap infant, and we were shuffled all around since there were so many lappers on board, and the one-infant-per-row rule in place.

He ended up assigned to the exit row ().
That is a bit
Old May 22, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

That is a bit
No doubt... we asked if that was right, and the agent just shrugged his shoulders and said since the system let him do that, it must be ok.

My friend wasn't thrilled with it, but I pointed out that it probably would be an easy trade on board. Which it was, and no other infant in the row.

I've just learned that there will be many instances of and on VN. And I can usually find comedic value in most of those situations.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:12 pm

any word that now airlines wont give out extenders to airbag seatbelt users?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:28 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Seat Belt Extensions are prohibited:

in Exit Rows
Rows 1 and 6 on Alaska Airlines flights 1-999

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...s-of-size.aspx
Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rich k
any word that now airlines wont give out extenders to airbag seatbelt users?
While seat belt extenders are not permitted it should be noted that the seatbelt is longer if it is airbag equipped. I know this because I don't need an extender in row 1 with the airbag seatbelt but do need one in row 2-4.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:47 am

With a belt extension the airbag would probably be incorrectly positioned for an effective deployment. Also the buckle on an airbag belt has a magnet built into it that closes an enabling switch when coupled, which arms the airbag.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL PM, Starwood gold, Fairmont plat
Seat belt extenders don't work on the air-bag belts because it breaks the electrical connection made when you buckle up.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Resurrecting an old thread. Flew yesterday with a lap infant and upon boarding we were told that someone else wanted our seats in row 3 for their infant with car seat, so we were moved to row 1. I didn't think lap infants were allowed in row 1 because:
1) It's next to an exit, which is specifically prohibited in Alaska's rules
2) They have air belts in the seats, which seem unsafe for the infant

Any thoughts here? I filed an Alaska Listens survey, and the flight attendent gave us 3000 miles.

Surprised that they moved an infant for another infant - rather than swapping someone out in row 2.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
I too was on a flight this summer when a couple boarded with an infant and sat in row 1. No one was moved and the flight commenced with the lap infant in row 1.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Resurrecting an old thread. Flew yesterday with a lap infant and upon boarding we were told that someone else wanted our seats in row 3 for their infant with car seat, so we were moved to row 1. I didn't think lap infants were allowed in row 1 because:
1) It's next to an exit, which is specifically prohibited in Alaska's rules
2) They have air belts in the seats, which seem unsafe for the infant

Any thoughts here? I filed an Alaska Listens survey, and the flight attendent gave us 3000 miles.

Surprised that they moved an infant for another infant - rather than swapping someone out in row 2.
the rules about lap infants being in seats with airbelts have changed - a bit ago actually. The FAA now allows infants to be held in seats where there are lap belts. The only things not permitted in rows with airbelts are cabin baggage (like large instruments for which someone has bought a seat), infants who have a seat but no child restraint system (car seat) and a thing called AmSafe CARES restraint system (basically a harness that slips over the seat for small children. The infant being next to an exit doesn't matter unless they're in an exit row, which isn't allowed - and car seats are not permitted in rows before or after exit rows or aisle seats. That's it.
bmvaughn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.