Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Bye Bye PDX-LGB nonstop service...JetBlue is happy!

Old Feb 9, 10, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Gold VIP, Marriott Rewards Gold

Two daily Portland-Long Beach flights are being eliminated, effective April 20. Passengers will still be able to fly between the two cities via Seattle on two daily Horizon roundtrips to Long Beach.

The Long Beach schedule reductions are being re-deployed as an additional daily roundtrip each between Portland and Burbank and Portland and Ontario, starting June 6. The summer schedule is still being finalized.

“We continue to re-allocate capacity to fortify our network,” said Andrew Harrison, vice president of planning and revenue management. “Discontinuing Long Beach will strengthen remaining service between Southern California and Portland.
Old Feb 9, 10, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Who on earth (outside of mileage runners) would go PDX-SEA-LGB instead of PDX-LAX or PDX-SNA?

Also, you bet B6 is happy (and so is VX, I bet). Wonder if they will start any other routes and try to chase AS/QX off of them.
Old Feb 9, 10, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
Boy am I happy I booked the family Disneyland trip this summer on Jet Blue. My wife would be screaming at me if Alaska routed the family through Seattle.....in the long run this is a bummer. I've flown this route many times.
Old Feb 9, 10, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
This is great news for me! I shoot for segments every year - and fly LGB-PDX often - now I don't have to worry the lowest fare is a direct - it will always get me 2 more segments...:-)
Old Feb 9, 10, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Wait until they leave LGB entirely, again. With only 2 flights a day, that's a lot of ground support/lease space (etc.) expense.

I really don't get the whole LGB thing. There's plenty of history (somewhere on FT). Once they left, they should have stayed out. They (probably) returned to squeeze competition out, and now, look. No more AS flights, and almost no more QX.
Old Feb 9, 10, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Who on earth (outside of mileage runners) would go PDX-SEA-LGB instead of PDX-LAX or PDX-SNA?

Also, you bet B6 is happy (and so is VX, I bet). Wonder if they will start any other routes and try to chase AS/QX off of them.
Oh yes, definitely B6 will be very extremely happy to fly there from LGB-PDX. The entire routes are very successful on B6. It will have enough more profitability routes. This is limited slots restrictions in LGB. I bet B6 will additional more 3rd daily R/T LGB-PDX. I'm pretty confident VX will ever to acquiring more slots into LGB. This is particular consideration where VX will bring more specific new routes either way SEA or SFO-LGB.
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:15 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Compared with QX, B6 offers a much nicer product to begin with. I'm still wondering what AAG's long-term plans are for these CRJ routes when they're eventually retired.

If I were B6 I might go after PDX-SFO/OAK/SJC, but I'd say WN is their real competition in that realm. There ain't no way B6 is gonna fly to SNA.

If CA-PDX were such a red-hot market I'd think AS and WN would already have taken advantage.

I have a feeling that PDX is pretty far down the list of new destinations VX is considering, as what they they really need right now is a new midcon destination.
Old Feb 10, 10, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I have a feeling that PDX is pretty far down the list of new destinations VX is considering, as what they they really need right now is a new midcon destination.
Not so sure. VX likes to pair a short haul with a longer haul. Helps with the utilization.
Old Apr 18, 10, 6:14 pm

So, what are they doing with the slots? How long can they not use them? How about some LGB-Hawaii???
Old Apr 18, 10, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Very happy to hear about the extra BUR frequency. Just wish AS would take the 737 into BUR from PDX and not Horizon's CRapJet.
Old Apr 18, 10, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, what are they doing with the slots? How long can they not use them? How about some LGB-Hawaii???
They're gone. LGB doesn't let you squat on slots, like, say, LGA might (like how US is flying a bazillion LGA-PHL RJs until their deal with DL goes through). AS doesn't have any slots for large jets any more, and only has the ones for QX going SEA-LGB.

It's too bad, but given that there are TWO LCCs pummeling SoCal with low fares right now (VX and B6), pulling down LGB was probably the only choice they had.
Old Apr 18, 10, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by dabears1020 View Post
Very happy to hear about the extra BUR frequency. Just wish AS would take the 737 into BUR from PDX and not Horizon's CRapJet.
Get 157 of your friends to fly the route 4 times a day and you can bet the 737s would make a comeback.
Old Apr 18, 10, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by QXFAPDX View Post
Get 157 of your friends to fly the route 4 times a day and you can bet the 737s would make a comeback.
I never said it was a realistic wish.
Old Apr 19, 10, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by dabears1020 View Post
4x on the CRapJet or 0x....I think some non-stop flights are better than none.

Those RJs are what make the route viable since there isn't enough people to PROFITABLY support narrow body flights on AS metal....I think we'd all here at AS and QX would love to grow and eventually get that AS metal back in there.
Old Apr 19, 10, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by RASMguy View Post
4x on the CRapJet or 0x....I think some non-stop flights are better than none.

Those RJs are what make the route viable since there isn't enough people to PROFITABLY support narrow body flights on AS metal....I think we'd all here at AS and QX would love to grow and eventually get that AS metal back in there.
Oh I am well aware of the reasons why the CRJ is the aircraft of choice for PDX-BUR. It's clear the market right now would not support a 737 on that route. It's just my little unrealistic wish that the 737 were the aircraft for that route, but I totally understand why that doesn't happen. At least it gives me an excuse to fly PDX-SEA-BUR and pick up some extra segments and miles.

Search this Thread