Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Business companion fare expiration question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Hello. About to book six tickets SEA-CUN-SEA for travel next November (after Thanksgiving), four of them using personal companion fares and two of them using a business companion fare (probably booked in first class). The return date of our trip will fall three days after the "expiration" of the business companion fare, which states "travel must be completed by ...". I know with the personal companion fares that the expiration date requires TICKETING by that date, but I seem to recall that the business companion fare requires TRAVEL by that date. Does anyone know if that has changed? or whether there will be any leeway with that return date? Otherwise, I will just probably use miles to book the last seat.

And if it is accurate that a business companion fare requires TRAVEL BY the expiration date, wonder why it isn't the same terms as the personal one just requiring TICKETING BY ...

Thanks for any help.

PS Any idea when/if the business companion fare will ever become electronic???
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:27 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
generally speaking they'll let you slide up to 30 days on that "travel by" date. Just let them know when you make the reservation, and ask if you can have an exception. They can note the record so you don't get a hassle when you ticket.

I believe the Business Companion Certs are going electronic this year.. now that the personal ones have gone to $99 too. I can check tomorrow when I'm back in the office
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
generally speaking they'll let you slide up to 30 days on that "travel by" date. Just let them know when you make the reservation, and ask if you can have an exception. They can note the record so you don't get a hassle when you ticket.

I believe the Business Companion Certs are going electronic this year.. now that the personal ones have gone to $99 too. I can check tomorrow when I'm back in the office
Hi Missy. Well when I phoned the MVP desk to ask this question today (my return flight opens up later today so am hoping to book my six tickets later on), I was told that the ENTIRE TRIP must be completed by the expiration date, no exceptions.

Any word on when these certs are going electronic? And do you have any advice for me as far as dealing with the expiration date?

Thanks so much.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:07 pm

If when you call back to book your trip they aren't flexible, ask for a supervisor. There should be no reason you can't slide this if its only 3 days.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Ok Missy, I am waiting for the return flight to get online and then will hold it and call in. Wish me luck and I will let you know how it turns out!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:03 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
They should let it slide. But, if they don't, could you work around it by booking the paid F tickets with the business companion fare, and then calling in later and changing the return dates? The expiration might get lost in the confusion...

Certainly a much safer idea to ask for the exception.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:14 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
They should let it slide. But, if they don't, could you work around it by booking the paid F tickets with the business companion fare, and then calling in later and changing the return dates? The expiration might get lost in the confusion...

Certainly a much safer idea to ask for the exception.
lol some times a good smoke cloud always works ^ And while you are at it on the phone changing the dates as they type away change the subject to some small talk too ^ but yes I agree getting the exception is far safer
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:19 pm

Missy,

Any word on whether or not this will happen soon?

Thanks,

d
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:47 pm

I'm bumping this one more time in the hopes that missy will see it.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
crap...is this the case for the regular Visa Signature companion certs, too? I have a $50 one that expires 03/04/10. Does travel have to be complete by then? Yikes! If so, I have a trip to plan.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by 98103
crap...is this the case for the regular Visa Signature companion certs, too? I have a $50 one that expires 03/04/10. Does travel have to be complete by then? Yikes! If so, I have a trip to plan.
no... those are "ticketed by"
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by doog
I'm bumping this one more time in the hopes that missy will see it.
if you want to be sure I see something.. PM works really well

No, I don't know if they've set a date for the switch over, but I could probably find out this week.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
no... those are "ticketed by"
^
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by inthchips
Any word on when these certs are going electronic?
Does anyone know if the companion certificate on the Business card ever went electronic? My dad still has a paper one from April. If it is now electronic, is there any way to switch it to an electronic certificate?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Does anyone know if the companion certificate on the Business card ever went electronic? My dad still has a paper one from April. If it is now electronic, is there any way to switch it to an electronic certificate?
Yes it did go electronic sometime early this year. There is no way as far as I know to convert the paper certs to electronic. We have one left that expires in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.