Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buying Alaska Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hgdf
I remember once flying on AA DFW-HOU on an AS MD80 and thinking to myself "Wow, that's a lot of legroom! I must try this Alaska Airlines some time."
That would have been an AS 727-200! The codeshare ended when AA and AS retired the 727-200. The pilot's unions refused to transfer the agreement over to the MD80.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
For those of you too young to remember, DL bought a western U.S. airline and let mostof the network slowly die. No mainline carrier buying a western regional carrier has worked well (or at all) other than WN buying its clone, Morris Air.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW
I heard a rumor from a Delta pilot that Delta might be buying Alaska Airlines. Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Yes, do a search. They usually pop out right after earnings are announced.

It is my experience that Chief Pilots get the inside scoop at Management meetings - and then moments later that information is leaked to the Pilot Union. Therefore Pilot rumors are usually more reliable than the jumpseat chatter of Flight Attendants.
Right, because at a public company regulated by the SEC, the CFO, CTO, and COO are going to include a non-flying Chief Pilot in speculative acquisition banter, which in turn gets leaked right to the largest rumor mill i have ever seen. Pilots also talk to Flight Attendants.

Anyone ever involved in an acquisition understands the strict secrecy required for handling such a transaction. Its on a need to know basis, which most management is never made aware of until the deal is made public. Know, perhaps they may consult a chief pilot for due diligence, but i am not sure how that would make sense.

Or they could just ETOPS the 700's and solve their occasional HI issues.
You might as well just plan on losing money every time you fly that route, as the 737-700 is just not economical to fly with the typical first class/coach configuration..unless you were somehow flying a full first/business class configuration and able to sell the tickets. Its probably cheaper to make a technical stop every now and then.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
For those of you too young to remember, DL bought a western U.S. airline and let mostof the network slowly die. No mainline carrier buying a western regional carrier has worked well (or at all) other than WN buying its clone, Morris Air.
Referring to Delta's purchase of Western in 1987?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
"Smile California, PSA is now USAir!"
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Referring to Delta's purchase of Western in 1987?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Smile California, PSA is now USAir!"
Any smart marketing logos of AA's purchases of Air Cal and Reno Air?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the smile on my guess, but what follows is a refutation of your argument.

Google is young but has a vast command of facts. Point to a 1985 route map for Western.

http://www.airtimes.com/cgat/usc/wes...apwa850904.jpg

I count 62 destinations from SLC, not all non-stop. Six have been dropped by Delta from SLC but may be served by codeshare (most of these by AS, actually).

Three others are not served by DL or codeshare partners from SLC: Bismarck, Sioux Falls (both via MSP), and Acapulco.

In return, SLC has gained Delta non-stops to Tokyo, Paris, Maui, Miami... Seems like a pretty good trade, all in. It appears the Western system, far from being ignored and left to die, forms the basis for Delta's success from SLC today.

http://delta.innosked.com/
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You might look at the non-SLC destinations and contemplate whose route network that might resemble.

Hint: it's not DL's.

Second hint: their planes have an eskimo on the tail...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by maokh
Right, because at a public company regulated by the SEC, the CFO, CTO, and COO are going to include a non-flying Chief Pilot in speculative acquisition banter, which in turn gets leaked right to the largest rumor mill i have ever seen. Pilots also talk to Flight Attendants.

Anyone ever involved in an acquisition understands the strict secrecy required for handling such a transaction. Its on a need to know basis, which most management is never made aware of until the deal is made public. Know, perhaps they may consult a chief pilot for due diligence, but i am not sure how that would make sense.
Yeh, but accepting reality would kill off all the good rumour-mill discussions.

But, you are completely correct. NO pilot, F/A or any employee lower than Board Room and senior executive level will have more than zero/none/nada/zilch information on any merger/acquisition between two publicly-traded companies without someone suffering the consequences of insider-trading and confidentiality rules of the SEC, never-mind the internal policies of the companies involved.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd forgo being an elite if DL bought AS...

AS is moving to T-6 this year in a 150 million dollar move

New checkin, new Boardroom, new everything (except building) - but T6 will be renovated to some degree ^
Hello, I'm new to this blog thing, but I see the benefit in that there are all sorts of bits of information out there that turn out to be useful.

On the mention of a new BR at LAX, is there any thought to a BR at SJC's new Terminal B? I see the chatter about adding new routes, etc from SJC, there is nothing slated for SJC's new terminal, and there is only an AA lounge in A. Couldn't the addition of routes, a new terminal, coupled with patronage from DL guys be justification for a BR?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by longdrelation
Hello, I'm new to this blog thing, but I see the benefit in that there are all sorts of bits of information out there that turn out to be useful.

On the mention of a new BR at LAX, is there any thought to a BR at SJC's new Terminal B? I see the chatter about adding new routes, etc from SJC, there is nothing slated for SJC's new terminal, and there is only an AA lounge in A. Couldn't the addition of routes, a new terminal, coupled with patronage from DL guys be justification for a BR?
I would hope there would be one eventually, but have not heard any chatter on the matter. It does make sense for the SJC-AUS tech route though... and OGG definitely could use a club IMHO (even if it just has free wifi, A/C and juice) - a stand alone one operated by keycode on the door - AS could take over the old AQ/MW club... in both KOA and OGG

As for posting on the boards- it is great fun, and a good way to get your questions answered, find upcoming trends/routes/service, and have fun with others who are addicted to travel Case in point-were having an event in ANC this March- check out my signature for more info ^.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robsaw
Yeh, but accepting reality would kill off all the good rumour-mill discussions.

But, you are completely correct. NO pilot, F/A or any employee lower than Board Room and senior executive level will have more than zero/none/nada/zilch information on any merger/acquisition between two publicly-traded companies without someone suffering the consequences of insider-trading and confidentiality rules of the SEC, never-mind the internal policies of the companies involved.
Huh? Some non-executive may well have info about a mergin/acquisition between two publicly traded companies. They may do things like analyses on the feasibility of a merger, for example. However, they absolutely must not speak publicly about such details under SEC rules.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You might look at the non-SLC destinations and contemplate whose route network that might resemble.

Hint: it's not DL's.

Second hint: their planes have an eskimo on the tail...
Speaking of which, my Mother used to frequently travel to Alaska for work from SEA. She used to fly Western because she could come back through HNL for only $50 extra!! Any other oldtimers remember this deal???
Old Feb 2, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
It is my experience that Chief Pilots get the inside scoop at Management meetings - and then moments later that information is leaked to the Pilot Union. Therefore Pilot rumors are usually more reliable than the jumpseat chatter of Flight Attendants.

Soon we will be hearing news of the new DL/AS Elite member reciprocity that was recently halted as the DL/NW merger was finalized. Sometimes rumors can be a result of hearing inside information of that sort.

Who knows? Delta needs more of a west coast presence. Delta is now the world's largest airline - so could easily sync with AS and old AS routes could survive without the need of AA feeder traffic.

My only hope is that if it happened - Delta management would invest in the AS LAX terminal. What a dump!

it seems that delta already bought into an airline with a large west coast presence, namely Western, and let it go down the toilet. except for SLC , Western routes are a memory. the 737 psp- las was a very nice trip, for example.

Last edited by marbles dad; Feb 2, 2010 at 5:52 pm Reason: date entry error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.