Community
Wiki Posts
Search

fishing rods

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

fishing rods

how long can a fishing pole be in overhead compartments in a boeing 737 I am going to Maztlan MX on Alaska Airlines
Old Feb 3, 2010, 7:54 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
10" H x 17" W x 24" L (25 x 43 x 61 cm)
@:-)

Actually I aint sure. I do know that actually you can have it put in a closet if space available per the rules
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
10" H x 17" W x 24" L (25 x 43 x 61 cm)
@:-)

Actually I aint sure. I do know that actually you can have it put in a closet if space available per the rules
I've seen them onboard overhead before, but not sure how they are handled... they also can be checked if you have a decent case (3" PVC pipe works well )
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
I've taken my spinning rod in a 3 ft tube and it fit in the overhead bin no problem. I have seen architects take drawings in tubes that were perhaps longer and had the FA store it in the front closet.

If you are taking a longer rod (such as a fly rod) you probably want to get a good rod case and check it in. I've done that before and it made it without a problem. I always pack my reels separately in my carry-on.

BTW, I bought a telescopic spinning rod that fits in my checked luggage and I took it down to Orlando with me last week. I had two hours between meetings so I went down to Lake Tohopekaliga and fished from the shore. I only had about 50 minutes to fish by the time I got there but I was able to bring in 2 bass, 1 pike and lost another. The largest of the bass was about 4 lbs so it was a pretty good outing. I think that rod will be part of my regular traveling kit from now on.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Hilton HHonors
I live in Alaska and see folks carrying fishing rods on airlines all the time.

Why don't you check with Alaska Airlines to ask them specifically?

I bet you won't have a problem!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

checking with alaska air lines

I called them twice talking to someone different each time. All they could quote me was yes I could and it would count as carry on baggage. My main question to them was how long are the overhead bins on a 737 and 800 series aircraft. I have three rod broken down and the longest is 47 inches but they could give me no lengths of the bin other that what size a normal carry bag could be. Also went on line but got the same answer. I usually carry them in a bullet proof gun case from cabelas but I am trying to cut down on the checked baggage now that they charge for fishing tackle.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:11 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by leesfga
I called them twice talking to someone different each time. All they could quote me was yes I could and it would count as carry on baggage. My main question to them was how long are the overhead bins on a 737 and 800 series aircraft. I have three rod broken down and the longest is 47 inches but they could give me no lengths of the bin other that what size a normal carry bag could be. Also went on line but got the same answer. I usually carry them in a bullet proof gun case from cabelas but I am trying to cut down on the checked baggage now that they charge for fishing tackle.
not an easy answer because there are different bins of different sizes. Im pretty sure some are longer than 47 inches even though the bin may consist of 2 doors. You have bins that are 3 or 4 feet and then you have the one at 1D right past the FA's magazine bin thats about 12 or 14 inches(perfect for my travel back pack )
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by leesfga
This is what alaskaair.com says on carry on baggage (click exceptions):

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
The following items may count as your "one" carry-on bag and may exceed the carry-on dimensions as long as they can be safely accommodated in a proper stowage compartment in the cabin of the aircraft.
* Art/Advertising portfolios
* Paintings
* Delicate scientific equipment
* Fishing poles
* Human organs
* Garment bags
Saw this was a change... since one could recently check for free a fishing pole & tackle... (in addition to the other two bags one got free)

But 4' tube (basically)... should fit as there are areas where there are at least 2 bins attached. Might be a bit awkward trying to fit it in there, but should work ^ (at least on the 800/900 series)

I have a side offshoot for the resident F/A's : I have an icon family wants me to take to the lower 48 that's 26.5" wide x 31" high... will this fit in the closet of an 800?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.