United back to Anchorage

Old Jan 13, 10, 11:35 am
Original Poster

United back to Anchorage

Just read that United is going to begin seasonal service to Anchorage for summer 2010.

Chicago Anchorage
UA431 ORD0945 1317ANC 752 D 09JUN10 30AUG10
UA855 ORD1700 2032ANC 752 6

UA498 ANC2022 0520+1ORD 752 D 09JUN10 30AUG10
UA884 ANC2200 0658+1ORD 752 6

UA855/884 schedule varies from 22MAY10 to 04JUN10 and 04SEP10 25SEP10

Denver Anchorage
UA701 DEN1810 2145ANC 319 D
UA894 ANC2350 0657+1DEN 319 D

San Francisco Anchorage
UA806 SFO1550 1932ANC 757 D
UA565 ANC1415 2001SFO 752 D

although this is the Alaska Airlines forum, figured that you would all be interested.
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Very interesting...they just couldn't stay away. Hoping this means better fares on these routes.

This gives Star Alliance relatively good non-stop access to ANC:
CO - SEA, IAH
US - PHX, PHL*
UA - SFO*, DEN*, ORD*
AC - YVR*

In fact, in the summer, *A ties AS in number of non-stop destinations in the lower 48 (8) (albeit much less capacity on *A):
ORD, DEN*, HNL, OGG, LAX*, PDX, SFO*, SEA

But using AS EQM partners (better than any alliance), AS + partners is the clear winner (13)
DL: ATL*, DTW*, MSP, SLC
AA: ORD*, DFW*

*Summer only

Too bad AA doesn't choose an East Coast to ANC non stop to give us more options rather than ORD to ANC...but clearly ORD must be a decent route for everyone.
Old Jan 13, 10, 8:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Great news to hear!

I wonder who will ground handle them, though. IIRC they originally wanted to go seasonal but nobody would ground handle them in the already-busy summer months, so they kept their employees and made a half-hearted attempt at winter service in 07/08 before dumping ANC completely.
Old Jan 13, 10, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Great news to hear!

I wonder who will ground handle them, though. IIRC they originally wanted to go seasonal but nobody would ground handle them in the already-busy summer months, so they kept their employees and made a half-hearted attempt at winter service in 07/08 before dumping ANC completely.
I know...! My question as well... Who does CO & US use again? After all, they are partners now...
Old Jan 13, 10, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Great news to hear!

(emphasis mine)

Huh?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't UA have year round presence in ANC for years with the addition of seasonal service from ORD and SFO before they decided to pull the plug completely in 08, which is why it made the pull out such a big deal? (i.e. loss of jobs for all of their ground crew).

I know when I flew out of here in winter of 2003, I had a non-stop flight on UA from ANC to DEN, which I was able to switch to as a stand-by from a UA operated ANC - SEA - DEN route
Old Jan 13, 10, 9:49 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Now It Gets Interesting!!!

Depending upon the metal, I tend to prefer UA F class over AS F product. BUT, if I'm going to have a shot at Platinum on AS this year, then I'll really have to pound out some flying. With UA unlimited F class upgrade coming 2nd Q & their new top tier threshold bonuses, flying AS is getting even tougher. But, I gotta get to LAX via FLG, so it's AS all the way for at least 5 months this year (-;
Old Jan 13, 10, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways View Post
Depending upon the metal, I tend to prefer UA F class over AS F product. BUT, if I'm going to have a shot at Platinum on AS this year, then I'll really have to pound out some flying.
I'm curious - without MVPP benefits even being announced, what makes you so sure that you'll want to stretch your travel to achieve it? Is there something you're pining for that is sure to be a benefit to platinum folks? Do you just want to be first on the upgrade list? Or is it just a more ephemeral notion of being "top dog"?
Old Jan 13, 10, 10:40 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
With all this Anchorage surge I wonder if the airport is luring them all to that new terminal with contracts that are too good to refuse. So now in the summer we have

6x daily to ORD (3 carriers)
3x daily to DEN (3 carriers)
2x daily to SFO (2 carriers assuming AS has nonstop in summer again)

It might actually force AS to offer something better than an ANC/ORD $358 web special
Old Jan 13, 10, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
With all this Anchorage surge I wonder if the airport is luring them all to that new terminal with contracts that are too good to refuse. So now in the summer we have

6x daily to ORD (3 carriers)
3x daily to DEN (3 carriers)
2x daily to SFO (2 carriers assuming AS has nonstop in summer again)

It might actually force AS to offer something better than an ANC/ORD $358 web special
Hey now... I'd take $358 if that was RT

And that's 6x to ORD on Sat, otherwise 5x a day...
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:07 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Well...

Originally Posted by baliktad View Post
I'm curious - without MVPP benefits even being announced, what makes you so sure that you'll want to stretch your travel to achieve it? Is there something you're pining for that is sure to be a benefit to platinum folks? Do you just want to be first on the upgrade list? Or is it just a more ephemeral notion of being "top dog"?
Had an opportunity to have a "f2f" meeting with Double R some months ago. Got a preview of what's coming. Pretty exciting stuff, (really)!

If I gotta fly an airline, I'm only interested in "top dog" status. The benefits are clearly worth it. There's one benie attached to Platinum, that to me, is even better than sex!

The thing is, I gotta fly AS as it is my only choice* out op FLG during the summer months. So, mine as well get to then top of the totem pole** (-;

*Yes, US Scareways does fly out of FLG, but I's rather be spend the day at the thick-fingered-proctologist before flying on UA Air.
**There's a crazy chance I could end up making Global Services on UA this year. If THAT happens, I don't see how I could fly any other airline. Lord knows what I would do this summer???
Old Jan 13, 10, 11:57 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Hey now... I'd take $358 if that was RT

And that's 6x to ORD on Sat, otherwise 5x a day...
Hell you cant even get RT to SEA anymore on AS for $358 Id sure welcome VX or WN to tap that market! This weeks web special ANC-SEA one way $253. Gee I aint sure if Im supposed to laugh hysterically or cry
Old Jan 14, 10, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Hell you cant even get RT to SEA anymore on AS for $358 Id sure welcome VX or WN to tap that market!
You know what's interesting to me. ORD-ANC is only 50 miles shorter than BOS-SNN. Most people would consider $358 o/w a pretty decent fare during the summer to Europe. For some reason, because it's between two points in the U.S. it's an outrageous fare. I don't get it. Just FYI, however, I see a round trip fare in July from ORD-ANC for $538. Not a bad fare for a flight that's almost 3000 miles long.
Old Jan 14, 10, 12:56 am

Hell you cant even get RT to SEA anymore on AS for $358 Id sure welcome VX or WN to tap that market! This weeks web special ANC-SEA one way $253. Gee I aint sure if Im supposed to laugh hysterically or cry
Supply and Demand. Pure and simple. Until people stop paying the fare, it won't go down. Same reason a flight from Denver to Grand Junction, CO on UA costs $400 roundtrip even though it's a 55 minute flight.
Old Jan 14, 10, 12:56 am
ANC

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post
. Just FYI, however, I see a round trip fare in July from ORD-ANC for $538. Not a bad fare for a flight that's almost 3000 miles long.
I saw that too which goes to show that competition has already brought some fares to reasonable levels.
Old Jan 14, 10, 5:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by I_Hate_US_Airways View Post
If I gotta fly an airline, I'm only interested in "top dog" status. The benefits are clearly worth it. There's one benie attached to Platinum, that to me, is even better than sex!

*Yes, US Scareways does fly out of FLG, but I's rather be spend the day at the thick-fingered-proctologist before flying on UA Air.
1) that is really, really sad
2) I'd rather spend the day with a thick fingered proctologist befor flying UA as well!

Search this Thread