Using Alaska Miles on Qantas is horrible

Old Jan 1, 10, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
Using Alaska Miles on Qantas is horrible

I am sending you this message from the American Airlines/ Qantas lounge at LAX while awaiting the departure of flight QA 26 to Auckland. This is to be my first time flying Qantas and I was excited about the experience. Unfortunately, my interactions with Qantas staff here in Los Angeles have been disappointing to say the least.

I live in Seattle and am a loyal Alaska Airlines customer. So loyal, in fact, that I was able to book a ticket in Qantas business class using my Alaska frequent flyer miles. At the time of booking only a premium economy seat was available. My return flight is a business class seat. I was told by both Alaska Partner desk and Qantas customer service to ask for a business class seat when I arrived in Los Angeles.

After an amazing flight on Alaska from SEA to LAX, I checked in at the Qantas desk. I was told business class was very empty, however only Alaska could change my seat. Surprisingly, the Qantas agent, Hazel, was totally unhelpful and very rude. She said to have Alaska call Qantas. I dutifully called the Alaska Partner Desk where the Alaska agent, Vivian, called Qantas customer service who told her that only the check in gate can reassign me a seat. Qantas customer service also verified that that business class was nearly empty. Yet, no one was able to assign one of those empty seats to me, despite my having reserved a business class ticket. Hazel reaffirmed that there was nothing she could do.

All of this transpired at approximately 6pm. Since my flight was not scheduled to depart until 11, I requested access to the business class lounge, since I was traveling under a business class award. Again, Hazel gave me a flat out no. I then asked her if I should have flown V Australia, and her response was “ Yes please fly them next time.”

Why couldn’t I have access to the lounge at the very least. I have access on my return flight and this is a business class award. I ended up just paying
I am completely shocked by the dysfunctional and unacceptable level of service I received. If I am flying using a business class award and business class is empty, why can’t they put me in business class. There is no loss of revenue to Qantas and the brand good will would be enormous. I am a marketing professional and I know that Happy Customers = Return customers.

As a loyal Alaska customer, I have to ask myself I Alaska wants a partner that treats their best customers this way. My experience runs contrary to everything I have heard about Qantas. In fact, it is the type of experience that would encourage me to consider other carriers – and encourage my friends to do the same. Just as an aside, the friends who I am meeting in New Zealand flew V Australia…I’m looking forward to comparing notes.
Old Jan 1, 10, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
So disappointing to hear this...I wonder if anyone else has had a different experience.

This is important to me, since I am hoarding miles to fly my family on Qantas to Sydney in 2011...all 1st or business.
Old Jan 1, 10, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
The problem is with Qantas! They are horrible. Alaska Partner desk tried to help me and they were very disappointed with Qantas. this is costing me a business class award and they have a tone of seats that are going empty.

My flight down to LAX on Alaska in First Class was amazing! Jan in first, really took good care of me.
Old Jan 1, 10, 11:42 pm

So what happened when you asked at the departure gate about a biz class seat? This doesn't make any sense to me.
Old Jan 1, 10, 11:52 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JeremyWake View Post
The problem is with Qantas! They are horrible. Alaska Partner desk tried to help me and they were very disappointed with Qantas. this is costing me a business class award and they have a tone of seats that are going empty.

My flight down to LAX on Alaska in First Class was amazing! Jan in first, really took good care of me.
I'm glad to hear that the AS partner desk did everything they could to assist you. The agents on that desk are all top notch. I've had Jan as an FA in F before as well. She's super.

Originally Posted by JeremyWake View Post
Why couldn’t I have access to the lounge at the very least. I have access on my return flight and this is a business class award. I ended up just paying
Although I empathize with your situation (redeemed miles for a premium cabin but did not get it on the long segment) you must realize that for lounge access they are following the rules. Lounge access is restricted to those who are ticketed in a premium cabin. Even though you redeemed enough miles to travel in business class you are still not ticketed in business class. Now if something changes (and I hope it does) and you are given the business class seat that you should rightfully have would seek a refund from Qantas for what you paid for lounge access.
Old Jan 2, 10, 12:28 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
interesting scenario. Somewhat along the same lines what if you book an F AS award or for that matter an AS F partner award...lets say.... FAI-ANC-SEA-(insert destination here). You book and all are in F except FAI-ANC is **coach because you are on a combi. If there is an A/C swap and a 738 or 734 or something ends up on the route do you get to sit in F? Or is it a big song and dance like the OPs issue?
Old Jan 2, 10, 12:55 am

This has been cross-posted into the Qantas forum.

Perhaps you'll see different views about the same issue if you read that thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...line-ever.html
Old Jan 2, 10, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Welcome to FlyerTalk, JeremyWake!

Did you send this message to Alaska Airlines and Qantas so they can look into the situation and deal with any problems that may be their fault (including system issues which prevented you from booking into C and personnel issues such as the rude treatment by Hazel)? If not, I would suggest doing that.

You can contact Alaska Airlines here and Qantas here.

Hope it turns out well!
Old Jan 2, 10, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Cross-posting of threads is against the TOS and since there is a duplicate of this thread in the Qantas Forum, we'll close this thread.

Please follow in the Qantas Forum if interested.

Thanks.

Cholula
Alaska Mileage Plan Co-Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: