Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buying Alaska Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by COS flyer
But then there is the issue if AA loses JAL. And if AA can't convince Korean to come over to OneWorld...AA is going to need to do something to maintain the OneWorld presence in Northern Asia. Unfortunately, AA can't do that from Dallas and a West Coast hub would be ideal. I think within 2 years there could be some very interesting jockeying for position by the loser of JAL. Alaska unfortunately, will likely be in that conversation and not as a partner, but as assets.

But we haven't created the 2011 and 2012 predictions yet.
AS will buy JAL

That would be

I too wonder with the shake up of JAL what will happen...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:08 am

Y'all have got it all wrong.

My prediction: AS needs to spend some of that $1+ billion cash hoard and is buying HA in order to quickly obtain their longer-range 767/A330 fleet. Single aircraft type was a great idea at the time but is now out the door for operational reasons. Voila, no more headwind issues in the winter with the PNW-Hawaii flights.

With the new a/c, service is started between ANC-LHR, ANC-FRA, ANC-NRT and ANC-PVG. Maybe three-four times weekly each in summer, once or twice in winter. The longer-range a/c are moved south to Hawaii market in winter, still using the -800's in the summer when winds aren't an issue.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:51 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Talking Stop It!!!

Just say it ain't so! Delta is "knee-deep" in trying to lure JAL away from One World (I'm not much of Delta fan, but as I also hate AA, anything that would weaken AA pretty much brings a smile to my face).

I think we can sleep soundly tonight as this is simply not reality...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:59 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Now We're Talking!

Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS

My prediction: AS needs to spend some of that $1+ billion cash hoard and is buying HA in order to quickly obtain their longer-range 767/A330 fleet. Single aircraft type was a great idea at the time but is now out the door for operational reasons. Voila, no more headwind issues in the winter with the PNW-Hawaii flights.
Now there's a GREAT idea! HA widebody's vs. AS guppy's crossing the pond...that would probably make me think twice about taking UA or CO to Hawaii*

*This course would assume that if this ever happened, AS would upgrade the F class HA cabin. With CO running BF metal to Hawaii, it's a "no brainer" vs. HA's highly inferior hard & soft product. Don't get me wrong, love AS F service, but as we all know, they simply can't compete on this front...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW
I heard a rumor from a Delta pilot that Delta might be buying Alaska Airlines.
I've sometimes wondered what extreme turn of events might propel me to choose to fly UA. This would be it.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS

Or they could just ETOPS the 700's and solve their occasional HI issues.

With the new a/c, service is started between ANC-LHR, ANC-FRA, ANC-NRT and ANC-PVG. Maybe three-four times weekly each in summer, once or twice in winter. The longer-range a/c are moved south to Hawaii market in winter, still using the -800's in the summer when winds aren't an issue.
The 700LR could easily reach Europe and Asia from SEA/PDX/ANC, although I think the 787 would really be more suitable if AS wanted to get into the long haul international market.

Right now, AS is very much in the Goldilocks zone in the would of airlines, neither too big or too small. While I love the idea of expanding the route network internationally, the thought of the company doubling in size overnight makes me quiver with dread.

DL bought NW at fire sale prices as a means to gain a solid foothold in the Asian market. Given that AS is a healthy, profitable airline and that DL is now the world's largest, they'd probably have serious issues getting a merger past the federal antitrust regulators.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
I've sometimes wondered what extreme turn of events might propel me to choose to fly UA. This would be it.
^^^

Or having to read many more of these annual speculation threads.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
These rumors have been floating around since I started flying AS in the late 80s (RIP AirCal!). First it was American (after they bought AirCal), then it was American (after buying Reno Air), then it was Delta, then American again, then Delta, then Continental. I even heard United at one point. Now it's Delta again.

I somehow doubt DL would buy AS, but if they do, I'm back to flying WN exclusively.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Unfortunately, I can see DL buying AS. Welcome to your future.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
*This course would assume that if this ever happened, AS would upgrade the F class HA cabin. With CO running BF metal to Hawaii, it's a "no brainer" vs. HA's highly inferior hard & soft product. Don't get me wrong, love AS F service, but as we all know, they simply can't compete on this front...
From the West Coast CO uses 900ERs with Dom. F cabins and regular Dom. F service. "BusinessFirst" is only available on the non-stops from IAH and EWR and even then the in-flight service isn't quite on the same level, as BF on TATL and TPAC flights. AS doesn't need to compete with CO's BF product since it isn't offered from any of the markets AS serves to HI.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:47 pm

Why not have all airlines codeshare on each other--while you are at it, why not give them all 100% immunity on collaboration of all fares and flights. Like it or not we are heading down that path anyway. Delta is now the 800 pound gorilla in the room and they are starting to act like it. The Day that Delta takes over Alaska is the day that I stop flying on Alaska.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Tango
Why not have all airlines codeshare on each other--while you are at it, why not give them all 100% immunity on collaboration of all fares and flights. Like it or not we are heading down that path anyway.
OMG can you imagine the announcements? "Welcome aboard AS flight 100 with service to Seattle, Wa. Today's flight is operated in partnership with Delta, American, United, Lan, Aeroflot, BMI, Kingfisher, Namibia, AirAsia Berhad" (I just threw in the last one because it's IATA code is AK!)

Originally Posted by Tango
Delta is now the 800 pound gorilla in the room and they are starting to act like it. The Day that Delta takes over Alaska is the day that I stop flying on Alaska.
The day that DL takes over AS is the day I stop flying. Period. (In other words, it 'aint gonna' happen!)
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:05 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
OMG can you imagine the announcements? "Welcome aboard AS flight 100 with service to Seattle, Wa. Today's flight is operated in partnership with Delta, American, United, Lan, Aeroflot, BMI, Kingfisher, Namibia, AirAsia Berhad" (I just threw in the last one because it's IATA code is AK!)
seems like some flights in ANC or FAI are already this way

AS181, KLM 1991, DL 8911, NW3471, AF8991, AA7811, KE6024. Not that those are the actual flight numbers but looking at the LCD in FAI sometimes I count at least 4 sometimes 5 codeshares for 1 AS flight
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
These rumors have been floating around since I started flying AS in the late 80s (RIP AirCal!). First it was American (after they bought AirCal), then it was American (after buying Reno Air), then it was Delta, then American again, then Delta, then Continental. I even heard United at one point. Now it's Delta again.

I somehow doubt DL would buy AS, but if they do, I'm back to flying WN exclusively.
I agree that we have heard of merger rumors with Alaska and some other carrier for decades. I definitely recall the AA rumors, as they had some sort of interchange in the early 1990's where AS crews flew AA metal from SEA north, and AA crews flew AS metal south from SEA.

I think one of the first "breakout of the west coast" routes AS started was to ORD, and everyone thought that meant merger with AA.

Fast forward (is that a dated term now?) to today.

I'm a NW FF, dealing with the transition into DL. I see a lot of integration of the AS system into what DL now offers. If you go to delta.com, many flight options from SEA include AS.

In my own case, I have a membership in the former WorldClub, now the DL Skyclub. I just found out that a bp on DL with my SC card, will get me into the AS Boardroom; before, it took a bp on AS/QX to get in.

Merger, who knows? But they are definitely doing intensive cooperative collaboration.

I'd love to see the return of reciprocal upgrades, as I would like to fly AS.
I think AS flyers will love the DL aircraft with the inflight entertainment system.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog

You left out Northwest from the mid to late 90s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.