Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Good Luck!

Don't get too excited yet. We may not be out of the woods yet.

Over in the Southwest Forum a member recently had trouble getting upgraded on an RR ticket. They want to charge him 51,000 points to upgrade.
LOL, that's pretty insane. I'll keep my fingers crossed then...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by pykerl
LOL, that's pretty insane. I'll keep my fingers crossed then...
That was the first leg of a trip, when he changed planes in ATL he got upgraded on the second leg for free

It just keeps getting weirder.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 4:14 pm

I thought would I post a couple of quotes from recent posts on the Southwest Forum about Biz upgrades on Airtran when flying a Southwest Ticket.

This is th epost I referenced earlier:

Post mortem: I get to the gate about 05:30, which had both FL and WN GAs there, and after explaining the situation (WN RR award on FL metal, WN and FL Elite, trying to get a C seat) they both looked at me like I was speaking Klingon (but the WN GA did tap around and give me the same 51K RR upsell). Ah well, FL Y it is FLL-ATL (and I'll have a comment about that in the "Evolve Seating" thread). It probably wouldn't have mattered as the flight went out C0 anyway.

Get to ATL, ask the same thing of the FL GA, turns out there's a potential no-show, she tells me to board in my group, and comes aboard to move me up to the (last available) C seat to DTW.
This one from earlier today

A+ Preferred and AirTran Elite. Yesterday flying on paid ticket bought through WN, FL metal. 40 minutes before take-off, the GA tried for 5 minutes to upgrade me, but apologetically said the system wouldn't let her do it.
There are more, but these are very recent.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Mar 14, 2014 at 10:38 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I thought would I post a couple of quotes from recent posts on the Southwest Forum about Biz upgrades on Airtran when flying a Southwest Ticket.

This one from earlier today

There are more, but these are very recent.
Ah, good to know we're not out of the woods yet. Didn't get an upgrade Thursday, but the plane was oversold, and full of spring breakers headed back from vacation. Both coach and biz flew out full, and I had checked in pretty late (~035 on my ticket), so no dice.

One the plus side, they were offering $300 credit, but required flying out the next morning -- seems in line with other reports of no longer offering one way/RT Airtran vouchers.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:45 pm

Ah, good to know we're not out of the woods yet. Didn't get an upgrade Thursday, but the plane was oversold, and full of spring breakers headed back from vacation. Both coach and biz flew out full, and I had checked in pretty late (~035 on my ticket), so no dice.

On the plus side, they were offering $300 credit, but required flying out the next morning -- seems in line with other reports of no longer offering one way/RT Airtran vouchers.
Over sold/full was always an issue.

The $300 Credit has an upside - you can use it on any flight. It is not capacity controlled like the old round trip vouchers (which can now usually be exchanged for 16 A+Credit which can be turned to Southwest RR credits worth two capacity controlled flights).

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Mar 23, 2014 at 9:46 pm
Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:50 pm

New experience. Today I checked in for a flight tomorrow and was already upgraded. No idea why. Flight is not full, fare not eligible for an upgrade.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Love this...RT ATL-LGA in May...if you book it on FL, fare is $356. To book the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS on the WN site (where is clearly says they are operated by Air Tran), the fare is $383.
So it's $27 higher to book the same flight on WN vs. FL. Hmmm....kinda sounds like the price of a bag, doesn't it? Oh, wait, I'm sorry, WN doesn't charge for bags. Riiiiight. How's that Kool-Aid, folks?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by melissaru
Love this...RT ATL-LGA in May...if you book it on FL, fare is $356. To book the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS on the WN site (where is clearly says they are operated by Air Tran), the fare is $383.
So it's $27 higher to book the same flight on WN vs. FL. Hmmm....kinda sounds like the price of a bag, doesn't it? Oh, wait, I'm sorry, WN doesn't charge for bags. Riiiiight. How's that Kool-Aid, folks?
I've noticed this on some flights as well, but not all. I think Airtran.com may have an extra low fare bucket unavailable to the Southwest.com booking engine -- not sure why. In addition, sometimes these lower fares on Airtran.com do not appear in search aggregators like kayak.com/expedia.com/matrix.itasoftware.com, so I typically will check Airtran.com separately just in case.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:37 am

I've noticed this on some flights as well, but not all. I think Airtran.com may have an extra low fare bucket unavailable to the Southwest.com booking engine -- not sure why. In addition, sometimes these lower fares on Airtran.com do not appear in search aggregators like kayak.com/expedia.com/matrix.itasoftware.com, so I typically will check Airtran.com separately just in case.
This used to be much more common, then it seemed to go away completely and lately I've noticed that the fares again sometimes do not match.

Yesterday on an Airtran flight out of Atlanta no upgrade. Biz was sold out
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I took a flight from PHL-ATL with one of my parents. The WN lady at the ticket counter seemed angry at AirTran for putting in her a position to deal with AirTran's integration. I think when I asked her about upgrade possibility , she went into a mini anti AirTran rant after that and said in a tone as if she expected me to agree with her. I told her that I was actually a loyal AirTran passenger and I was actually sad that AirTran was ending.

The lady at the gate was a lot more fun to deal with and she gave me and my parent two upgrades right away.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:23 pm

Upgraded LAS-ATL on a coach A+ reward ticket. Man, I'm going to miss AirTran.
Old May 13, 2014, 11:18 pm

Airtran flight out of BOS, booked on SW. Not auto-upgraded (supposedly). When I requested nicely, I got a lot of flak from the gate agent about it being booked on Southwest vs. Airtran.com. He said that they are "not supposed" to upgrade passengers unless they're booked via Airtran.com, and that my fare was "only" $150, not the $450 for business class.

I finally insisted that they have been doing it for awhile now, at that counter, even if booked on Southwest, but he said it was a "new" thing... Luckily he gave me the seat upgrade written on the boarding pass. He either just didn't want to go through the upgrade list, or had already given away my biz class seat by accident, and didn't want to reprint a boarding pass. Or who knows, a new policy to increase revenue.

Meanwhile, biz went out with three seats empty... and a FL flight attendant (or two maybe) and three JetBlue pilots "jump seating" a ride in business class as well (all nice folk), but definitely far, far from full... very odd!
Old May 15, 2014, 12:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
My husband and I both got upgraded RT ATL-LGA last weekend. Biz class was full both ways, but it seemed most were upgrades based on chatter and the seating chart an hour prior to departure.
I still have to laugh at the cans of water and that ridiculous box in which they serve the snacks but still...gonna miss it.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by melissaru
My husband and I both got upgraded RT ATL-LGA last weekend. Biz class was full both ways, but it seemed most were upgrades based on chatter and the seating chart an hour prior to departure.
I still have to laugh at the cans of water and that ridiculous box in which they serve the snacks but still...gonna miss it.
Was your flight booked on Airtran.com or Southwest.com
Old May 16, 2014, 9:52 am

AirTran.com. I am still pretending WN doesn't exist in ATL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.