Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rule Prohibiting Infants in Bulkhead Row/Seat Belt Air Bag Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 4:11 am

NZ has had airbags on the seatbelts in C since the new configuration was introduced some years ago....

Not aware of any accidental (or even "accidental") activations there.... I suspect it musn't be easy at all!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
infant in arms not allowed in Row 1?

not allowed to select Row 1 SEA-DFW because infants "are not allowed in the first row?" I've not run in to this before - why this restriction? It is not an exit row.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Its the new seat belt air bags... dont laugh, its for real. I have an infant as well and avoid row 1 or row 6 now with seat selection because they might boot you to 26E at the gate if that plane has the new airbags... ugghh
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
A thread discussing this new rule was posted a few months ago. I'm going to go ahead and merge this into that thread to keep related discussion together.

Thanks,
jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I booked tickets for chirstmas and needed to add an infant to the itinerary. I had row 1 for our outbound and 6 for the return and was told of the air bags. Even though the ac I'm on now are not the new jets they moved us. I asked why and was told "They made the policy fleet wide because if there is ever an equipment change you could be on one of the new ac and then would have to be moved to who knows where."

IMHO...It's a smart policy.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
At this point, what aircraft have the airbags? 737-400, 737-800, 737-900? Also does this only affect lap children? Or can 3-year olds sit in these rows? Are there airbag seatbelts on Row 6?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Boraxo
At this point, what aircraft have the airbags? 737-400, 737-800, 737-900? Also does this only affect lap children? Or can 3-year olds sit in these rows? Are there airbag seatbelts on Row 6?
I think its only new 73H's.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AS MVP Gold 100K, AS MM, Avis First
Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
Seatbelt extensions are still allowed on these new seats. The airplanes that have the airbag belts have the compatable extensions onboard.
Not all the time...my flight from DCA to LAX 14 Sep had the airbag belts and NO compatible extensions. I was moved from the bulkhead (which I like) to row 3. The FA's did look for the compatible extenders but none were on board.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
The couple in 1AC on my LAS-SEA flight a couple of weeks ago had a lap child. This was on an 800. Maybe there are exceptions? Or maybe I don't understand the rule.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
How many aircraft are these installed on? I was in row 6 on 3 flights this last week and didn't have them on any of them.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Bay Area Blue
For as long as I have been in the industry, the rule has been no more than 1 infant in a set of seats due to the amount of emergency oxygen masks in the PSU. There is 1 extra mask in each PSU.
Do you mean it's never allowed, or are you just talking about lap children? What happens if one adult is traveling with twin infants?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & A few others
Originally Posted by Ruthalaska
Do you mean it's never allowed, or are you just talking about lap children? What happens if one adult is traveling with twin infants?
The Adult must purchase 1 seat for 1 infant; only 1 infant lap child per adult per row.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by sigueugis
Infants also cannot be within 1-2 rows of the exit row - not sure why - but I have seen families moved.
This is only if they have a seat restraint, ie carseat.

Where to Sit with a Child Restraint

When you're using a child restraint, do not select seats in the following areas:

* Emergency exit rows
* Any seat one row forward or one row back from an emergency exit row
* Aisle seats
* Bulkhead seats when the car seat is a combination car seat and stroller

Last edited by lebowski76; Sep 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm Reason: found rule
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, SPG Plat, UA Premier
Does anyone know whether use of the CARES restraint system (http://www.kidsflysafe.com/) precludes sitting in the bulkhead? This is basically an additional strap that fits over the seat and allows a smaller person to be belted in securely.

Here's the situation, I'm taking my 3 year old son on a SEA-LIH trip later this year and I've booked us in row 6. I'd prefer to sit in row six as I'm tall, it's easier to get him out of the seat, and no one can recline in front of us.

But, I've gotten four different answers from the Gold desk when I've checked on concerns related to bulkhead seating, they are:
  • No, you can't sit their due to the seat belt air bags,
  • Yes you can sit there as you are not using a car/stroller seat (I'm using the CARES system mentioned above)
  • The FA's might try to move you just because of proximity to the first class cabin (e.g. noisy kids not good - which I can completely understand).
  • Yes you can sit there, you are Gold and your child is not an infant.

Appreciative for feedback on which might be correct.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Not sure how strict AS is about the bulkhead cause we're mainly UA flyers but we've sat with our young kids (even as infants) in the bulkhead row on their Airbus flights as often as possible because of the infinite amount of room in that row...for your long flight to LIH, I can see why you chose it...I think you'll be ok since you don't have a car seat. As for the FAs moving you because your too close to First Class, that's not gonna happen...we've sat in First on UA and AS with our toddler and infant so if there are kids in First, what would be the point of keeping coach kids away from First? I think you'll end up in the bulkhead and not get moved...have fun in Hawaii!

Originally Posted by leewjo
Does anyone know whether use of the CARES restraint system (http://www.kidsflysafe.com/) precludes sitting in the bulkhead? This is basically an additional strap that fits over the seat and allows a smaller person to be belted in securely.

Here's the situation, I'm taking my 3 year old son on a SEA-LIH trip later this year and I've booked us in row 6. I'd prefer to sit in row six as I'm tall, it's easier to get him out of the seat, and no one can recline in front of us.

But, I've gotten four different answers from the Gold desk when I've checked on concerns related to bulkhead seating, they are:
  • No, you can't sit their due to the seat belt air bags,
  • Yes you can sit there as you are not using a car/stroller seat (I'm using the CARES system mentioned above)
  • The FA's might try to move you just because of proximity to the first class cabin (e.g. noisy kids not good - which I can completely understand).
  • Yes you can sit there, you are Gold and your child is not an infant.

Appreciative for feedback on which might be correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.