SFO, STS, or OAK to NYC?

Old Feb 7, 10, 9:46 am
Original Poster

SFO, STS, or OAK to NYC?

Hello everyone,

I decided recently to put my eggs in the Alaska Airlines basket -- got status match to MVP Gold -- but unexpectedly for me I have quite a number of Bay Area - New York flights needed throughout the year.

Sometimes I need to save the most time, in which case I suppose flying AA or Delta (probably Delta?) metal makes the most sense direct to JFK. Other times, I'd rather enjoy upgrades etc. Is there a way to route that? AlaskaAir.com does not give me anything to work with and I'm also confused a little with that web site because it almost never gives me Delta flights even when they are cheaper than AA flights..

Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 7, 10, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by cksokolov View Post
Hello everyone,

I decided recently to put my eggs in the Alaska Airlines basket -- got status match to MVP Gold -- but unexpectedly for me I have quite a number of Bay Area - New York flights needed throughout the year.

Sometimes I need to save the most time, in which case I suppose flying AA or Delta (probably Delta?) metal makes the most sense direct to JFK. Other times, I'd rather enjoy upgrades etc. Is there a way to route that? AlaskaAir.com does not give me anything to work with and I'm also confused a little with that web site because it almost never gives me Delta flights even when they are cheaper than AA flights..

Thanks for any advice!
I'd fly on either AA or DL and book via their channels. Then just use your MP number. Otherwise, you'll have to fly over SEA (if it connects) and probably pay more than if you flew non-stop from the Bay Area.
Old Feb 7, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Fly out of SFO on DL or AA and they should have fairly reasonable prices due to competition with UA and VX out of SFO. If you are an AS MVPG, I would book DL since they let you pick better seats with their partnership with AS. Hopefully, in the future you may be able to get upgrades on DL due to your AS MVPG status but you'll probably never get one of the SFO-JFK route due to the number of DL elites and people paying for FC due to the long flight.
Old Feb 7, 10, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Sometimes the SEA/EWR connection prices competitively, sometimes it doesn't. It is a very long trip, however, you can try and use your gold upgrade coupons on the lowest fares - not always easy to use, but it can be done at times. You don't get to EWR until quite late. Also @ EWR, you have no lounge options unless you are a UA RCC member, or have Priority Pass.

For trips where I'd have the time, I'd take AS. For trips where I didn't, I'd probably take DL.
Old Feb 7, 10, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
One other thing - at least at the present time, if you have luggage, your status won't help you save fees on the partners.
Old Feb 7, 10, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I personally think UA has the nicest flights SFO-JFK (their "Premier" service) but in terms of Alaska Airlines I suspect Delta is the best option most of the time. I'm AAdvantage Platinum so I think I am going to try to book this as two one-ways on American Airlines metal and change to my Alaska Airlines MVP Gold number at the last minute if I don't get upgraded... we'll see...

I tried SFO-SEA-EWR but it was frightfully expensive for the weekend I want to fly.

Thanks to all!

Search this Thread