Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Airlines Does AS have Interline Baggage agreements with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Airlines Does AS have Interline Baggage agreements with?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:25 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
I can say for certain that according to the e-ticketing table, for example, no US airline has interline e-ticketing agreements with Cubana. Actually, the list of interline partners for Cubana is quite short: only 25 of the >200 IATA members are on the list.
Thank you. That was my point exactly.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:11 am

IATA doesn't require interline agreement

Originally Posted by Donna49
I learned this, and I believe it is still true. Any airline that is a member of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) must, as a requiremembership of membership, accept baggage for interline transfer to any other IATA carrier.

Before I did my research, I thought almost all airlines are IATA member airlines. Not so.
You might be very surprised to learn that Alaska and Lufthansa do not have an interline baggage agreement, which I personally confirmed in 2008, although they are both IATA members. I hope they have negotiated one since then.

Last edited by alaskamatt; Jan 26, 2010 at 11:23 am Reason: Fixed URLs
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
A little off topic, but if I have a six segment trip on Alaska and Delta this summer, will I be able to check baggage all the way through, or is there a 4 segment max?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
A little off topic, but if I have a six segment trip on Alaska and Delta this summer, will I be able to check baggage all the way through, or is there a 4 segment max?
Should be ok as long as your connections are legit ^
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
No four-segment max that I've ever heard of. I flew SYD-SIN-LHR-LAX-SEA-ANC and all of my bags arrived with me in ANC (I was rather surprised they did!).
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
GRU-MEX-LAX, going from TAM to AS, bought on one ticket through aa.com. Will bags be checked thru or do I need to pick them up in MEX and recheck?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:28 am
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by myefre
GRU-MEX-LAX, going from TAM to AS, bought on one ticket through aa.com. Will bags be checked thru or do I need to pick them up in MEX and recheck?
I assume GRU will not be your final stop before port of entry since you stop in MEX so I assume you will have to recheck bags through an agent? I am just assuming I dont know for sure
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Flew SEA-SFO-LHR on AS and then VS two weeks ago. Two separate tickets. AS checked all the way through to LHR for me.

Oddly, on the way back VS couldn't check through to SEA. From talking to the agent in LHR I think it has something to do with security inbound to the US.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Originally Posted by ANC
I assume GRU will not be your final stop before port of entry since you stop in MEX so I assume you will have to recheck bags through an agent? I am just assuming I dont know for sure
I may have been unclear. I will be in Sao Paulo and leave from there to go to LAX. I take TAM to MEX and then AS onto LAX. I am just wondering if TAM and AS have an agreement and if my bags would be check thru to LAX.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmy O's
Flew SEA-SFO-LHR on AS and then VS two weeks ago. Two separate tickets. AS checked all the way through to LHR for me.

Oddly, on the way back VS couldn't check through to SEA. From talking to the agent in LHR I think it has something to do with security inbound to the US.
One has to retrieve a bag at the U.S. port of entry before clearing Customs. Very typically there's a recheck station immediately after Customs where the procedure is drop-and-go: no retagging needed when the bag has been processed properly at check in. I think a VS agent was looking to avoid a (trivial) bit of work.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 6:49 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
AS-HA baggage agreement?

Because AS has terrible routing from PDX to LIH I am finding it way cheaper and better flight times to buy 2 tickets. The RT PDX-HNL on AS
The RT HNL-LIH on Hawaiian. The question is will AS check our bags all the way to LIH at PDX for us?

Hawaiian is a competitor but the price and timing of the tickets is right.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by ijkh
Because AS has terrible routing from PDX to LIH I am finding it way cheaper and better flight times to buy 2 tickets. The RT PDX-HNL on AS
The RT HNL-LIH on Hawaiian. The question is will AS check our bags all the way to LIH at PDX for us?

AS should. HA won't on the return.

Is the n/s seasonal? I'd rather cnx in SEA or SJC/OAK myself.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Everyone I've ever tried...among the more random:

South African Airways

I suspect it would be easier to make the list of who they don't have an interline baggage agreement with...
CX has a nice comprehensive listing for CX itself:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...agreement.html

I have ANC-LAX-HKG-JNB currently ticketed on AS & CX. If I add JNB-CPT on SA will AS Interline this and print onto the luggage tag? (separate ticket for SA hop) CX seems to Interline to SA. If not I can check in CX forum if I can modify the bag tag later in LAX or HKG. (Funny going from AS to SA )

Last edited by beckoa; Jul 29, 2013 at 7:04 pm Reason: clarified the butter
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by Donna49
Exactly.

Is there something about this that is difficult to understand?

By being an IATA member, an airline agrees to conditions of membership such that interlining with another IATA member airline is required.
I recently left Barcelona on BA Club Europe, transferred to F on BA 283 London-LAX and then Alaska LAX-PDX.
The staff in Barcelona refused my request to tag thebags all the way through. I then spoke to a manager who agreed that since Alaska is not a one world partner and there were 2 tickets bought-one for BA and one for Alaska-it was "against the rules" to tag the bag all the way home. Oddly, the family one station over from me on check in was doing the exact same thing but coming home via Vancouver and since it was one itinerary, they tagged it all the way through to PDX. I went to the Concorde Room at Heathrow during my 3.5 hour layover and asked them to retrieve and retag the bags. Another manager was called to the lounge. She was gracious and told me "no" and what had been done in Barcelona was "correct". Oh.
Many hours later carrying my bags from the international terminal to terminal 6 at LAX, I had a lot of time to mutter "how hard can this be" and after 24 hours of travel, it was very very hard.
Oddly, on the way to Europe, Alaska tagged my bags all the way through. No questions asked. They even gave me boarding passes for the BA flights. Sigh.

Last edited by jackal; Jul 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reason: Removing unnecessarily harsh language directed at another FlyerTalk member
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ijkh

Suggest this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-6-1-12-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.