Liquor on QX

Old Feb 23, 10, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Liquor on QX

From the Insider Newsletter:

Starting March 1, Horizon Air will offer a limited selection of liquor for purchase on its longer flights. Choices will include Bacardi Rum, Bailey's Irish Cream, Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey, and Finlandia Vodka, offered at $6 each to all passengers. Horizon's signature Northwest wine and microbrew will continue to be offered to all passengers at no additional charge.

No mention of a freebie for Golds, but they do reiterate that beer and wine continue to be free to all pax.

Liquor will help to dull the pain on the longer flights.
Old Feb 23, 10, 10:01 am

Programs: MVPG, Hilton Diamond
I, for one, would like to see the 'First one on us' extended to QX. I used to fly AS more than QX until the last year or so as mainline segments have been going to QX.

Two of the things I really enjoy about MVPG status is the comp upgrades to FC (obviously not an option for QX) and the free drinks. They're not likely to add FC to the Q400 cabin any time soon, so this would be a good incremental step with low additional overhead and allow the FA's to recognize the MVPG's.
Old Feb 23, 10, 11:49 am

I don't believe the "first one on us" program will be extended to Horizon. They serve free beer and wine to the entire cabin and that's probably the only free alcohol anyone will be able to have. It's my understanding that, even in irregular situations, their FA's are not able to comp any of the buy on board products, liquor included. This liquor program must stand or fall on it's own and I don't anticipate they would ever sell enough to make up for the difference in what they would end up giving away. Most people aren't going to be inclined to pay $6 for a vodka when they can have a free glass of a premium beer or wine. That's just my thought though.
Old Feb 23, 10, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
I don't believe the "first one on us" program will be extended to Horizon. They serve free beer and wine to the entire cabin and that's probably the only free alcohol anyone will be able to have. It's my understanding that, even in irregular situations, their FA's are not able to comp any of the buy on board products, liquor included. This liquor program must stand or fall on it's own and I don't anticipate they would ever sell enough to make up for the difference in what they would end up giving away. Most people aren't going to be inclined to pay $6 for a vodka when they can have a free glass of a premium beer or wine. That's just my thought though.
I'd imagine on the longer flights, they might sell a couple... wish they used northwest liquors though...
Old Feb 23, 10, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AS BR, DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
I'd imagine on the longer flights, they might sell a couple... wish they used northwest liquors though...
such as?
Old Feb 23, 10, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime SkyClub
Thanks for asking.....

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/

Distilled in Spokane, using locally grown grains. Quite tasty, actually.

Vodka, Gin and now Whiskey.
Old Feb 23, 10, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SEA-ORDFF View Post
such as?
Snohomash - A sippin' bourbon made just off the I-5. After a couple'o'minis, your head will feel like like a blizzard.

Rumnatchee - Like apple juice and rum, all in a little bottle. And only $6. Such a deal. 2 of these over the Cascades, and you'll wish the Q400 had another lav, or at least larger "little special bags."
Old Feb 23, 10, 11:40 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation A Quick Answer...

I know JUST the person to ask (and will have a definitive answer shortly)!
Old Feb 24, 10, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Bend Distillery

http://www.bendistillery.com/home.html

They had it in the BR in August...
Old Feb 24, 10, 2:36 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Silver; Choice Diamond; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match);
Don't forget missydarlin's favorite...

http://clearcreekdistillery.com/
Old Feb 24, 10, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Ah....nothing better than Baileys in your morning Joe.
Old Feb 24, 10, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Ah....nothing better than Baileys in your morning Joe.
How about FREE Bailey's in your morning Joe, instead of paying $6 for the privilege?
Old Feb 24, 10, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
How about FREE Bailey's in your morning Joe, instead of paying $6 for the privilege?
I wouldn't get too stoked about that just yet.
Old Feb 24, 10, 11:10 am

Hi All, no, 'First one on us' will not apply on Horizon Air flights since we already provide complimentary wine and microbrew.
Old Feb 24, 10, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I wouldn't get too stoked about that just yet.
I wasn't planning on it w/r/t QX- I don't fly a lot of QX, though, but I fly a fair chunk of AS Y. Irish coffee included.

Search this Thread