Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Good Bye Northern Bites, Hello Hot Pockets®

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Bye Northern Bites, Hello Hot Pockets®

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Does anyone realize just how small a single ounce of Coke is? That must be a typo.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Does anyone realize just how small a single ounce of Coke is? That must be a typo.
Rumor has it that the Coke contract was WAY more expensive than Jones. So, you get a complimentary ounce of Coke. If you want the other 11 ounces it will be 3 bucks!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
The way this is going, 20 years from now, I'll be saying something like:

"Back in my day, they gave away soda for free. Also, the F/As didn't go up and down the aisle selling toilet paper by the linear yard and the TSA agents allowed you to keep most of your clothes on. Boy, those were the golden days of aviation.

Hold on son, we're at the beginning of the line. Whaddya mean--Special Screening again? <grimace>"
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:39 pm

I think the mod should lock this thread, since obviously a number of people here are seriously gullible.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by COS flyer
Rumor has it that the Coke contract was WAY more expensive than Jones. So, you get a complimentary ounce of Coke. If you want the other 11 ounces it will be 3 bucks!
...then $.50 per cube of ice.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
Originally Posted by beaver
...then $.50 per cube of ice.
Will the ice be proportionally sized to fit into a glass that holds a single ounce of Coke product? This I would pay to see.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Trust, but verify. Rules to live by on FT.
I prefer "kill the messenger"

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I think the mod should lock this thread, since obviously a number of people here are seriously gullible.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
This punked everyone else in the room here too ... they were freaking out over losing the healthy wheat cracker/almond butter/etc snack pack.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by maokh
This punked everyone else in the room here too ... they were freaking out over losing the healthy wheat cracker/almond butter/etc snack pack.
Alas, AS is becoming more and more like Every Other Airline, which is why being served a steady airline diet of Funyuns and 1oz Cokes seemed so plausable to so many FTers.

Some may like the homogenization, but hey, I'm one of those people who miss hearing regional accents on the local news channels.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
we got punked

Sounds about like what they would say though.
We?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
We?
Agreed.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yeah, I pretty much figured it for a gag...
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by BillScann
Alas, AS is becoming more and more like Every Other Airline, which is why being served a steady airline diet of Funyuns and 1oz Cokes seemed so plausable to so many FTers.

Some may like the homogenization, but hey, I'm one of those people who miss hearing regional accents on the local news channels.
No I'm pretty sure they believed it because you fabricated a press release making it sound like it was straight from AS and even went so far as to use the name of a real employee like Steve Jarvis.

Clearly there are still people only reading your first post and haven't read the subsequent posts or checked out the press release section of alaskaair.com to determine your statements are actually false.

While I understand the joke and you probably meant no harm, I don't know if it is in good taste to use somebody's real name in a false statement to "prove" that you think AS is becoming more like every other airline.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 402Fanatic
No I'm pretty sure they believed it because you fabricated a press release making it sound like it was straight from AS and even went so far as to use the name of a real employee like Steve Jarvis.
Although it's curious that, for all of his parody expertise, the OP says he couldn't find the real news release about Coke on the AS investor news release page. Even though it is there. For me, it was a logical place to check just to confirm the original post was meant as Onion-like humor.

I like a good joke, sardonic or sarcastic, as much as anyone as long as it's clever and not cruel. But there seems to be a sense of humor missing in subsequent responses, for some reason, perhaps because it's turning out the original post was meant less as a jest and more as a dig.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Feb 11, 2010 at 10:34 am Reason: added rationale
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
A Modest Reproach

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I like a good joke, sardonic or sarcastic, as much as anyone as long as it's clever and not cruel. But there seems to be a sense of humor missing in subsequent responses, for some reason, perhaps because it's turning out the original post was meant less as a jest and more as a dig.
Satire is a long-standing method of pointing-out problems; and while eating Munchos(tm) and drinking HFCS-laced Coke may disgust, it rises not to the level of eating Irish babies.

I really must be going: I mustn't be tardy for my triannual ear waxing appointment.

Last edited by BillScann; Feb 11, 2010 at 4:43 pm Reason: corrected # of ear waxing appts/added a second smiley face so FTers didn't think I went for thrice annual ear wax jobs. eom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.