2 questions about DL PM flying AS

Old Jan 31, 10, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
2 questions about DL PM flying AS

Hello all,

It's been some time (~6 months) since I flew AS and I had two questions about experiences at SEA this morning.

1- Does AS waive checked baggage fees for DL elites? The agent on my in DFW on the DFW-SEA segment didn't charge me once she saw my status in the system but the agent in SEA for the SEA-DFW segment refused to budge on the $15, even when I showed my 2010 PM credentials.
2- Are DL elites granted access to the priority security lane? The lane dragon turned me away for the first time in recent memory. I have never once had an issue with being turned away with my PM credentials. I thought that if DL's elites are allowed to preboard and use the FC checkin lines (and vice-versa with AS' elites on DL), security lanes are part of that agreement too, right?
Old Jan 31, 10, 1:43 pm

1.) No, checked baggage fees are NOT waived for DL elites. (You got lucky in DFW )

Those who are exempt from baggage fees are:
  • MVP
  • MVP Gold
  • Confirmed in First Class at check-in
  • Within the state of AK
  • To/from Guadalajara and Mexico City
  • U.S. military personnel on orders

2.) Those allowed through the premium security line in Seattle:

C-concourse Checkpoint:
MVP Gold
First Class on AS
QX Shuttle Passengers

D/N Checkpoint:
MVP Gold
First Class on AS
UA First/Business Class
UA Premier Exec, 1K & Global Services
Star Alliance Gold
Old Jan 31, 10, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by United757 View Post
1.) No, checked baggage fees are NOT waived for DL elites. (You got lucky in DFW )

• MVP
  • MVP Gold
  • Within the state of AK

C-concourse Checkpoint:
MVP Gold
First Class on AS
QX Shuttle Passengers

D/N Checkpoint:
MVP Gold
First Class on AS
UA First/Business Class
Star Alliance Gold
WN A-list and BS customers also get priority at the C checkpoint.

I think the vast majority of DL pax use the A/S checkpoint, which doesn't have a priority lane. Whenever I have a red-eye flight on DL, I always schlep over to the C checkpoint (which is practically dead after 9 pm) to avoid the hoards at A/S.
Old Jan 31, 10, 1:51 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brosnan6 View Post
Hello all,

It's been some time (~6 months) since I flew AS and I had two questions about experiences at SEA this morning.

1- Does AS waive checked baggage fees for DL elites?
No. DL does not waive bag fees for AS elites either. As in your experience you may find an agent or two that will waive the fee for you but it is not published policy so YMMV.
2- Are DL elites granted access to the priority security lane? The lane dragon turned me away for the first time in recent memory. I have never once had an issue with being turned away with my PM credentials. I thought that if DL's elites are allowed to preboard and use the FC checkin lines (and vice-versa with AS' elites on DL), security lanes are part of that agreement too, right?
This, as you found out, is another YMMV situation. If you look at the signage for the security lanes at the AS/QX gates it is stated that only F pax., MVP Gold and the PDX/GEG shuttle flights are permitted through the "express" security lane. It really comes down to the ID checker on duty. Some will allow MVP but not partner elites. Some will allow anyone with an elite card from any airline partner or not. (I got through with my CO elite card after the dissolution of the AS/CO agreements.)
Old Jan 31, 10, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I think the vast majority of DL pax use the A/S checkpoint, which doesn't have a priority lane.
I went through the A/S checkpoint two weeks ago. It most certainly DID have a priority queue (which I got into using my AS MVPG card, even though I was flying WN, though the backup was still fairly heavy- about 15 minutes WITH cutting in line using the priority queue) I believe DL PMs get privileges at the A/S gate checkpoints at SEA, though I would have to see the sign to be sure. AS elites get in at ALL the checkpoints, since there are AS/QX flights out of N, D, C and A.
Old Jan 31, 10, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I went through the A/S checkpoint two weeks ago. It most certainly DID have a priority queue (which I got into using my AS MVPG card, even though I was flying WN, though the backup was still fairly heavy- about 15 minutes WITH cutting in line using the priority queue) I believe DL PMs get privileges at the A/S gate checkpoints at SEA, though I would have to see the sign to be sure. AS elites get in at ALL the checkpoints, since there are AS/QX flights out of N, D, C and A.
Perhaps it's the times of day I fly (usually off-peak), but I've certainly looked and never found it when flying DL or VX in F. Every time I've gone looking for a priority line at A/S, all I've found is a employee/crew/wheelchair line near the front to the left of the normal line.

I guess perhaps they must put the sign away when it's not operation. Even when the priority lines at the C/D/N checkpoints are closed, the signs are still there so at least you know they exist at certain hours. I've been told that LAX has a priority line as well during peak hours, but have yet to encounter any evidence of this myself.
Old Jan 31, 10, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf View Post
That is the other side of the checkpoint, where CO First Class, CO EliteAccess, and I assume *Gold also get priority. The C-Checkpoint closest to AS counters is what I was talking about.
Old Feb 1, 10, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AS BR, DL, HH Gold
Airlines have to make special arrangements with TSA in order to allow pax through the priority security line, which I am fairly certain involves the Airline paying the TSA. That's why a DL PM shouldn't be allowed through the priority check point at SEA -- because DL hasn't paid their dues there.

As an aside, I have been treated pretty crappy flying DL as an MVPG recently. One GA in Miami who didn't know the rules even sent me to the back of the line when I tried to board with Zone 2 (I had my Gold card).
Old Feb 1, 10, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SEA-ORDFF View Post
As an aside, I have been treated pretty crappy flying DL as an MVPG recently. One GA in Miami who didn't know the rules even sent me to the back of the line when I tried to board with Zone 2 (I had my Gold card).
Did you call Customer Care @ this? AS wants to let DL know of those not aware of the partnership...
Old Feb 1, 10, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Airlines have to make special arrangements with TSA in order to allow pax through the priority security line, which I am fairly certain involves the Airline paying the TSA. That's why a DL PM shouldn't be allowed through the priority check point at SEA -- because DL hasn't paid their dues there.
DL does have a priority lane at SEA, just over by the A/S gates. I last used it in mid-December.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I've always encountered a backup at this priority checkpoint as well. I think it's the way the lines are setup and several regular lines merge into the priority one as well.

Originally Posted by hgdf View Post

I think the vast majority of DL pax use the A/S checkpoint, which doesn't have a priority lane. Whenever I have a red-eye flight on DL, I always schlep over to the C checkpoint (which is practically dead after 9 pm) to avoid the hoards at A/S.
I didn't realize there was another C checkpoint aside from the central checkpoint with WN access. Will have to check it out next time. Also, please see my first comment about the existence of DL's priority lane.
Old Feb 1, 10, 11:53 am

Programs: United 1K 2009, DL Diamond 2010, Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold 2010
Delta and Alaska new Elite agreement coming soon

Last fall DL and AS canceled the previous Elite reciprocity agreement as part of the NW/DL merger. A new DL/AS agreement is to be announced early this year. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
Old Feb 1, 10, 11:55 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW View Post
Last fall DL and AS canceled the previous Elite reciprocity agreement as part of the NW/DL merger. A new DL/AS agreement is to be announced early this year. Hopefully we will hear something soon.
Yeah same here! Say the new reciprocal system should be in place by the end of Spring.
Old Feb 2, 10, 10:21 am
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by United757 View Post

• MVP
  • MVP Gold
  • Within the state of AK

C-concourse Checkpoint:
MVP Gold
First Class on AS
QX Shuttle Passengers

D/N Checkpoint:
MVP Gold
First Class on AS
UA First/Business Class
Star Alliance Gold
Are they still allowing people with no carry-on luggage to use the express lane?

This was a published benefit on the AS website a year or so ago, although the C checkpoint line guardian lady (whatever they are called) refused to honor it, even when I showed her the AS website on my iPhone.

The lady at D had no issues letting me in.

(I'd search for some info on the AS site, but my ancient G4 processor is completely taxed compiling various and sundry TeX libraries, making even surfing FT painful...)

I don't think the airlines pay TSA. At best, they may pay the airport authority or the contracted vendors who staff the boarding pass checker positions (whatever they're called). TSA told me that they have no control over the express lanes--it's up to the airlines to enforce who gets to use them, but once they arrive at the TSA ID checking podium, TSA has to accept them even if they don't qualify for the express line, since TSA only controls the area from the podium on and has no control over what goes on outside of the TSA checkpoint, including the security lines.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 2, 10 at 10:27 am
Old Feb 2, 10, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AS BR, DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I don't think the airlines pay TSA. At best, they may pay the airport authority or the contracted vendors who staff the boarding pass checker positions (whatever they're called). TSA told me that they have no control over the express lanes--it's up to the airlines to enforce who gets to use them, but once they arrive at the TSA ID checking podium, TSA has to accept them even if they don't qualify for the express line, since TSA only controls the area from the podium on and has no control over what goes on outside of the TSA checkpoint, including the security lines.
I think they must pay someone. Otherwise, why wouldn't they have one at every airport? AS only has them at GEG, SEA and PDX. There are quite a few other airports (ORD, EWR, LAX) that already have priority lanes where AS could just be added to the list.

Search this Thread