AA -> AS on 2 diff tickets

Old Mar 27, 10, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
AA -> AS on 2 diff tickets

Hello all -

Did a quick search on this, but found nothing. Wife, daughter and I will be flying SFO-LAX on AA and then on a separate ticket LAX-ZIH on AS. We plan on checking bags (baby food, baby sunscreen, etc). I am Plat on AA.

- Will AA check my bags all the way to ZIH even though we have 2 diff tickets?
- Will I get charged for checking bags? I don't pay when I check on AA given that I am elite, but wonder if I'll have to pay for the AS segment (or something)?
- Anything else I need to be considering besides the pain of having to switch terminals at LAX?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 27, 10, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AS BR, DL, HH Gold
I've done this a number of times. You should be able to check your bags all the way through and not have to pay since you are starting on AA. You just have to make sure to tell the AA agent this and provide some sort of documentation of your AS itinerary. Also, double check the tags to make sure everything is right as the agent will manually change the routing.

You will have to pay on the way back. There really is no use in having it checked all the way through on the way back as you will have to retrieve it to clear customs anyway.

Search this Thread