Upgrading travel companion

Old Mar 22, 10, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Upgrading travel companion

I'm an MVP (not gold) and am curious if there is a way to pay for an upgrade for my traveling partner at the 48 hour mark if I get a free upgrade or will I have just have to hope they have paid upgrades available at the 24 hour mark.

Basically there is no way I'm going to get to fly in 1st class with my wife back in coach. I apogize if this question have already been asked, I searched the forum but couldnt find anything.
Old Mar 22, 10, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I'm an MVP (not gold) and am curious if there is a way to pay for an upgrade for my traveling partner at the 48 hour mark if I get a free upgrade or will I have just have to hope they have paid upgrades available at the 24 hour mark.
Nope. You'll just have to hope F is still available at T-24.
Old Mar 22, 10, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by sanjeetd View Post
Basically there is no way I'm going to get to fly in 1st class with my wife back in coach.
Correct. You can't even add yourself to the upgrade list when traveling with a non-status companion. Both of you will end up in Y (Coach). Sometimes on day of departure they will make an exception if there are seats in F and upgrade either one or both of you.
Old Mar 22, 10, 6:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Correct. You can't even add yourself to the upgrade list when traveling with a non-status companion. Both of you will end up in Y (Coach). Sometimes on day of departure they will make an exception if there are seats in F and upgrade either one or both of you.
The only times I've had luck getting me and my non-MVP partner upgraded for free has been on holidays (both Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve) - one time it happened automatically before I got to the airport (that was a nice surprise!) and the other time they called me up to the counter without me having to ask. Every other time I've asked at the gate, they've been unwilling to waive the fee for my partner.
Old Mar 23, 10, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the information. I dont mind paying for my traveling partners upgrade, just wish I could do it when I get upgraded at the 48 hour mark. Seems like they should you let you considering all the MVP's and MVP Gold's should be upgraded by that point.
Old Mar 23, 10, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sanjeetd View Post
thanks for the information. I dont mind paying for my traveling partners upgrade, just wish I could do it when I get upgraded at the 48 hour mark. Seems like they should you let you considering all the MVP's and MVP Gold's should be upgraded by that point.
Due to irrops, flight changes, and just the last minute walk-up, there are MVP/G's who don't even get a flight until a couple hours before the flight... including F pax. That, and not all seats are released at T-48 hours. Two ideas to maximize F chances- either have yourself run a couple of MR's to MVPG, or have the other pax travel more to hit MVP. @ MVPG you would be eligible for both your upgrades and a companion at 72 hours... probably the best bet.
Old Mar 24, 10, 12:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, PC Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Due to irrops, flight changes, and just the last minute walk-up, there are MVP/G's who don't even get a flight until a couple hours before the flight... including F pax. That, and not all seats are released at T-48 hours. Two ideas to maximize F chances- either have yourself run a couple of MR's to MVPG, or have the other pax travel more to hit MVP. @ MVPG you would be eligible for both your upgrades and a companion at 72 hours... probably the best bet.
I wouldn't bother trying to both be MVPs. That causes far more problems than it solves, in my experience throughout 2009. You will have to call in on each and every reservation to be added to the waitlist (online link doesn't work for 2 MVPs on a single PNR). Then you will have to babysit the process starting at 48 hours. We were regularly removed from the waitlist, denied the upgrade, or (this one is my favorite) told we weren't actually MVPs. It actually got to the point that travelling in coach for 2 hours was less stressful than travelling in F. Usually, we just waited for OLCI and then jumped the line in front of some unsuspecting Golds.

The OP would be better off trying to MR to Gold himself.
Old Mar 24, 10, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Seat 7D View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to both be MVPs. That causes far more problems than it solves, in my experience throughout 2009. You will have to call in on each and every reservation to be added to the waitlist (online link doesn't work for 2 MVPs on a single PNR). Then you will have to babysit the process starting at 48 hours. We were regularly removed from the waitlist, denied the upgrade, or (this one is my favorite) told we weren't actually MVPs. It actually got to the point that travelling in coach for 2 hours was less stressful than travelling in F. Usually, we just waited for OLCI and then jumped the line in front of some unsuspecting Golds.

The OP would be better off trying to MR to Gold himself.
Wow... that sounds like an unfortunate process
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I wouldn't bother trying to both be MVPs. That causes far more problems than it solves, in my experience throughout 2009.
That kind of minimizes the "nominate someone to be MVP" benefit for 75K, doesn't it?
Old Mar 24, 10, 3:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
That kind of minimizes the "nominate someone to be MVP" benefit for 75K, doesn't it?
Not really. The original dig was directed at 2 MVP's travelling on the same PNR - because they both have to be upgraded separately, which is not easy to request online. If you make MVPG75K, you can already upgrade your compantion (regardless of status) without trouble, and the real benefit of the gifted MVP is for when the giftee travels alone.
Old Mar 24, 10, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I always wondered is the change fee per person? If so wouldn't be easier to book two different PRN's for the MVP's. Then each person can add themselves to the upgrade list seperately?

When it comes to MVPG75K gifting to MVP, wouldn't it be a non-issue if a MVPG and MVP are traveling together? Unless the MVP/MVP on same itin issue carrys over to MVPG/MVP
Old Mar 24, 10, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, PC Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
You don't have to gift it to somebody that you like.
Old Mar 25, 10, 11:25 am

Programs: AA (PLT/3MM/Admirals Club), AS (MVPG), UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors, Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I always wondered is the change fee per person? If so wouldn't be easier to book two different PRN's for the MVP's. Then each person can add themselves to the upgrade list seperately?

When it comes to MVPG75K gifting to MVP, wouldn't it be a non-issue if a MVPG and MVP are traveling together? Unless the MVP/MVP on same itin issue carrys over to MVPG/MVP
Separate res solves some of the upgrade problems in that you can each waitlist yourself, but introduces a couple of new problems: 1) one pax might be upgraded and the other not. That's fine for us but not for some couples. 2) if there are irrops, you might be reschedule on completely different itineraries if there is only one seat on one of the options. I believe you can have PNRs linked, but you have to call in and it is easy to forget to do so.

Search this Thread