Wiki Posts
Search

Using Alaska miles for car rentals?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Using Alaska miles for car rentals?

Is there a way to use AK Airlines miles for car rentals? I know there's no way to do it directly, but it's sometimes possible to go through an intermediary. Any ideas?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by ASflyer
Is there a way to use AK Airlines miles for car rentals? I know there's no way to do it directly, but it's sometimes possible to go through an intermediary. Any ideas?
Yes, through www.points.com

But, it will cost you.......

Example:

A $25.00 Avis Certificate will cost you 8,015 Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Miles.

If you have miles to burn, then maybe this is for you.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Or if you win an auction with AS, rentals are often thrown in
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider
But, it will cost you.......
Its about as cost effective on spending 25K points to fly from PDX-SEA when BOS-ANC can be purchased for the same. Why not just pay for the rental? If you want to throw miles away you can always give them to me

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 10, 2009 at 9:02 am
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't specifically know exactly at what value AS miles turn into rentals, but I would not expect it to be signficantly better than how UA does it. And the other day, I just priced a 10-day rental at LAX that woud have cost about $300, and it came to 45k-ish UA miles. I've used used 25k UA miles before for a flight that would have cost $500+ on UA all-mainline and still $400+ on AS/QX (with much of it on QX), so 45k for $300ish does not seem like a good value to me at all.

However: It is still a better value than redeeming for gift cards.

And they came up with the 45k-ish by taking 4k-ish per day and multiplying it by the number of days. Since a car rental costs less per day in moeny the longer it is, it could be that miles for car rental might be a bit less ridiculous if you need a very short rental only. But I still suggest you do the above kind of math to see if it's really a good use of miles for you.

At AA, the trick to using AA miles for car rentals is to use AAVacations (and essentially book a rental-only vacation, and then pay for your vacation with miles).

Btw, one important thing to note: With both UA and AA, there's big penalties for cancelling you car reseravation, if you even can. So you shouldn't be comparing this to a car rental reservation made direct with the rental company which allows you to not show up and still not be charged, you should comparing it to making a car rental reservation with some discount broker that gets you a cheapo "use it or lose it" prepaid car rental!

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 11, 2009 at 10:38 am Reason: corrected Horizon code
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ASflyer
I think your question of how to best use AirAsia miles should probably be posted in another forum.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
I think your question of how to best use AirAsia miles should probably be posted in another forum.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
$400+ on AS/HX (with much of it on HX),
I don't recall AS partnering with Trans North Aviation

Last edited by CDKing; Oct 10, 2009 at 3:17 pm
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that.

I don't recall AS partnering with Trans North Aviation
Thanks for looking up HX, never heard of them before
Old Oct 11, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
You might do better with a Priceline rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.