Quality of drinks and snacks going downhill?

Old Feb 28, 10, 4:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
100+ views and nobody else has an opinion?
I'll bite:
Jones Soda: I suspect HFCS will go the way of certain Red food colorings and trans fats. Jones Soda was a far tastier option to the mainstream Coke.

Picnic Packs: I purchased one over a year ago. After receiving a ludicrously small package, I felt that it was more valuable as a souvenir and conversation piece.

I believe Alaska Air would have better luck selling MREs on flights.
Old Feb 28, 10, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I had the Tapas Picnic Pack comped to me in F yesterday (the tortellini salad just wasn't going to cut it, and they waved off my credit card). It wasn't bad- olives, Rondele, crackers, apricots, Almond Roca.
Old Mar 1, 10, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh, and don't touch my Angus Cheeseburger- just wish we could pre-order those online, even if in F! (yes, I'll pay $6 for a burger with my meal )
100% with you there. That burger is really good. They originally served it with dijonaise IIRC, but then changed to more pedestrian offerings. I wish they'd ditch the plan old potato chips. Do I really need something that plain and salty? Putting the carrots with it would be great.

Picnic Packs: I purchased one over a year ago. After receiving a ludicrously small package, I felt that it was more valuable as a souvenir and conversation piece.
The old picnic packs were good. I've eaten one on a flight home and played a full soccer game on it. Two different kinds of cracker, cheese, meat, almond butter and the chocolate bar. They had apricots in it at one time too.

I definitely think they've hired someone else to plan these out. It's like going back to your favorite restaurant to see a new, lesser spin put on things by the new chef.

I don't pay for these and can expense these and generally do, but now it's, meh. Why bother. I'll just spend money before I get on the plane. I'd like to give the business to AS, but they're just not as good. I can't say I recall seeing olives as a common snack for people. I'm not sure why they feel the need to add an oily, salty snack to these.

I really wish they'd ask for some feedback from the people who actually eat these.
Old Mar 1, 10, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by PetePDX View Post
I'll bite:

I believe Alaska Air would have better luck selling MREs on flights.
Wow, no comments from the peanut gallery on the "I'll bite" portion here?

I will say, food's definitely better than what I've had on any number of other airlines. CO's meh at best, and UA isn't exactly riveting. Except for the times I've been in F, I don't think I've touched the food at all this year, interestingly enough, and am absolutely noticing more and more fellow passengers going the BYO route. Even if that means stocking up on fruit and crackers from the BR.
Old Mar 1, 10, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by tombiro View Post
Wow, no comments from the peanut gallery on the "I'll bite" portion here?

I will say, food's definitely better than what I've had on any number of other airlines. CO's meh at best, and UA isn't exactly riveting. Except for the times I've been in F, I don't think I've touched the food at all this year, interestingly enough, and am absolutely noticing more and more fellow passengers going the BYO route. Even if that means stocking up on fruit and crackers from the BR.
I haven't flown them in over a year, but I was very impressed by the quality of BOB food I got on DL on a transcon in 2008. Fresh, large salad and reasonably priced. What I've seen on AS lately doesn't come close.
Old Mar 1, 10, 7:11 pm

100% with you there. That burger is really good. They originally served it with dijonaise IIRC, but then changed to more pedestrian offerings. I wish they'd ditch the plan old potato chips. Do I really need something that plain and salty? Putting the carrots with it would be great.
Never had dijonaise with the burgers. Flight Attendants used to get Ziploc bag with packs of catsup, relish, mustard and mayo. They would ask the person purchasing the burger which condiments they wanted. It's much more convenient now that it's pre-packaged with a napkin and a knife.

The chips that we've been serving are Tim's Hawaiian chips or Tim's bbq chips. Tims is a northwest brand. While a few people may prefer carrots with ranch to go with their burger, I imagine the majority prefer chips with a cheeseburger.

The old picnic packs were good. I've eaten one on a flight home and played a full soccer game on it. Two different kinds of cracker, cheese, meat, almond butter and the chocolate bar. They had apricots in it at one time too.

I definitely think they've hired someone else to plan these out. It's like going back to your favorite restaurant to see a new, lesser spin put on things by the new chef.

I don't pay for these and can expense these and generally do, but now it's, meh. Why bother. I'll just spend money before I get on the plane. I'd like to give the business to AS, but they're just not as good. I can't say I recall seeing olives as a common snack for people. I'm not sure why they feel the need to add an oily, salty snack to these.

I really wish they'd ask for some feedback from the people who actually eat these.

The tapas pack with the olives is a big seller. It's a very close second to the deli pack. They actually did ask for feedback from the people eat the snacks. There were six different snack boxes offered, in addition to the deli packs, on test flights for several months. Each passenger on board the test flights was given a survey to fill out asking what they liked and why. The snacks we see now are those that were the biggest sellers.

You're right in that the vendor for the snack boxes has changed. A company from Chicago called Go Picnic was the original supplier of the deli packs. I believe that LSG Skychefs may be responsible for the boxes we see now.
Old Mar 1, 10, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by czpdx View Post
I haven't flown them in over a year, but I was very impressed by the quality of BOB food I got on DL on a transcon in 2008. Fresh, large salad and reasonably priced. What I've seen on AS lately doesn't come close.
Alaska has been testing several new options on LAX flights over the last couple of months. Among the items being tested were a breakfast box with yogurt, a muffin and a bag of sliced apples. Also a yogurt parfait, oatmeal and a cheese/cracker plate rounded out the morning offerings. Afternoon and evening test items included a northwest salad with salmon, a hot dinner with pasta, salad, roll and dessert and a fresh sandwich/salad combo. Not sure when you can expect to see new items on more flights but these items are being tested and some of them are doing quite well.
Old Mar 2, 10, 1:09 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; UA Mileage Plus; Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
Alaska has been testing several new options on LAX flights over the last couple of months. Among the items being tested were a breakfast box with yogurt, a muffin and a bag of sliced apples. Also a yogurt parfait, oatmeal and a cheese/cracker plate rounded out the morning offerings. Afternoon and evening test items included a northwest salad with salmon, a hot dinner with pasta, salad, roll and dessert and a fresh sandwich/salad combo. Not sure when you can expect to see new items on more flights but these items are being tested and some of them are doing quite well.
I tried a egg bagel sandwich that was offered on the 6am from SEA to LAX on December 27th. It seemed like it had been in the warmer for a day or two. I ate half of it and ditched the rest. The bagel was maple syrup flavor and was kind of sticky and unappetizing. Growing up outside of NYC, I am a bagel traditionalist. I would definitely try other options. The afternoon and evening selections sound quite tasty! The hot dinner sounds like a full meal offering. I would definitely be willing to spend $10-15 on a nicely prepared full meal on a flight.
Old Mar 2, 10, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
The chips that we've been serving are Tim's Hawaiian chips or Tim's bbq chips. Tims is a northwest brand. While a few people may prefer carrots with ranch to go with their burger, I imagine the majority prefer chips with a cheeseburger.
Yeah I'm surprised thegeneral would bash the chips seeing that they are a local company. After all, that was part of the big rip on getting rid of Jones.
Old Mar 2, 10, 5:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ACVFlyer View Post
I tried a egg bagel sandwich that was offered on the 6am from SEA to LAX on December 27th. It seemed like it had been in the warmer for a day or two. I ate half of it and ditched the rest. The bagel was maple syrup flavor and was kind of sticky and unappetizing. Growing up outside of NYC, I am a bagel traditionalist. I would definitely try other options..
A true bagel traditionalist wouldn't even TRY an airplane bagel!

Maple syrup flavored??? Really?!? Yuck!

Really, I don't understand why airlines try to get complicated with their offerings. Years ago, AA offered a hot plain bagel and a banana on the shorter am flights. Frankly, add yogurt to the mix and I would gladly pay $6 for it. It's really hard to mess it up.

I vote for simple, decent quality food for sale.
Old Mar 2, 10, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa View Post
A true bagel traditionalist wouldn't even TRY an airplane bagel!

Maple syrup flavored??? Really?!? Yuck!

Really, I don't understand why airlines try to get complicated with their offerings. Years ago, AA offered a hot plain bagel and a banana on the shorter am flights. Frankly, add yogurt to the mix and I would gladly pay $6 for it. It's really hard to mess it up.

I vote for simple, decent quality food for sale.

Alaska was offering a breakfast box as part of the tests they were doing for new food offerings. The box included yogurt, apple slices and a muffin - for $3.50. It was well recived.

Beginning sometime in March (the exact date escapes me), Alaska will be offering bagel hot dogs and kettle corn on the SEA-PHX flights. It's part of a "Mariners Express" promotion. There will also be a combo offered, to include the kettle corn, bagel dog and a beer for $10. Hope people enjoy.
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The tapas pack with the olives is a big seller. It's a very close second to the deli pack. They actually did ask for feedback from the people eat the snacks. There were six different snack boxes offered, in addition to the deli packs, on test flights for several months. Each passenger on board the test flights was given a survey to fill out asking what they liked and why. The snacks we see now are those that were the biggest sellers.

You're right in that the vendor for the snack boxes has changed. A company from Chicago called Go Picnic was the original supplier of the deli packs. I believe that LSG Skychefs may be responsible for the boxes we see now.
There are two packs. Saying it is the second best seller really isn't saying much. You could also phrase it as being the worst selling pack that AS sells. Again, there are two. The olive pack is the defacto standard for vegetarians. How much it sells really doesn't matter much.

The new boxes are not good. A huge bag of chips with a small container of salsa is a bad pair. For the packs, you've taken what was one good pack, split it up and filled it with garbage. I really hate seeing things go downhill like that.

Whatever happened to the hummus pack? Was it too good? I was served it up front the other week. It would be a good replacement for, ugh, olives.

Is there someone at AS who manages all this? I imagine they have a chef somewhere. I'm guessing the person responsible for this has changed or did AS just outsource this?

Yeah I'm surprised thegeneral would bash the chips seeing that they are a local company. After all, that was part of the big rip on getting rid of Jones.
I'm fully aware of what Tim's is, thank you. You shouldn't assume things. Did you know that Tim's uses MSG in some of its chips?

http://www.goodguide.com/products/22...o-potato-chips

Yup, you probably thought that no mainstream consumer product used this anymore.

Have a look in the store the next time you see people buying chips. Plain old nothing flavored chips don't exactly fly off the shelves. That combined with an excessive sodium level for people flying in a tin can with 10% humidity makes them a bad idea. Aside from making people want to chug 3 small bottles of water, it makes the meal a non-option for many who are sensitive to sodium. That of course ignores that carcinogens are created when you cook carbohyrates in fat at high temperatures. Mmm, nothing like some acrylamide with your burger.

There are better sides for an actual meal than plain old potato chips. It's unimaginative, unhealthy and AS could do much better. The burger is awesome. The things that come with it should be as well.
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Is there someone at AS who manages all this? I imagine they have a chef somewhere. I'm guessing the person responsible for this has changed or did AS just outsource this?

You got this one
right!
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:20 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

There are better sides for an actual meal than plain old potato chips. It's unimaginative, unhealthy and AS could do much better. The burger is awesome. The things that come with it should be as well.
and the burger is healthy?
Old Mar 8, 10, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
and the burger is healthy?
Grass-fed organic beef from Marin County, California, with pastured egg mayonnaise, on an organic sprouted wheat bun. Silly you. The salt is fleur de sel. A deal for $6.

Search this Thread