Intra-europe miles

Old Mar 22, 10, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Question Intra-europe miles

My wife and I will be staying in Europe for a few months and plan regular weekend trips. Does anyone with experience within Europe have any thoughts on whether to try earning AS miles on these, join another program for the duration, or just go for cheap fares and ignore the miles?
Old Mar 23, 10, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
A lot will depend on where you're going to be, and what the alternatives are. You're going to be limited to BA, AF, and KL, but the latter two will provide EQM opportunities.

If I were in your shoes, I'd weigh the difference in the fare. If something in only going to net me 500 miles one way, but the price differential is huge, I'd opt for the LCCs over there and forego the miles.
Old Mar 23, 10, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by 98103 View Post
A lot will depend on where you're going to be, and what the alternatives are. You're going to be limited to BA, AF, and KL, but the latter two will provide EQM opportunities.

If I were in your shoes, I'd weigh the difference in the fare. If something in only going to net me 500 miles one way, but the price differential is huge, I'd opt for the LCCs over there and forego the miles.
And on KL (and probably AF) beware of the lower fare brackets... ie V class does not earn miles - same with several other ticket brackets). From what I hear though- avoid Ryanair... Other LCC's might be ok...
Old Mar 23, 10, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I wouldn't go out of my way to fly AF/KL/BA. The LCCs and trains are just less expensive, and so many of the cheap fares won't earn you AS EQM anyway (nothing on BA, only some fares on AF/KL), plus Flying Blue (AF/KL's program) is reputedly quite horrible. In addition,you'd be forced through AMS, LHR or CDG on a lot of flights...

If you MUST do earn AS EQM and you're flying AF/KL/DL over the pond, SkyTeam has this...

SkyTeam Europe pass (please note: must be used in conjunction with SkyTeam international travel)

It would appear that KL Q and AF W (the classes this books in on those airlines) do earn EQM. I still don't think it's a very good deal (quoted prices don't include tax,so you are looking at $80 and up one-way fares for one-way trips), and you'd have to put any non-KL/AF airlines on another plan... but if you must, you might try this.
Old Mar 23, 10, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I wouldn't go out of my way to fly AF/KL/BA. The LCCs and trains are just less expensive, and so many of the cheap fares won't earn you AS EQM anyway (nothing on BA, only some fares on AF/KL), plus Flying Blue (AF/KL's program) is reputedly quite horrible. In addition,you'd be forced through AMS, LHR or CDG on a lot of flights...

If you MUST do earn AS EQM and you're flying AF/KL/DL over the pond, SkyTeam has this...

SkyTeam Europe pass (please note: must be used in conjunction with SkyTeam international travel)

It would appear that KL Q and AF W (the classes this books in on those airlines) do earn EQM. I still don't think it's a very good deal (quoted prices don't include tax,so you are looking at $80 and up one-way fares for one-way trips), and you'd have to put any non-KL/AF airlines on another plan... but if you must, you might try this.
Wow... that looks like a decent deal... (scared @ taxes myself ) but it looks like it needs to be booked at the same time as booking the skyteam TATL fare... and it excludes those originating in Hawaii & Alaska? Oh, and a minimum of 3 OW's too it seems...

Search this Thread