Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No MVPG upgrade waitlist allowed for DL codeshare flights operated by AS

No MVPG upgrade waitlist allowed for DL codeshare flights operated by AS

Old Feb 18, 10, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Cool No MVPG upgrade waitlist allowed for DL codeshare flights operated by AS

I had a $600 credit on Northwest Airlines. Need to go to Los Angeles next week. Realized I could exchange that ticket for the $488 fare offered by DL for PDX>LAX. The flights are numbered as DL flights, but operated by AS.

I was able to get the AS record locator and add the flights to my trips page. However, when I wanted to waitlist for FC as a gold, I'm not allowed. Called the MVPG desk and they told me it could only be granted at the airport if space is available.

I thought I was so cool using this almost expired NWA credit... at least I'll get a free drink in coach. (unless MVPG gold recognition doesn't work on Delta tickets either).

Old Feb 18, 10, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Bring your gold card along in case the manifest doesn't reflect your status, and you should be fine.
Old Feb 18, 10, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Bring your gold card along in case the manifest doesn't reflect your status, and you should be fine.
'doh

This makes sense... had a NW coded AS operated ANC-SEA in January and had to flash my MVPG card to get my free beverage... now I understand why (I think )
Old Feb 18, 10, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Actually, I do this trick fairly frequently, but since the AS MVPG number is in my record, I've always gotten the free drink (if being excluded from non-gate upgrades).
Old Feb 18, 10, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Think is, I was able to do this back in September. Alaska was showing a fare of approx $400 r/t between PDX>DEN. Found the same flights on Delta.com for $200 less.

I bought that ticket. Was able to add the AS PNR to my itineraries. Waitlist myself for first and was upgraded on both segments.

Looks like they've SHUT this down...
Old Feb 18, 10, 9:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by 1Ksuperstar View Post
Looks like they've SHUT this down...
When the flight is ticketed as a codeshare on AS metal, with another carrier's flight #, we are not supposed to be able to waitlist... However, others have reported success with this. I have not. YMMV- but I think it depends on the agent (and most know what is permissible).
Old Feb 18, 10, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
When the flight is ticketed as a codeshare on AS metal, with another carrier's flight #, we are not supposed to be able to waitlist... However, others have reported success with this. I have not. YMMV- but I think it depends on the agent (and most know what is permissible).
So this is something that's possible, just not suppose to be able to? I always thought it was some sort of IT think where I was hoping one day they would fix it.
Old Feb 19, 10, 10:22 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
In the past, I have definitely had the upgrade to first class link show up on AS operated partner coded and ticketed flights by obtaining AS conf code and accessing the reservation online. Not sure if it is an occasional glitch, or if it is just certain carriers. Hopefully the mythical reciprocal upgrades with DL will also address this issue of codeshares. My travel patterns have required more and more DL ticketing lately - often with significant portions operated on AS metal. Oh...I have another idea...why couldn't AS get a few more codeshares on DL so that I could book these tickets on AS.com?? AS can't even ticket the onward travel as DL flights, which sort of blows my mind - I could have had the whole itin ticketed at AA.com, and none of the flights are operated by AA.
Old Feb 19, 10, 12:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
In the past, I have definitely had the upgrade to first class link show up on AS operated partner coded and ticketed flights by obtaining AS conf code and accessing the reservation online. Not sure if it is an occasional glitch, or if it is just certain carriers. Hopefully the mythical reciprocal upgrades with DL will also address this issue of codeshares. My travel patterns have required more and more DL ticketing lately - often with significant portions operated on AS metal. Oh...I have another idea...why couldn't AS get a few more codeshares on DL so that I could book these tickets on AS.com?? AS can't even ticket the onward travel as DL flights, which sort of blows my mind - I could have had the whole itin ticketed at AA.com, and none of the flights are operated by AA.
So, I've got a AS Codeshare on a Delta itinerary coming up. I can access the itinerary on My Trips and also on Delta.com. Originally I had the MP number coming through on Delta.com but not my status. So I switched for my Delta number and then tried to change back to my MP number to see if status was recognized. Now I can't put my Alaska number back in, but is still shows associated in My Trips.
Old Feb 19, 10, 2:48 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP
Last summer I was flying on an AS-operated flight, with an NWA ticket and flight number, and I was able to upgrade myself when I did online checkin on the AS website using my AS PNR. I just clicked the "upgrade to first class" link that appeared and picked a seat. This may have changed since then, but I would check in promptly at 24 hours out and try to upgrade yourself at that point, rather than waiting until you get to the airport.
Old Feb 21, 10, 12:20 am
HCA

How about MVPG upgrade certificate for DL codeshare flights operated by AS?
I was told by CSR no (not even waitlist on day of travel)?

Thank you for anwser.
Old Feb 21, 10, 12:26 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HCA View Post
How about MVPG upgrade certificate for DL codeshare flights operated by AS?
I was told by CSR no (not even waitlist on day of travel)?

Thank you for anwser.
Same answer... not eligible

Search this Thread