Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta buying Alaska Airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Donna49
I agree that we have heard of merger rumors with Alaska and some other carrier for decades. I definitely recall the AA rumors, as they had some sort of interchange in the early 1990's where AS crews flew AA metal from SEA north, and AA crews flew AS metal south from SEA.
I remember once flying on AA DFW-HOU on an AS MD80 and thinking to myself "Wow, that's a lot of legroom! I must try this Alaska Airlines some time."
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:27 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I think AS flyers will love the DL aircraft with the inflight entertainment system.
too much of a gambling game for me. You dont know what you will actually be flying on until it rolls up and you board. It could be a DL jet or it could be a POS NW jet repainted on the exterior with the same interior
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It could be a DL jet or it could be a POS NW jet repainted on the exterior with the same interior
The NW A330s are pretty nice, actually, and they've turned on IFE for the ex-NW 753s that fly to HI (and often stop in SEA).

The A320s aren't much, but I've been in DL 738s with no IFE, either.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by greybeardy
You left out Northwest from the mid to late 90s.
You're right! I forgot about that one! Though technically I covered it since NW = Delta now.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:24 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Check Out The New Flight Schedule...

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
From the West Coast CO uses 900ERs with Dom. F cabins and regular Dom. F service. "BusinessFirst" is only available on the non-stops from IAH and EWR and even then the in-flight service isn't quite on the same level, as BF on TATL and TPAC flights. AS doesn't need to compete with CO's BF product since it isn't offered from any of the markets AS serves to HI.
CO is adding 767 BF metal out of LAX this month. And I do see what your saying about AS not completing on many of AS West coast markets. Now that CO is part of the *A, (& being based in PHX/FLG) I'll opt to fly CO out of LAX in order to take advantage of the BF flights. I'm not trying to trash AS at all here. I'd rather have a better in flight experiance if at all possible. Same rational as taking UA p.s. flights transcon vs AS...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
too much of a gambling game for me. You dont know what you will actually be flying on until it rolls up and you board. It could be a DL jet or it could be a POS NW jet repainted on the exterior with the same interior
Perhaps. I can only relate my own experience.

I have flown 7 trips out of SEA in Jan, all begining with DL 757s to ATL. There has never been a downgrade in equipment on any flight; everything SEA-ATL is 757 with the nice IFE system and onboard wifi.

As I knew I had a number of trips booked on DL, I bought a 30 day gogo (their wifi system) pass for $30. This has worked out extremely well. Perhaps I'm a wifi addict, but I have to say that I can get so much more done in-flight, that I now find this a booking priority.

On my last trip outbound, it was a DL flight with the full IFE package. As I was not upgraded as I had been on all prior trips (still, an aisle in an exit row) the avaiability of these services was nice.

This is something I did not miss until the return home trip, which was on NW from MSP. Upgraded, but no IFE, no wifi...just not the same.

Perhaps you just can't go back. I remember a few years ago, flying NW, thinking I don't need/want IFE; I'd rather read my book. Somehow, after multiple flights with in-flight wifi and/or IFE, it is just not the same.

I'm a Plat with NW for years, and I went into this merger with a great deal of trepidation. There is good and bad. The in-flight service with the IFE (incl TV and wifi) is great...having to deal with connecting thru ATL leaves a lot, a lot of lot, to be desired.

As others have said, DL needs to take care of this merger before moving on, and even thinking of AS.

AS has always retained independence from other carriers, and continued to survive. Above all, they have very strong flyer loyality, as this forum can attest to.

Whether DL and AS move closer remains to be seen. Still, interesting to talk about. I'd love to see the reciprocal upgrade agreement return. AS is a fantastic airline. and I'd hate to see that change with a merger.

My feeling is keep AS independent, but make it as seamlees as possible between AS an DL.

Just a final note. nwa.com ended today, and many of us NW FF's miss it. Compared to delta.com, nwa.com was fantastic.

As with all changes in life, there are the desirable and the less than desireable. I just take what comes along with my preferred carrier (NW...now DL); if really bad, I'll find a better airline, but for now I can live with the changes.

Last edited by Donna49; Jan 31, 2010 at 6:52 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by FLYWORLDNOW
It is my experience that Chief Pilots get the inside scoop at Management meetings - and then moments later that information is leaked to the Pilot Union. Therefore Pilot rumors are usually more reliable than the jumpseat chatter of Flight Attendants.

You're kidding, right? What a bunch of hooey. The Pilots are no more clued in then the Flight Attendants are, despite your experiences. The Chief Pilot is management, despite being a Pilot. It's not likely, nor is it my experience, that the Chief Pilot is out leaking any confidential information to the union folks, at risk of losing his job.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Just a final note. nwa.com ended today, and many of us NW FF's miss it. Compared to delta.com, nwa.com was fantastic.
^

I agree. I was NW Platinum for several years (simultaneous with AS MVP Gold) and actually had little to complain about Northwest compared to some other legacy carriers I had to fly. I especially liked the Web site compared to Delta as a Plat looking for awards or creating routings. RIP, nwa.com.

However, it was always interesting when I flew NW and mentioned I was an AS MVPG. Inevitably, an FA or other crew member would say, "Aren't we buying you?"

Apparently not.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Gold VIP, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways
CO is adding 767 BF metal out of LAX this month. And I do see what your saying about AS not completing on many of AS West coast markets. Now that CO is part of the *A, (& being based in PHX/FLG) I'll opt to fly CO out of LAX in order to take advantage of the BF flights. I'm not trying to trash AS at all here. I'd rather have a better in flight experiance if at all possible. Same rational as taking UA p.s. flights transcon vs AS...
I cannot find B767 on CO out of LAX to Hawaii; only B737-800 & 900's going forward on LAX-HNL & OGG.

Where and when?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
CO is adding 767 BF metal out of LAX this month.
I cannot find B767 on CO out of LAX to Hawaii; only B737-800 & 900's going forward on LAX-HNL & OGG.
[tangent completely unrelated to AS]

Same here; dummy booking on CO, got 738.

I guess CO doesn't have anything better to do with a bird capable of going intercontinental (and drawing some business fares) than flying it to a well-served leisure market (HI) out of a UA focus city (LAX). Also funny that they'd undercut their BF product to HI out of their hubs: the rules say BF is not a free upgrade to HI out of EWR, CLE or IAH... but I guess it will be out of LAX? So you could go IAH/CLE/EWR-LAX and THEN get the free upgrade to BF? Isn't that kind of cutting your own throat?

Kinda to me, but, hey, enjoy BF. We'll settle for 738 F on AS.

[/tangent]
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
Y'all have got it all wrong.

My prediction: AS needs to spend some of that $1+ billion cash hoard and is buying HA in order to quickly obtain their longer-range 767/A330 fleet. Single aircraft type was a great idea at the time but is now out the door for operational reasons. Voila, no more headwind issues in the winter with the PNW-Hawaii flights.

With the new a/c, service is started between ANC-LHR, ANC-FRA, ANC-NRT and ANC-PVG. Maybe three-four times weekly each in summer, once or twice in winter. The longer-range a/c are moved south to Hawaii market in winter, still using the -800's in the summer when winds aren't an issue.
And the new name? Non-Continental Airlines? or See Inset Airways?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
^

I agree. I was NW Platinum for several years (simultaneous with AS MVP Gold) and actually had little to complain about Northwest compared to some other legacy carriers I had to fly. I especially liked the Web site compared to Delta as a Plat looking for awards or creating routings. RIP, nwa.com.

However, it was always interesting when I flew NW and mentioned I was an AS MVPG. Inevitably, an FA or other crew member would say, "Aren't we buying you?"

Apparently not.
Forgot this was happening... sad to see nwa.com gone... RIP
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Perhaps the 762 on CO is a maintenance rotation to get it to Hong Kong? I think I've seen them do this on occasion.

I heard a rumor from a friend of a friend who has a neighbor that is an AS pilot. Apparently AS is going to buy 25 787s and open up SEA-PPT, SEA-MAD and SEA-SYD. The 787s will also be used on high density routes like SEA-LAX.

Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
Y'all have got it all wrong.

My prediction: AS needs to spend some of that $1+ billion cash hoard and is buying HA in order to quickly obtain their longer-range 767/A330 fleet. Single aircraft type was a great idea at the time but is now out the door for operational reasons. Voila, no more headwind issues in the winter with the PNW-Hawaii flights.

With the new a/c, service is started between ANC-LHR, ANC-FRA, ANC-NRT and ANC-PVG. Maybe three-four times weekly each in summer, once or twice in winter. The longer-range a/c are moved south to Hawaii market in winter, still using the -800's in the summer when winds aren't an issue.
Bring it on!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:09 pm

DL is buying AS again?

If we all had a dollar for every time __________ (insert random airline here) was going to buy AS...we'd all be millionaires and then wouldn't have to speculate any longer about who will actually buy AS because we'd all have spent all that money to buy our own private FlyerTalk island where we would lie on the beach all day drinking beer and speculating instead about who is going to get the darkest tan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.