Just made MVP GOLD!!! Need Info/Advice

Old Mar 12, 10, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Talking Just made MVP GOLD!!! Need Info/Advice

So I officially switched my service and bought $32,339.22 woth of non-refundable tickets for myself and my company for the year, it took Alaska a 3 hour phone call after purching 32k in tickets to get a Status match from
UA 1K as well as DL Platinum. How does it compare? Im flying mostly on Alaska Metal Transcon but some not all of my flights are. What can I expect, please help!
Old Mar 12, 10, 2:23 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
you could have saved yourself 3 hours and $32K and just faxed over your 1K credentials. They usually match off of that.
Old Mar 12, 10, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Alaska F is probably comparable to most legacy non-transcon (read: not AA American Flagship Service, UA p.s., DL Business Elite, VX F)- but you almost never see this service out of SEA anyway, so in essence, it's fairly competitive. Big ol' reclining thrones with ~38 inches pitch, small snacks on West Coast/mid-con flights, full meal service on transcons, plus the usual assortment of liquid recreation.

Do not expect preflight drinks. Do not expect inflight WiFi before 2011. Do not expect inflight power anytime. There isn't Channel 9 or DirectTV- the IFE comes from portable devices called digEplayers. If you can reconcile yourself to this, you'll enjoy the friendly attitude of the personnel and your flights on new-ish 737s (with the occasional free wine or microbrew on Horizon). I kind of look at AS as a cross between some of the better features of LCCs like WN (better treatment of pax in Y, more reasonable about garbage fees, sensible ticketing policies) and legacies (actual F, elite status, miles that can get you off the North American continent).
Old Mar 12, 10, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Exclamation In reply to:

I was going to purchase the tickets anyways, we just had to pick our 2010 Carrier.

Can someone give me a basic walk-thru of being a MVP-Gold gets you? How do the upgrades work? Is the AS Boardroom Free? Do companions get same benefits? Can I check 3 bags, etc?

Thanks you guys rock!

BTW Does AS still serve redbull as well as Dr. Pepper?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Alaska F is probably comparable to most legacy non-transcon (read: not AA American Flagship Service, UA p.s., DL Business Elite, VX F)- but you almost never see this service out of SEA anyway, so in essence, it's fairly competitive. Big ol' reclining thrones with ~38 inches pitch, small snacks on West Coast/mid-con flights, full meal service on transcons, plus the usual assortment of liquid recreation.

Do not expect preflight drinks. Do not expect inflight WiFi before 2011. Do not expect inflight power anytime. There isn't Channel 9 or DirectTV- the IFE comes from portable devices called digEplayers. If you can reconcile yourself to this, you'll enjoy the friendly attitude of the personnel and your flights on new-ish 737s (with the occasional free wine or microbrew on Horizon). I kind of look at AS as a cross between some of the better features of LCCs like WN (better treatment of pax in Y, more reasonable about garbage fees, sensible ticketing policies) and legacies (actual F, elite status, miles that can get you off the North American continent).
Old Mar 12, 10, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Missydarlin,

Thanks for the advice, we just opened up a plant in ANK so that means about 2-4 ppl a week from LAX flying up their and the other airlines schedule is terrible! So to be fair to my employees I decided to let them have the airline they wanted so they said AS so hopefully it will make them pleased when I come in tomorrow and tell them no more UA!
Old Mar 12, 10, 8:07 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by jpmmracing View Post
I'll take a stab at answering some of your questions. Welcome to the party, BTW!

Can someone give me a basic walk-thru of being a MVP-Gold gets you? Here's the web page that will give you the basic info.

How do the upgrades work?
That's a broad question and you'd probably get a different answer from everyone who frequents this board. It depends on your origin and destination, day of the week, etc., etc. Probably a lot of similarities to other frequent flyer plans. LAX to SEA is a pretty good bet for an upgrade. As an MVPG you get first dibs on upgrade-eligible seating 72 hours out (until the MVPG 75K's start showing up, then you'll take a back seat to them). It might be helpful to do a search and see what others have to say. This is a helpful thread, for starters.

Is the AS Boardroom Free? No, read all about it here.

Do companions get same benefits? If you have a companion flying with you on the same PNR, they can get upgraded along with you. If your companion is flying on a different record, you can call the Gold desk and have the upgrade benefit bestowed upon them. That's the only benefit I know of. If you join the Board Room you can guest up to 2 friends or family members - read the details on the previously-referenced web page. If you sign up for the Alaska Airlines Platinum Visa card you will get a companion coupon - you buy a ticket and your companion can go on the trip with you for $99 plus tax. A good deal for that transcon F or trip to Mexico or Hawaii.

Can I check 3 bags, etc?
Traveling within the state of Alaska, yes. That is a benefit that all enjoy traveling intrastate. Otherwise, as a Gold (or an MVP) you can check two bags for free. Here is the lowdown on checked baggage.

Thanks you guys rock!

BTW Does AS still serve redbull as well as Dr. Pepper? I don't think so on the Red Bull.
Old Mar 12, 10, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP-Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Red Bull is out - I was on a flight a month or so ago where they had two cans left over and they guy getting pickled next to me on vodka redbulls through a fit when he found out they weren't coming back.
Old Mar 12, 10, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Board Room (only, no partner lounges) access is free travelling in paid F (not upgraded), or on an F award ticket.
Old Mar 12, 10, 12:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Remember that upgrades are not automatic, you need to go into your online record and click on the upgrade link to get in the upgrade queue. As an MVP Gold you also get 4 upgrade coupons/year that you can use to upgrade any purchased AS flight at any time, as long as U space is available.
Old Mar 12, 10, 8:41 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
by ANK Im assume thats Anchorage other words AS gold is worthless fly to Turkey .

Also theres a site http://www.alaskaair.com/mileageplan/ that can answer most basic questions about benefits. Im all for assisting others with my tips and what Ive learned but there comes a point where it reaches laziness. The AS site has a lot of good information on it and Id reccomend reading there before posting here otherwise you aren't going to get many responses other than people posting links for you to an AS page
Old Mar 12, 10, 8:43 pm

You made MVP Gold? Or you matched (comped) gold?
Old Mar 14, 10, 8:29 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by jpmmracing View Post
So I officially switched my service and bought $32,339.22 woth of non-refundable tickets for myself and my company for the year
Hmm I wish I could plan it all a year ahead. Im lucky if I have 3 or 4 weeks to plan a trip unless its for a vacation. Although Im not sure Id want to buy $32,000 for the year ahead. Way too many variables to go wrong. Cant say that Ive ever heard of a company buying the businesses nonrefundable tickets for the whole year...in the middle of March

Search this Thread