DL Cancel PDX-HNL - opportunity?

Old Apr 12, 10, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

DL Cancel PDX-HNL - opportunity?

DELTA cancels Portland OR – Honolulu from Sep 10

DELTA from 31AUG10 cancels Portland OR – Honolulu service, which currently operates Daily. The changes in the GDS has been updated earlier today (Saturday).
http://airlineroute.net/2010/04/10/dl-pdxhnl-cxl/
I wonder if AS will step in with increased frequencies?
Old Apr 13, 10, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wow... wonder why?

If AS loads are doing well on SEA-HNL (2x daily) guess this would make sense...

Would compliment SEA & ANC service, but it seems AS has concentrated on the 'other islands'...

Competition would still exist with HA on this route (767)
Old Apr 13, 10, 12:15 am

Delta also cancelling their (yet to start) SAN-HNL flights effective Aug 1.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4768244/
Old Apr 13, 10, 12:39 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
The question is whether DL is pulling out because the route isn't viable at all or whether it's not viable for them. DL has a decent presence at PDX but I wonder how many PDX-based travelers think of them to fly to Hawaii compared with AS.

I know that on my upcoming flight from SEA to HNL that tickets for the remaining inventory are much more expensive on AS/HA compared with DL.
Old Apr 13, 10, 2:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Old Apr 13, 10, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looks like a resounding YES!

Got this in my inbox just now:

Alaska Airlines Announces Nonstop Portland-Honolulu Service

4/13/2010 10:12:04 AM

SEATTLE Alaska Airlines today announced it will add a second nonstop flight between Portland, Ore., and Hawaii, with year-round, daily service to Honolulu beginning Sept. 20, 2010. The airline already flies between Portland and Kahului, Maui.

"We're excited to provide our Portland customers with additional nonstop service to the Hawaiian Islands," said Joe Sprague, Alaska's vice president of marketing. "With its beautiful beaches, historic sites and endless sunshine, Honolulu is a great complement to our existing Portland-Maui nonstop service. Including these new flights, Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air will serve the Portland market with 90 daily departures more than twice that of any other airline."

Summary of new service:

Start Date

City Pair
Departure Time Arrival Time Day of week
Sep 20 Portland-Honolulu 7:25 a.m. 10:25 a.m. Daily
Sep 20 Honolulu-Portland 11:25 a.m. 8:10 p.m. Daily
Times are based on local time zones.

Flights will be available for booking on April 15, 2010, at alaskaair.com or by calling 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522 or TTY/TDD line 1-800-392-0228). They are timed for convenient connections to and from Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air points in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington.

The new flights are operated with fuel-efficient Boeing 737-800 aircraft, accommodating 16 passengers in first class and 141 in the main cabin. Special Hawaiian-themed service includes Mauna Loa macadamia nuts and a complimentary Mai Tai or POG juice, as well as Hawaiian-themed meal-for-purchase options for $6. Inflight service includes Alaska Airlines' digEplayer, a personal entertainment system offering a variety of movies, television shows, music and other features.

Alaska Airlines Vacations offers a full line of vacation packages for travel to the islands of Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island of Hawaii. Packages include air transportation, hotel accommodations, ground transportation and tours. For more information about Alaska Airlines Vacations, visit alaskaair.com/vacations.

Together, Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air currently offer more nonstop flights (serving 27 different destinations), more daily flights (89) and more California service (39 flights daily to 13 California destinations) from Portland International Airport than any other carrier.

Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, subsidiaries of Alaska Air Group (NYSE: ALK), together serve more than 90 cities through an expansive network in Alaska, the Lower 48, Hawaii, Canada and Mexico. Alaska Airlines ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Traditional Network Carriers" in the J.D. Power and Associates 2008 and 2009 North America Airline Satisfaction StudiesSM. For reservations, visit alaskaair.com. For more news and information, visit the Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air Newsroom at alaskaair.com/newsroom.
This story is also posted online at http://www.alaskaair.com/newsroom/ . To unsubscribe to these news alerts, click here or visit http://www.alaskasworld.com/newsroom...nsubscribe.asp

Have questions?
If you need assistance, please call or e-mail:

Alaska Airlines 206-392-5134 - or - Horizon Air 206-392-0296
[email protected] [email protected]
Old Apr 13, 10, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by FOH View Post
The question is whether DL is pulling out because the route isn't viable at all or whether it's not viable for them. DL has a decent presence at PDX but I wonder how many PDX-based travelers think of them to fly to Hawaii compared with AS.
DL's flying 752s. AS is flying 738's. Oil's at $90/bbl. The math isn't hard to figure out here.
Old Apr 13, 10, 4:14 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
a 757-200 is a lot of capacity for that route..
Old Apr 13, 10, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by maokh View Post
a 757-200 is a lot of capacity for that route..
With all due respect, we're only talking about approx. 30 seats here. It's not like the difference between a 738 and a 763.

It's just DL giving up the old NW routes. SEA/PDX-HNL went WAY back with NW. I remember DC-10s and 747's back in the early 70's (sometimes twice daily which was huge in those days).

(Think about a smart 5 year-old who loved going to the airport and collecting airline timetables...wish I had kept some of those early ones.)
Old Apr 17, 10, 12:19 am

Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
DL's flying 752s. AS is flying 738's. Oil's at $90/bbl. The math isn't hard to figure out here.

I thought the CASM is lower for 752 than a 738 when flying the same route, since the 752 has at least 30 more seats than a 738.......

And I bet the ticket prices will go up after DL pulled out of the PDX-HNL market......

Last edited by BW Flyer; Apr 17, 10 at 12:31 am Reason: Add more comments
Old Apr 17, 10, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by BW Flyer View Post
I thought the CASM is lower for 752 than a 738 when flying the same route, since the 752 has at least 30 more seats than a 738.......

And I bet the ticket prices will go up after DL pulled out of the PDX-HNL market......
How much gas does a 752 use vs. a 73H? (I personally don't know, but suspect the 73H uses less on a CPM basis)
Old Apr 17, 10, 10:29 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Oh here we go again.

I think this has a lot more to do with PDX-HNL not being a terribly high yielding route for DL, and they believe those planes can make more money flying elsewhere, perhaps internationally.

AS wanted to dip their toes into the HI market, and the 738-ETOPS gave them a way to do that without having to take the plunge into a new aircraft type. Sure, they occasionally have to leave a few bags behind, or take a fuel stop in OAK; but if hadn't worked out, they could have easily redeployed those birds elsewhere in the system.

DL serves lot more O/D traffic from far flung locales and the 757/767 is probably the best tool for the job of flying to HI for most large hub/spoke carriers. Besides the now defunct TZ and AQ, this is what every other major airline does.

Suffice it to say, given AS's position in the market the 738 is the right plane for the job, but not necessarily for any other carrier.
Old Apr 17, 10, 6:11 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
With all due respect, we're only talking about approx. 30 seats here. It's not like the difference between a 738 and a 763.
Thats a 20-25% increase per flight, in a market that probably can't even fill a 737-800.
Old Apr 17, 10, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by maokh View Post
Thats a 20-25% increase per flight, in a market that probably can't even fill a 737-800.
Doesn't HA run a 767 on this route?
Old Apr 18, 10, 12:18 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
All HA routes aside from inter-island are operated using 767-300s. I agree that it's likely that DL thought that other uses of the aircraft would yield better financial results.

I flew to HNL earlier this week on DL out of SEA and U inventory was still available a few days prior to the flight (which translated to a one-way fare of $200). Admittedly it's an anecdote but yields are not very high to Hawaii right now. There were also several empty storefronts on Waikiki that were occupied a year ago so the recession is clearly taking its toll on Hawaii travel.

Search this Thread