Good Bye Northern Bites, Hello Hot Pockets®

Old Feb 10, 10, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Good Bye Northern Bites, Hello Hot Pockets®

From an internal communique:

In response to customer input, Alaska Airlines will commence serving Hot Pockets® onboard all flights of a three hour duration or longer, starting March 1. Northern Bites service will cease on that same date.

“The customer is always right,” says Steve Jarvis, Alaska Air Group vice president of marketing, sales and customer experience. “Hot Pockets® is on-the-move food for people on the go: our frequent flyers demand quality food to go with a quality in-flight beverage.”

Alaska will offer Hot Pockets® Calzone Pizzeria Pepperoni & Three Cheese Calzone for a $7 fee along with complimentary single ounce servings of Coca Cola, diet Coke, Coca-Cola Zero, Sprite and diet Sprite Zero.

Hot Pockets® will replace the the Northern Bites Country Breakfast Skillet, Deli Turkey Sandwich and U.S. Certified Angus Beef® Cheeseburger; and the Northern Bites® Picnic Packs will be replaced with a selection of quality product offerings from the Frito Lay Corporation, including BAKEN-ETS®, FUNYUNS®, and MUNCHOS®.

Last edited by BillScann; Feb 10, 10 at 1:34 am
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:05 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I well uhh...dont see much benefit. What I see is a smaller item and a $1 increase in price Hot pockets are good but small and well I dont buy them in the store because of what they cost for what they are...so I sure as heck wont be buying them on board. Im gonna go ahead and call BS on Mr Jarvis reasoning and statements as your typical corporate BS talking. Dont recall hearing gripes about the burger or much complaint of northern bites. What he is doing is turning this around on the customer instead of taking the blame himself for the degradation! Change what you want, just dont spin it around on the flyers, take some responsibility and grow a pair. Mr Jarvis you should be ashamed of yourself to blame the customer
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:12 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Wow, bad news day for in-flight food service. Hot Pockets are fattening sodium bombs. I will definitely miss the Y cheeseburger.

I'm also a little baffled why the Coke products would be served in single ounce servings? They're already free throughout the plane whether you buy food or not, so why tout that in this announcement?
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:14 am
ANC

Originally Posted by baliktad View Post

I'm also a little baffled why the Coke products would be served in single ounce servings? They're already free throughout the plane whether you buy food or not, so why tout that in this announcement?
maybe they forgot to mention that a cup of soda will now be $3? Who knows. I realize that AS is trying to be like the Jones's(no pun intended regarding the recent Jones soda issue). Gotta be just like their brethren AA and DL but the more they act like a legacy carrier, the more susceptible they become to the likes of VX and WN and FL entering the west coast. Actually I dont so much mind the changes. What gets me is the contempt and excuses from Jarvis

Last edited by ANC; Feb 10, 10 at 2:26 am
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I am not happy about this, Jones Cola and the cheeseburgers were both things I really enjoyed on Alaska. I actually looked forward to both. It may seem stupid, but this might be a deciding factor on if I book an upcoming flight on Delta instead.
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:55 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
Wow, bad news day for in-flight food service. Hot Pockets are fattening sodium bombs. I will definitely miss the Y cheeseburger.

I can't imagine any sort of survey where frequent flyers would pick a hot pocket over a cheeseburger. I'll bet the survey was worded poorly, and left out the words "hot pocket". Maybe something like "hot, fresh pepperoni calzone" vs. "warmish beef-like sandwich". Charging $7 for it just adds insult to gastrointestinal injury.

As for the coke, I wonder if they mention it because they are shrinking the serving size? Sounds like shots of Coke may be all people get now. Hopefully there's just a word missing from the press release (like the person didn't know how many ounces the glasses held, and forgot to fill it in before it was released).
Old Feb 10, 10, 3:25 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I'm relatively certain this whole thread is meant as a joke...
Old Feb 10, 10, 3:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Well, at least they're doing Lean Cuisine dinners in the F cabin. I believe the statement was something like they'd learned from the overwhelming popularity of the snack basket that F passengers prefer more wholesome products, and the convenience and security of pre-packaged food items was universally preferred by both FA's and passengers alike in this era of concern about cleanliness and potential infection spreading.

Kudos to AS for going for name recognition here! Now we'll know what we're getting and won't have to wonder exactly what an "Angus Cheeseburger" or "Asian Chicken Wrap" is.
Old Feb 10, 10, 3:48 am

Bill, you should have waited until April 1st for this one - it would have been funnier!

Relax everyone, it's a joke.
Old Feb 10, 10, 8:44 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
Well, at least they're doing Lean Cuisine dinners in the F cabin.
I heard it was going to be Conagra's Healthy Choice in conjunction with starting service to OMA.
Old Feb 10, 10, 9:37 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
It's a joke. There is no such news release:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=109361&p=irol-news&nyo=0

But it's an extremely well-written hoax to so closely parrot what people expect. Trust, but verify. Rules to live by on FT.
Old Feb 10, 10, 10:39 am
ANC

we got punked

Sounds about like what they would say though.
Old Feb 10, 10, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
The word you're looking for is 'satire'

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd View Post
It's a joke. There is no such news release:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=109361&p=irol-news&nyo=0

But it's an extremely well-written hoax to so closely parrot what people expect. Trust, but verify. Rules to live by on FT.
The Coke announcement is not listed in the page you posted: was that a hoax, too?

Me, I just thought that having something gross to drink should be complimented by something equally gross to eat, the two disgusting negatives cancelling each other out.

Last edited by BillScann; Feb 10, 10 at 3:56 pm Reason: sp. gr.
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BillScann View Post
The Coke announcement is not listed in the page you posted: was that a hoax, too?
It is there. It's the first news release listed with a link: "Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air Welcome Coke Back Onboard."
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Snowdevil View Post
Bill, you should have waited until April 1st for this one - it would have been funnier!

Relax everyone, it's a joke.
+1

Now watch out for 01.04.10

Search this Thread