Quality of drinks and snacks going downhill?

Old Mar 8, 10, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
mmm.... msg
Old Mar 8, 10, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
I'm fully aware of what Tim's is, thank you. You shouldn't assume things. Did you know that Tim's uses MSG in some of its chips?

Yup, you probably thought that no mainstream consumer product used this anymore.
You clearly have a bone to pick so I'm going to leave it after this. I wasn't assuming things. You were irate about Jones Soda being removed and one of your sticking points was that AS switched from supporting local businesses to a global corporate entity. I said nothing related to the healthiness of either one. I was merely mentioning that your logic has not been consistent because you only had bad things to say about Tim's chips despite them being a local brand. Perhaps you should not assume things and go reread my post.
Old Mar 8, 10, 11:20 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm fully aware of what Tim's is, thank you. You shouldn't assume things. Did you know that Tim's uses MSG in some of its chips?

http://www.goodguide.com/products/22...o-potato-chips

Yup, you probably thought that no mainstream consumer product used this anymore.
No wonder why those jalepeno chips taste so good. MSG is good. I'd put it on my cereal in the morning if I could find enough of it.
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
on my last few BOS-PDX and SEA they have actually had 4 different snack packs for sale in addition to the burger
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:48 pm

As do Doritos, Pringles, Lay's, and Poore Brothers to name just a few. At least Tim's is applying their MSG in the NW.
Old Mar 8, 10, 4:26 pm

thegeneral - Why do you even bother flying Alaska if you so obviously don't like them as a business or their product??? All you do on here is complain...every post is about a problem. What do you expect from an airline? You always look at the glass half-empty (at least in your posts) and it really brings down the "half-full" tone that our AS forum has.
Old Mar 8, 10, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by United757 View Post
Dude, you have no clue how sick I am of the beef turd...with mystery sauce. hehh
I just wish they would NOT put condiments on the burgers or sandwiches.
Me personally, I HATE mustard, mayo well pretty much all condiments, and have an allergy to mustard seed (I know weird, I can't have barbeque sauce either because of the mustard seed in it)

But there are many people who just don't like condiments. I wish they would just put them on the side.
Old Mar 8, 10, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS Gold, DL, WN
Getting healthy and fresh food (such as fresh fruit and vegetables) costs money, which most people do not want to pay. Having said that, I flew HNL- SEA yesterday in Y and really loved the deli pack. IMO, compared to other airlines, AS is way in front in terms of food quality and options. I just wish they would offer the Angus burger on more flights since it is indeed a popular sell. BTW- Glad Coke is back!
Old Mar 8, 10, 6:02 pm

Smile Oh, but you CAN find that much MSG...

Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
No wonder why those jalepeno chips taste so good. MSG is good. I'd put it on my cereal in the morning if I could find enough of it.
When I was on Kauai a few years back, I remember being absolutely amazed when in a grocery store that I could just buy a big bag 'o' MSG, and that there were like half a dozen of them on a shelf, along with a few things that would make Marcel from "Top Chef" proud.
Old Mar 8, 10, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Emeraldcity View Post
I just wish they would NOT put condiments on the burgers or sandwiches.
Me personally, I HATE mustard, mayo well pretty much all condiments, and have an allergy to mustard seed (I know weird, I can't have barbeque sauce either because of the mustard seed in it)

But there are many people who just don't like condiments. I wish they would just put them on the side.
I'm soooooo totally the opposite - Mr. Slather (although I loathe relish/pickles, including tartar sauce).

Next time I'm (unfortunate enough to be) in coach, I must try this highly-touted burger for myself.
Old Mar 8, 10, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I'm soooooo totally the opposite - Mr. Slather (although I loathe relish/pickles, including tartar sauce).

Next time I'm (unfortunate enough to be) in coach, I must try this highly-touted burger for myself.
Just ask for one up front after Y service is finished. They have always comped me one!
Old Mar 8, 10, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by tombiro View Post
When I was on Kauai a few years back, I remember being absolutely amazed when in a grocery store that I could just buy a big bag 'o' MSG, and that there were like half a dozen of them on a shelf, along with a few things that would make Marcel from "Top Chef" proud.
I'll look for a couple bag next time I'm in the islands! Though I think the TSA would freak out seeing two big bags of a white crystalline substance in my suitcase.

I haven't had the burger yet, but they look similar to the ones you can get at Costco. $12 for 8 of them. Only difference is your living room/dining room isn't moving at 500 mph. And if it is, you've got quite the problem.
Old Mar 8, 10, 6:30 pm

There are two packs. Saying it is the second best seller really isn't saying much. You could also phrase it as being the worst selling pack that AS sells. Again, there are two. The olive pack is the defacto standard for vegetarians. How much it sells really doesn't matter much.

The new boxes are not good. A huge bag of chips with a small container of salsa is a bad pair. For the packs, you've taken what was one good pack, split it up and filled it with garbage. I really hate seeing things go downhill like that.

Whatever happened to the hummus pack? Was it too good? I was served it up front the other week. It would be a good replacement for, ugh, olives.

Is there someone at AS who manages all this? I imagine they have a chef somewhere. I'm guessing the person responsible for this has changed or did AS just outsource this?

Have a look in the store the next time you see people buying chips. Plain old nothing flavored chips don't exactly fly off the shelves. That combined with an excessive sodium level for people flying in a tin can with 10% humidity makes them a bad idea. Aside from making people want to chug 3 small bottles of water, it makes the meal a non-option for many who are sensitive to sodium. That of course ignores that carcinogens are created when you cook carbohyrates in fat at high temperatures. Mmm, nothing like some acrylamide with your burger.

There are better sides for an actual meal than plain old potato chips. It's unimaginative, unhealthy and AS could do much better. The burger is awesome. The things that come with it should be as well.

It's clear you just want to complain, and that's fine - we all need to do that sometime.

Just wanted to point out that there are actually FIVE picnic packs available of different varieties. Some are $3.50 and some are $6.00. The Tapas Picnic Pack sells quite well. Whether you like the olives in it or not - others seem to enjoy them.

As far as the burger goes, potato chips appeal to masses as a side. Every summer millions of people eat burgers and chips at picnics all over the country. I have to believe that many folks enjoy the combination. Short of selling fries with the burgers, I'm not sure what else you would suggest.
Old Mar 8, 10, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by United757 View Post
Just ask for one up front after Y service is finished. They have always comped me one!
In addition to the F food, or in place of it?
Old Mar 8, 10, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
In addition to the F food, or in place of it?
In addition...
Northern Bites meals can be brought up front once the initial Y service has been completed, and there is remaining product left.

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
As far as the burger goes, potato chips appeal to masses as a side. Every summer millions of people eat burgers and chips at picnics all over the country. I have to believe that many folks enjoy the combination. Short of selling fries with the burgers, I'm not sure what else you would suggest.

Not sure how a deep fryer would work in-flight

Search this Thread