AS MVP flying DL ticket but AS metal

Old Apr 7, 10, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Question AS MVP flying DL ticket but AS metal

Okay, that was a long-winded title.

So I'm flying AS in and out of LAX on Friday for biz, and I'm on a DL ticket - but both flights are AS metal. It took my MP number just fine and let me put myself up front / exit row after I logged in post-booking, but it doesn't appear that I have the option to try and put myself on the FC waiting list, at least not yet. Is this something it makes more sense to do once I get to the airport on Friday, or will I see it when I'm checking in tomorrow online? It's a DL confirmation, of course, so I'll be doing so on their site.

Sorry if this is elsewhere on the forum, wasn't seeing this. Was hoping to continue my solid string of upgrades, as I'm 10/17 so far this year (incl SJC-AUS and AUS-SEA over the last two days).

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 10, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
You cant add yourself to the upgrade list on codeshare. You can ask nicely at the airport on day of departure. I know how it feels. i'm looking at my second Y seat this year for tomorrow
Old Apr 7, 10, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Grrr. Thanks, CDKing.

Didn't think so, but I figured I would ask. How unfortunate! Will probably just ask nicely at the gate... 6am flights tend to be ... interesting.
Old Apr 7, 10, 8:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
On a trip to IST last month, I was able to add the DL itinerary to "my trips" on alaskaair.com and manipulate my seating there. I had to call the MVP desk to get manually added to the upgrade list for the AS legs. "my trips" then showed the full itinerary and that i was on the upgrade list for AS segments. The day of flight, however, a GA in SEA told me I was apparently not on the upgrade list. She worked it out though and got me upgraded.

So, in my recent experience, you can get added to the upgrade list when on a DL ticket, manipulate seats through alaskaair.com, but even if you do, it may not ultimately work... only asking the gate agent did...
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:29 am
Original Poster

I got my upgrade...

Originally Posted by evoG View Post
So, in my recent experience, you can get added to the upgrade list when on a DL ticket, manipulate seats through alaskaair.com, but even if you do, it may not ultimately work... only asking the gate agent did...
Funny you say that. This morning, I went to check in, and went to DL's site like I normally would, since the confirmation # they gave me was theirs. I could tweak my seating, but could *not* check in on their site. There was even a "can't check in?" link that I clicked, which said I wouldn't be if it were a flight operated by another airline.

So, since I knew my conf wouldn't work, I just went to check in on the AS site, and lo and behold, there we go. There was an AS-specific conf code that came up, and I was able to immediately put myself in FC and check in, and here's my boarding pass.

The streak continues! That'll be 11/18 segments this year, and three in a row this week, hah. It's been rare I've snagged one out of SEA given the number of Golds, et al, so I'll take it - especially since it's 6:00am.
Old Apr 8, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yes, during the OLCI, you can request the upgrade (or be confirmed if there is a seat availabile) if you are ticketed on a codeshare (AA, DL, etc.). What AS can't do is process your upgrade BEFORE the OLCI window (24 hours), if you are booked on a codeshare. So, if booked on a codeshare, make sure to check in right at the 24 hour window to maximize your upgrade chances.

Search this Thread