Wiki Posts
Search

Day of Departure Upgrade Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
Day of Departure Upgrade Purchase

As a soon-to-be-ex-DL-medallion, awaiting my MVP credentials, I have some questions now that I'm shifting to AS...

Upgrades appear to be offered at check-in if they're not available through the automated upgrade process.

For Hawaii flights, PDX-OGG in particular, do they sell upgrades at check-in, and is it in the $150 range given the stage length?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: lots of little things
HI flights are treated no differently than any other, so they will be offered when you check in online if you are eligible, and U class opens. $100 for 1251-2500 mile flights. $150 for 2501+ mile flight length.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Everything you ever wanted to know about upgrades on alaskaair.com:
http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileagep...s-Upgrades.asp

OLCI and day-of-departure upgrades at checkin require tickets booked in Y, S, B, M, H class only (Full Flex or Value categories, aka "the expensive tickets").

If there is still F space available when the gate takes control of the flight (T-60 minutes), they may elect to hawk upgrades to any confirmed passenger at the same prices listed above.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baliktad
OLCI and day-of-departure upgrades at checkin require tickets booked in Y, S, B, M, H class only (Full Flex or Value categories, aka "the expensive tickets").
In theory. However, if (as an MVP or MVPG) you see the link to upgrade to F at OLCI or from an IT kiosk, feel free to click it and you the upgrade will be confirmed at no charge. AS has attempted to close this loophole (since it is tantamount to "jumping the queue") by restricting it to higher fare classes, but it occasionally still pops up even in the lower fare classes (from my understanding--been awhile since I've been on a flight with open F seats).

If you try to click it before the SABRE system fully realizes your MVP status, it'll want to charge you, but once SABRE has your MVP status fully updated in its systems (~2 weeks from when the Mileage Plan department confirms your status match), it should offer you the upgrade at no charge.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
AS has attempted to close this loophole (since it is tantamount to "jumping the queue") by restricting it to higher fare classes, but it occasionally still pops up even in the lower fare classes (from my understanding--been awhile since I've been on a flight with open F seats).
Doesn't sound like a loophole to me, sounds more like their upgrade process is busted.

If they properly upgraded people in the order they're supposed to, nobody ever gets a chance to jump the queue.

Or am I missing something? Are they holding back some seats for full F fare, and some for paid U too?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Doesn't sound like a loophole to me, sounds more like their upgrade process is busted.

If they properly upgraded people in the order they're supposed to, nobody ever gets a chance to jump the queue.

Or am I missing something? Are they holding back some seats for full F fare, and some for paid U too?
Revenue Management often tries to hold seats back for full F fare and then releases some into U class at the last minute. But their systems aren't smart enough to immediately run the upgrade waitlist processor as soon as they open U class up--there's a lag of sometimes several hours before the system runs the waitlist process.

So there is occasionally (and often more than occasionally) a window where U class will be open but people on the waitlist have not been upgraded, and anyone who qualifies can upgrade in the meantime. Those who watch this like a hawk can often snag a U seat even though there may be others ahead of them in the upgrade queue, or (as probably more often happens), someone on a paid Y, S, B, M, or H fare will see the upgrade link and upgrade themselves ahead of the dozens of MVPGs and MVPs in the upgrade queue.

It's not something AS does on purpose to try to get paid upgrades instead of complimentary MVP/G upgrades; it's just a technical thing they can't get right. Ideally, the system would be set up so that opening U class triggers the waitlist process immediately, but for some reason, they seem incapable of doing that.

I guess I can't say too many bad things about AS's IT department, since we actually have a functional website (as opposed to United.bomb), but there are a (very) few things they just can't seem to get right (despite being an early technological leader with e-ticketing, airport check-in kiosks, and the like). Coming from DL, you'll probably find AS a little bit technologically backwards:

-Lengthy delays in posting mileage
-No proper mobile-formatted website (though a beta was finally uncovered by an intrepid investigative FlyerTalker just a couple of days ago)
-No dedicated iPhone/BlackBerry/etc. app
-Little to no enforcement of boarding order
-Several loopholes and broken processes in their upgrade system, especially as it ties into their day-of-departure (airport control) system (things don't always transfer from their reservations system to their airport system perfectly)

But don't worry, you'll come to love our little carrier!

Edit: and oh yeah, flight status alerts have been an...issue. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...es-bother.html http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ed-fixing.html

Last edited by jackal; Feb 18, 2010 at 2:00 am
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
For MVP upgrades, where I have non-elites on the PNR, do I need to separate myself into a different record?

On DL/NW I always had to do this to ensure the automated upgrade processing wouldn't skip past me because of companions.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mlsrar
For MVP upgrades, where I have non-elites on the PNR, do I need to separate myself into a different record?

On DL/NW I always had to do this to ensure the automated upgrade processing wouldn't skip past me because of companions.
I think you may need to... but then they loose their free baggage waiver...
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Are 1-1250 mile flight upgrades still $50? It's been a few years since I purchased one.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CMK10
Are 1-1250 mile flight upgrades still $50? It's been a few years since I purchased one.
From alaskaair.com

First Class Upgrades
Paid Upgrades

Upgrade to First Class on Alaska Airlines for as little as $50.00 (USD). Combine upgrades in $50 increments based on one-way trip miles.
One-Way Trip Miles Price
0 - 1,250 $50
1,251 - 2,500 $100
2,501 - 3,750 $150
over 3,751 $200

Paid Upgrades may be available within 24 hours of flight departure through Web Check-In, or on the day of departure at the following Alaska Airlines airport locations:

* Check-In Kiosk (with Credit Card Only)
* Departure Gate (with Credit Card Only)

Award tickets and Bonus Travel Tickets are not eligible for paid upgrades. Paid upgrades are subject to availability, do not include stopovers, and exclude industry discounts. The link to upgrade to First Class during Web Check-In will only appear if First Class seats are still available for purchase. Upgrades can only be used in conjunction with Value or Full Flex fares. Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above. Value and Full Flex fare categories are booked in Y, S, B, M, or H classes of service.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by baliktad
Do these ever happen pre-24-hours, for example if you check in for a connecting flight, but it is still 28 hours before departure for the second segment? Or do you have to wait until 24 hours before your second segment before you do OLCI for the original flight if you want to take advantage of a paid upgrade (assuming it's available)?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:08 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

no it aint busted, thats how it works. At 24 hours the seats open up to anybody thats eligible to use miles, pay for it, or mvp upgrades when or if they become available. Some people seem to think that when a seat opens at 12 hours it should go to the next gold or mvp on the list. That aint how it works and isnt how its intended to work. When checkin starts at 23hr 59mins 59 seconds that elite list goes away and a new list is created based on checkin times for the same day gate upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.