Quality of drinks and snacks going downhill?

Old Mar 8, 10, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post

Not sure how a deep fryer would work in-flight
I'm sure Ron Popeil has something that could work.
Old Mar 10, 10, 10:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
It's clear you just want to complain, and that's fine - we all need to do that sometime.

As far as the burger goes, potato chips appeal to masses as a side. Every summer millions of people eat burgers and chips at picnics all over the country. I have to believe that many folks enjoy the combination. Short of selling fries with the burgers, I'm not sure what else you would suggest.
It's pretty clear you want to thread crap. Why don't you try doing that somewhere else. I have no desire to be on here complaining. I'd rather AS just have better options.

Just wanted to point out that there are actually FIVE picnic packs available of different varieties. Some are $3.50 and some are $6.00. The Tapas Picnic Pack sells quite well. Whether you like the olives in it or not - others seem to enjoy them.
Really? There are FIVE? That's odd, perhaps you can write AS can tell them that their website is wrong.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...ice-coach.aspx

It's odd that there are FIVE when the website lists two. Of course, the site is probably wrong and you are probably correct. The alternative is that you don't really know what you're talking about.

In terms of your comment about how it sells, I'll stand by my previous comments. In terms of people enjoying the olives, you're assuming (once again) that people actually eat the olives.

As far as the burger goes, potato chips appeal to masses as a side. Every summer millions of people eat burgers and chips at picnics all over the country. I have to believe that many folks enjoy the combination. Short of selling fries with the burgers, I'm not sure what else you would suggest.
People commonly eat burgers and chips. I've been to many a bbq/picnic and rather rarely see plain old unflavored potato chips anywhere. That aside, AS is selling a meal and does have an onus to try to put some nutrition in it. Potato chips don't cut it from either a flavor perspective or a nutrition perspective.

thegeneral - Why do you even bother flying Alaska if you so obviously don't like them as a business or their product??? All you do on here is complain...every post is about a problem. What do you expect from an airline? You always look at the glass half-empty (at least in your posts) and it really brings down the "half-full" tone that our AS forum has.
My choices for who I fly are not your concern. All I do here is complain? I've made several posts that give praise to AS. The search button is there for a reason, so perhaps you should figure out how to use it. It would save you from making statements that are straight up incorrect. What do I expect? For a company that has service offerings that are good and unique to not screw them up.

In terms of getting comped the burger, I had an FA up front tell me that they now are charging for it if you have it to go along with the meal. I was happy to pay. The cheeseburger is good. I had them throw out the generic chips that came with it.

I was merely mentioning that your logic has not been consistent because you only had bad things to say about Tim's chips despite them being a local brand. Perhaps you should not assume things and go reread my post.
Getting rid of Tim's chips doesn't mean that it couldn't be replaced with another product. Eastern Washington can grow pretty much anything except for tropical fruit. Just because a bad offering is local doesn't mean it should get a pass. There are better local offerings that it can be replaced with.
Old Mar 10, 10, 11:05 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wouldn't Know...

As I only sit in F on mainline flights, I have no experiance with the snacks in steerage.
Old Mar 10, 10, 11:11 am

I Like It!

Originally Posted by United757 View Post
Beckoa...I'm so good...I always get both! No seriously, I get both. I always politely ask, "When coach service is done, would it be possible if I could get one of the left-over burgers if there are any?"

WORKS EVERY TIME! Eating airplane angus beef FTW!
What a great idea! Never thought of that one. Can't say that I fly SEA>ORD on anything but UA. Most of my AS travel is West Coast up & down. And on those flights the meals kinda suck )-:

I have taken a few transcons & that was a MUCH better dining experiance. I'd probably fly AS on more long haul flights, but I find the F seats have almost ZERO padding in the back area making them kinda uncomfortable on really long flights like MCO>SEA*

*Did this last year. 6 hours 45 minutes flying time. Oh dear!
Old Mar 10, 10, 12:54 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
It's pretty clear you want to thread crap. Why don't you try doing that somewhere else. I have no desire to be on here complaining. I'd rather AS just have better options.
I think it's pretty clear to everyone on who wants to thread crap. If you are really upset at the options, you can always bring your own food on board ala Southwest. Be thankful that Alaska offers food for purchase on board should you decide that you're hungry.

It's odd that there are FIVE when the website lists two. Of course, the site is probably wrong and you are probably correct. The alternative is that you don't really know what you're talking about.
I would suspect AS Flyer knows more about what Alaska offers than you do.

In terms of your comment about how it sells, I'll stand by my previous comments. In terms of people enjoying the olives, you're assuming (once again) that people actually eat the olives.
I would suspect that AS Flyer knows if people are eating the olives based on what trash is left over when the flight attendants go through the cabin with the trash bags.

People commonly eat burgers and chips. I've been to many a bbq/picnic and rather rarely see plain old unflavored potato chips anywhere. That aside, AS is selling a meal and does have an onus to try to put some nutrition in it. Potato chips don't cut it from either a flavor perspective or a nutrition perspective.
Most people prefer Coke or Pepsi over Jones soda (hint two of those companies are profitable while one is not) and I would suspect that with the ever increasing weight of Americans that most people prefer potato chips over something nutritious. BTW, I always see plan old potato chips at bbqs/picnics/Superbowl parties.

Getting rid of Tim's chips doesn't mean that it couldn't be replaced with another product. Just because a bad offering is local doesn't mean it should get a pass. There are better local offerings that it can be replaced with.
Going back to the local thing...You chastise Alaska for getting rid of a local product (Jones Soda) and then you expect them to ditch another local product (Tim's Chips) because you don't like them? What about all the other people that fly Alaska? What about their opinions? Just because you like or dislike something doesn't mean everyone else is going to feel the way you do.
Old Mar 10, 10, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
Food is an amenity and its silly to say that AS has the onus to try to put nutrition (or flavor) in the meals it sells. AS is (and should be) only motivated to have meals that its customers want to purchase.
Old Mar 10, 10, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
As I only sit in F on mainline flights, I have no experiance with the snacks in steerage.
Far be it from me to sully your F cabin with the presence of Y food, your Lordship , but you can buy the Y food if the AS F repast of caviar and chateaubriand doesn't quite hit the spot. In fact, every so often I've been comped some Y food sitting in F (not something I expect, but something that is nice when it happens).

In terms of people enjoying the olives, you're assuming (once again) that people actually eat the olives.
I enjoyed them in the Picnic Pack. I'm also fine with potato chips and burgers (in fact, I often cook a homemade burger with potato chips as a meal). I guess I cancel out your vote, huh?
Old Mar 10, 10, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
(in fact, I often cook a homemade burger with potato chips as a meal).
On the side, or as a topping/condiment?
Old Mar 10, 10, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere View Post

Most people prefer Coke or Pepsi over Jones soda (hint two of those companies are profitable while one is not) and I would suspect that with the ever increasing weight of Americans that most people prefer potato chips over something nutritious. BTW, I always see plan old potato chips at bbqs/picnics/Superbowl parties.
Actually, two of those companies are profitable, one of them just agreed to a sharply discounted takeover. I wonder if that might not have impacted the decision to return to Coke.
Old Mar 10, 10, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
On the side, or as a topping/condiment?
Served the same way* AS does.

*though I don't put mine into a warming oven and wait until we're airborne to sell them as I walk down the aisles, since apparently I wasn't literal enough the first time I said this
Old Mar 11, 10, 11:48 pm

Wink Ohhhh....

Far be it from me to sully your F cabin with the presence of Y food, your Lordship ,
Dear EP,

Please don't hate me cause I only sit in F on mainline flights (-;

Just remember that I have to fly QX (D-400) at least 2x a week during the summer in order to get to LAX. And believe me when I say I have done my fair share sitting in steerage! And occasionally I even have to fly on a CRJ200 (aka The Devils Chariot)...
Old Mar 12, 10, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please don't hate me cause I only sit in F on mainline flights (-;
Hardly. I've been there before, as a few of the threads in this forum will attest.

Let's just say that I buy LOTS of G and T fares, and I doubt I'll be getting "tapped on the shoulder" by any AS executives as a big spender. I'm fine with that- for someone who has to stretch and scheme to get to 40K-50K of EQM (last year it was jumping on a SEA-DTW-FRA-MSP-SEA trip in DL Y, but a fun jaunt to Germany), AS is arguably the nicest FF program to do that on (and gives you a very solid return), and I am happy with more than occasional F, nice treatment in Y when it doesn't happen, and things like free standby, minimal fees and snack boxes that others turn their noses up at. I don't begrudge anyone their champagne wishes and caviar dreams if they fly 6 digits a year...
Old Mar 12, 10, 8:32 am

Unhappy

I don't begrudge anyone their champagne wishes and caviar dreams if they fly 6 digits a year...
At times I WISH I had to struggle to make MVPG or even 1K! Alas, I am track to grind out another 180 EQS or somewhere around 190,000 EQM (BIS). And that's ALL domestic BTW. This translates to flying about 48 weeks a year. At times I wonder what it would be like not to fly???

The funny thing is that I could end up starting to travel internationally as well (FRA & TLV) later this year. This is a prospect I DO NOT relish. Only good news is that it will be exclusively in C "crossing the pond" & F in Europe...

But still this means even "less of a life" to quote my ex-wife (-;

Search this Thread