Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not sure how strict AS is about the bulkhead cause we're mainly UA flyers but we've sat with our young kids (even as infants) in the bulkhead row on their Airbus flights as often as possible because of the infinite amount of room in that row...for your long flight to LIH, I can see why you chose it...I think you'll be ok since you don't have a car seat. As for the FAs moving you because your too close to First Class, that's not gonna happen...we've sat in First on UA and AS with our toddler and infant so if there are kids in First, what would be the point of keeping coach kids away from First? I think you'll end up in the bulkhead and not get moved...have fun in Hawaii!

Good point - our toddlers have flown in F (and not always been the noisiest customers )

The elimination of the bulkhead option is sad, it was nice to have extra space for them to stand not to mention that younger children often like to play with tray tables or kick the seats in front of them. Of course we don't permit that kind of behavour but it is nice not to have to worry about disturbing the seats ahead of you.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Today I was involuntarily reassigned from 2F to 1F by the gate agent prior to boarding. When I asked why my seat was changed she told me that they can't allow lap infants in row 1 anymore due to the airbags. When I pointed out that the plane we were flying, a 700, didn't have airbags she said it was a company-wide policy not to allow lap infants in rows 1 or 6.

Not only did I have to endure the flight without the legroom I paid for, but I had to listen the to the child shrieking right behind be for most of the flight. How about we just make it simpler and ban lap infants from rows 1-6?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by hgdf
Not only did I have to endure the flight without the legroom I paid for, but I had to listen the to the child shrieking right behind be for most of the flight. How about we just make it simpler and ban lap infants from rows 1-6?
I had a shrieking 15 month old next to me yesterday in 4F. I feel your pain.

At least this kid slept for a while but was quite loud the last 45 minutes of the flight.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:03 pm
Suspended

What was the fare differential between 1F and 2F?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
...How about we just make it simpler and ban lap infants from rows 1-6?
You'd have my vote.

We've all read that lap babies are allowed at least partly because flying is safer than driving and if you make people pay extra for a separate seat for the baby they might drive instead --- or something to that effect anyway. That argument might fly in coach (so to speak) but how does someone with the money, status, or miles resources needed to end up in F justify holding their baby on their lap? Is it so important for their own rear ends to be comfy in an F seat that they'll risk injury to their child if the plane encounters turbulence?

Of course the inconvenience of lap babies to other F passengers like hgdf is another consideration.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
You'd have my vote.

We've all read that lap babies are allowed at least partly because flying is safer than driving and if you make people pay extra for a separate seat for the baby they might drive instead --- or something to that effect anyway. That argument might fly in coach (so to speak) but how does someone with the money, status, or miles resources needed to end up in F justify holding their baby on their lap? Is it so important for their own rear ends to be comfy in an F seat that they'll risk injury to their child if the plane encounters turbulence?

Of course the inconvenience of lap babies to other F passengers like hgdf is another consideration.
The age old story of who's entitled to sit where. I was on a flight a few weeks ago with a 2 year old behind me in a car seat in 4a. I couldn't even tell he was there, same goes for 3 months a ago on a flight from Hawaii this time it was a lap baby. When children fly you'll get those that are great, ok, cranky and that's life deal with it.

Whether a child is in a car seat or lap child their parents paid/upgraded to their current seats and they have just as much right as anyone to sit in F. Sometimes children can be better flyers then adults (Like the drunk I flew next to last year that the FA had to cut off, now that was fun).

If AS has a blanket policy maybe that's the problem. Also if AS changed there booking system so that a lap infant would not be allow in 1 or 6 that would be a better solution. I know a few months back the only seats available for us were 1 and we had to be switched at the gate.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by sxf24
What was the fare differential between 1F and 2F?
I often buy the instant-upgrade fare specifically so I can have first crack at my prefered seat. This is one of the reasons I tend to get annoyed when couples try to play the switcheroo with me.

I just think the rule ought to be 1 person to 1 seat, regardless of age. From what I gather, CARES seats are still allowed in airbag equipped seats.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Today I was involuntarily reassigned from 2F to 1F by the gate agent prior to boarding. When I asked why my seat was changed she told me that they can't allow lap infants in row 1 anymore due to the airbags. When I pointed out that the plane we were flying, a 700, didn't have airbags she said it was a company-wide policy not to allow lap infants in rows 1 or 6.

I suggest you try NetJet. They are awesome and the only children allowed are those you personally invite. There's also tremendous legroom and you never have to go through TSA's security theater.

Otherwise, realize you're sharing an airplane with 130+ people, most of whom likely have children. Luckily, very few of the adults I've encountered on airplanes act like children.

Last edited by jackal; Jun 4, 2012 at 8:26 pm Reason: Unnecessary
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jill5172
I suggest you try NetJet. They are awesome and the only children allowed are those you personally invite. There's also tremendous legroom and you never have to go through TSA's security theater.
I used to always charter a GV whenever I wanted to go anywhere, that is until I saw An Inconvenient Truth, and my conscience started getting to me about my carbon footprint. I considered buying carbon offsets to assuage my eco-guilt until I learned that I couldn't claim them as expenses on my tax return.

Otherwise, realize you're sharing an airplane with 130+ people, most of whom likely have children. Luckily, very few of the adults I've encountered on airplanes act like children.
Even as a current non-member of the breeding pool, I recognize that some people will insist on flying with small children, sometimes even in FC. All I ask is that you buy your little darling his own seat, and not try to steal the one that I paid to have all to myself. Thank you!

Last edited by jackal; Jun 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm Reason: Quoted material since deleted
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
This is awesome.. Now i can comfortably sit in bulkhead without worrying about annoying crying baby with parents who lack parenting skills.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Even as a current non-member of the breeding pool, I recognize that some people will insist on flying with small children, sometimes even in FC. All I ask is that you buy your little darling his own seat, and not try to steal the one that I paid to have all to myself. Thank you!
You paid for a seat and received a seat. You certainly don't have to move once onboard, but an airline has every right to reassign your seat before that.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
You paid for a seat and received a seat. You certainly don't have to move once onboard, but an airline has every right to reassign your seat before that.
And we have the right to express dissatisfaction when they do.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jackal
Exactly. ^
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:44 am

You are so right. Pre-assigned seats are for suckers!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackal
There is a difference between expressing dissatisfaction and entitlement. I would hope most posters would be able to post with enough nuance for the reader to understand they're upset for having to move, not because the airline took the seat they bought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.