AA reward: Open Jaw not allowed across zones?

Old Jan 18, 10, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

AA reward: Open Jaw not allowed across zones?

I talked to the reward desk yesterday, and they're telling me that they can't book an AA open jaw reward that is in different zones (ie into Europe out of Caribbean in my case). On AA's website it seems to imply an open jaw across zones is allowed, and the higher point cost is the total cost.

Does anyone have an experience with this kind of reward booked through the partner desk?? I was trying for trying YVR-MAD SXM-YVR
Old Jan 18, 10, 4:38 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
The litmus test for a "legal" open-jaw is the unflown segment must be shorter than the two flown segments. In your case, and according to the GCM which most airlines use to calculate air miles, YVR-MAD is 5230 miles, SXM-YVR is 3940 and MAD-SXM (the "unflown" segment) is 3830. For this itinerary it is, just barely, a true open jaw. Perhaps armed with this information the Partner Desk will look into it further.
Old Jan 18, 10, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
So the issue appears to be that the partner desk doesn't have a way to process an award with 2 separate redemption values (Europe and Caribbean). I suspect with some further discussion, you'll get a supervisor to override and allow you to redeem the higher value for the itin - please let us know, I'm curious.

However...I'm assuming you're planning to fly MAD - SXM? Have you considered an itinerary with a stopover with an intermediate destination such as:

YVR - MAD - NYC//NYC - YVR -or-
YVR - MAD - ORD//ORD - YVR -or-
YVR - MAD - MIA//MIA - YVR

if you're flying, a r/t from NYC, ORD, or MIA might be a lot cheaper for you than a 1/w MAD - SXM. Of course, you may have other travel plans. If you do consider the stopover, do your research on fares. One always assumes that MIA is the cheapest gateway to Latin America/the Caribbean...but NYC, ORD, and several other east coast cities have been ringing in some amazing fares that direction lately if you don't mind a little extra flying...and what FTer doesn't mind a little extra flying!

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Jan 18, 10 at 5:36 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 18, 10, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
So the issue appears to be that the partner desk doesn't have a way to process an award with 2 separate redemption values (Europe and Caribbean). I suspect with some further discussion, you'll get a supervisor to override and allow you to redeem the higher value for the itin - please let us know, I'm curious.

However...I'm assuming you're planning to fly MAD - SXM? Have you considered an itinerary with a stopover with an intermediate destination such as

Actually I'm taking a boat....

I'm fully aware of what makes and doesn't make a valid open jaw, and I purposely picked SXM because it makes the unflown (MAD-SXM) as the shortest leg (SJU & STT are not quite) starting in YVR.

but, yes the big issue is "has anyone managed to get an AA open jaw reward to/from two different redemption zones". I really don't care if you were Europe/Caribbean or Asia/Europe or whatever...
Old Jan 18, 10, 7:49 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by CZBB View Post
Actually I'm taking a boat....

I'm fully aware of what makes and doesn't make a valid open jaw, and I purposely picked SXM because it makes the unflown (MAD-SXM) as the shortest leg (SJU & STT are not quite) starting in YVR.

but, yes the big issue is "has anyone managed to get an AA open jaw reward to/from two different redemption zones". I really don't care if you were Europe/Caribbean or Asia/Europe or whatever...

I figured you might be on a boat. Good for you!

Unfortunately I've never done what you're proposing. Here's another instance where one way partner awards would be such a beneficial addition to the AS program. AA offers one way awards on these routes - you could consider posting on coupon connection for a trade of AS miles to AA miles. Keep us posted with any developments.

Search this Thread