Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS's failed drink experiment: Cosmopolitan & Glacerita

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS's failed drink experiment: Cosmopolitan & Glacerita

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I thought the Glacerita was somewhat vomitorious (but not entirely, i.e., not causing an immediate and unpleasant response) in a jetfuelia manner. In fact, I thought the thing was flavored with Essence of Jetfuelia, which was the predominant flavor.
It really looks cool in a dark cabin on top of the digeplayer or below a personal reading light

I personally have not had Jet-A so cannot attest nor refute that
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
It really looks cool in a dark cabin on top of the digeplayer or below a personal reading light
They do have a particular aesthetic, but since the tray tables and center consoles aren't large enough, I can't order an extra drink just so I can look at it
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:41 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Was on my first flight with these offerings...finally. LAX - PVR.

The Glacierita is pretty decent - typical of a too sweet margarita type drink...no complaints.

I thought the cosmo was kind of terrible. Maybe I should try it with Gin instead of Vodka.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I consider any margarita mixed with a non-100% agave tequila (like Jose Cuervo Gold) to be suspect.

First, Cuervo Gold is not good tequila. It is actually a really terrible product, quality wise, backed by some brilliant market. Sadly, most of the tequila consumed in the United States is Cuervo Gold or something equally as bad. And by “bad”, I mean bad taste and vicious hangover.

Good tequila is almost always a tequila that is made from alcohol distilled from 100% blue agave. Specifically, the species Agave Weber Tequilana. This plant of the class Liliopsida (Lilies) has nothing to do with cactus. Blue agave is grown primarily in the Mexican state of Jalisco.

More specifically, Cuervo gold is a Tequila Mixto, Joven Abocado or, more precisely, young and adulterated tequila.

By Mexican law, adulterated tequilas are at least 51% blue agave. The other 49% is generally comprised of the absolute cheapest, nastiest, sugar cane based liquor. If you are familiar with big city corner bodegas, the cheap rum in the plastic bottle on the bottom shelf behind the counter. “Bum rum” we called it in NYC.

Adulterated tequila would not have any color. To give it color and take a bit of edge off, Cuervo (and others) add caramel. This ultra-nasty combination of cheap cane sugar alcohol and low quality agave distillate is the reason for the vicious hangover. Those massive nasty sugar molecules break down into all sorts of evils that take your body a long time to metabolize. Hence, a Cuervo/adulterated tequila hangover is a trip through hell.
This is in line with my experiences. Tequila used to make me ill- until I started drinking better tequila. Now I'll actually mix homemade margaritas (lots of lime juice, no salt, on the rocks, plz).

So maybe Cuervo's mixing with Jet-A these days?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Are they still carrying these? I thought of ordering one yesterday, but the magazine didn't mention them as an option (anymore)?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Are they still carrying these? I thought of ordering one yesterday, but the magazine didn't mention them as an option (anymore)?
Had 5 or so ANC-DEN on the 5th... And a couple on the return...

So hope so as they are pretty good...
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Unhappy No More Glacerita

After my meal service, I was itching to try out the Glacerita, so I asked the FA for one. She replied, "I think we might have some", but a few minutes later she informed me that they do not have Glacerita anymore and served me POG juice with vodka instead.

The POG juice is quite good, but a little disappointed that the glacerita is no longer served on-board
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
The POG juice is quite good
No accounting for taste!

Too bad that the selections are going byebye and not being replaced by anything new. I have a lot of AS flying in November. Buuuuuuuuuuu
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Given that the tequila's still horrible on AS, I fail to see the downside of eliminating the margarita mixer.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm hooked on Cosmo's after my last AS flight. The FA even sent me home with some mix and vodka for my 75K qualifying flight. In fact i'm drinking one right now. Unfortunately its not as good as the ones on AS with the stirrings mix.

I didn't think the glacerita was that good anyways

Originally Posted by BECKOA
Well if you were to fly AS to Hawaii you'd get to try the Mai Tai mix they have... in Y or F for free (1st one)... in F they add a garnish of pineapple & maraschino cherry too ^D
Those were really good as well. They were pre-mixed Trader Vicks from what a remember. Unfortunately the FA couldn't find the garnish (takes up 1/4 the glass) on the way back from HNL . It was an experienced HI F FA so it was defiantly a catering issue

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 22, 2010 at 5:38 pm
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Those were really good as well. They were pre-mixed Trader Vicks from what a remember. Unfortunately the FA couldn't find the garnish (takes up 1/4 the glass) on the way back from HNL . It was an experienced HI F FA so it was defiantly a catering issue
Mai Tais aren't catered HI -> Mainland. So, if you had mix, it was a "bonus" but it wouldn't be catered w/fruit, etc. This came from "the horse's mouth," so to speak, even though I hate to call our reliable FTer FA a horse
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Mai Tais aren't catered HI -> Mainland. So, if you had mix, it was a "bonus" but it wouldn't be catered w/fruit, etc. This came from "the horse's mouth," so to speak, even though I hate to call our reliable FTer FA a horse
Neeeiiiiiggghhhhhh. Is that an appropriate whinney sound for a horse?

Just thought I would also mention, to those that care, the Glacierita AND the Cosmopolitan are both gone. Sales were absolutely abysmal for both.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer

Just thought I would also mention, to those that care, the Glacierita AND the Cosmopolitan are both gone. Sales were absolutely abysmal for both.
Well, back to champagne (sparking California variety) when flying in F
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS Flyer

:'(

Sad to see them gone- I really enjoyed the Glacierita... And no JLAV either

Can we please bring back Redbull
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
October is Hawaiian month

Outbound to STL they announced that this month mainland flights will be catered with (some) Hawaiian offerings -- I enjoyed two Longboards (First Class FA had to get them from the back). No announcement at all on the return, but I didn't ask as I was on a whiskey roll instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.