Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Old Nov 1, 2013, 9:02 pm

10/30 ATL-MSY FAIL all seats showed full. Later showed one open. FA confirmed one no-show.

I am now watching seat assignments on my phone. I am seeing a lot more business seats assigned prior to T-40'. It may be Southwest BS or Credit Cars Upgrades not sure what is up.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
10/30 ATL-MSY FAIL all seats showed full. Later showed one open. FA confirmed one no-show.
Did you ask the FA if you could move up? Even after 10k ft?

BC no shows happen as it's fully refundable.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001
Did you ask the FA if you could move up? Even after 10k ft?

BC no shows happen as it's fully refundable.
I know they happen all the time. Unfortunately I didn't check again until after we landed. I'm not sure I would have been next in line anyway.

I had an exit row so it wouldn't have been too bad, expect for the COS in the middle seat.

Did I mention I don't like the 737s cramped seating?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:36 pm

ATL-ORF. 12/11 upgraded.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:06 pm

I have experianced a lot of full BC flights in the last couple of months.

This morning MSY 2 ATL I got an upgrade on a flight where BC was sold out at T-24.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Dec 12, 2013 at 3:36 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
I have experianced a lot of full BC flights in the last couple of months.

This morning MYS 2 ATL I got an upgrade on a flight where BC was sold out at T-24.
There may be more volatility with WN bookings as BS (fully refundable) on WN gets BC on FL. And of course I'm assuming you meant MSY which is a gateway from DAL to ATL.

Why BS bookings? Most WGA's go away inside one week and the difference between Anytime and BS is slim considering the 50% points bonus and BS boarding number.

Last edited by traveller001; Dec 11, 2013 at 9:56 pm
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 pm

Wife upgraded today ATL 2 MSY. Looks like plenty of were seats availible.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
12/20 FLL-CMH. Was first on the upgrade list and received the last BC seat. Apparently because I had booked on Southwest's site, it took two local supervisors and a call to the Dallas "SOS" line to get the upgrade to process correctly. After a 40 minute process (!), I was the last to board, but fortunately there was still room for my briefcase in the overhead bin (I was in 1F)
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:59 am

12/23 ATL MSY

Flight booked on Southwest GA unable to do upgrade because flight booked on Southwest. Finally just wrote new seat numbers on BP.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
03/10 - MCI - ATL 7:05am

I heard my name being paged while I was going through security. I went up to the agent and she offered me 1C. I gladly accepted. , This was a little over an hour before departure.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
BOS-ATL, booked via WN with points on FL. Successfully upgraded after asking and showing my boarding pass / Airtran A+ card at T-40min. Took about 2 seconds, so it looks like the kinks may have been worked out! No writing in sharpie with a new seat number, a real boarding pass, which is of course nice.

One oddity is that for the upgrade, the ticket seemed to be rebooked via WN, so the points were redeposited and than rededucted (same amounts of course). Probably a workaround, but, hey, as long as it's working!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by pykerl
BOS-ATL, booked via WN with points on FL. Successfully upgraded after asking and showing my boarding pass / Airtran A+ card at T-40min. Took about 2 seconds, so it looks like the kinks may have been worked out! No writing in sharpie with a new seat number, a real boarding pass, which is of course nice.

One oddity is that for the upgrade, the ticket seemed to be rebooked via WN, so the points were redeposited and than rededucted (same amounts of course). Probably a workaround, but, hey, as long as it's working!
Very impressive, congratulations!

In ATL a couple of weeks ago and it only took 7 different agents to accomplish the same thing (4 flat-out said NO & 2 professed to not "know how").
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:50 am

^MSY-ATL Upgraded, booked on Southwest. I noticed that the new boarding pass had a different PNR than the original one. However I got RR credit and it even looks like I got some kind of bonus.

I have known for a long time that the are 2 PNRs for each Airtran Flight booked on Southwest. A Southwest one and an Airtran one. The Southwest Boarding pass now shows the Airtran PNR at the bottom between the bar codes in small letters, I don't think it used to but I can't be sure I don't have any Old Boarding Passes.

I also have a report of someone getting upgraded but Southwest showing them as a show, so not points. However there was a TTF for the full amount of the ticket, so I guess that works out just fine.^
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
^MSY-ATL Upgraded, booked on Southwest. I noticed that the new boarding pass had a different PNR than the original one. However I got RR credit and it even looks like I got some kind of bonus.

I have known for a long time that the are 2 PNRs for each Airtran Flight booked on Southwest. A Southwest one and an Airtran one. The Southwest Boarding pass now shows the Airtran PNR at the bottom between the bar codes in small letters, I don't think it used to but I can't be sure I don't have any Old Boarding Passes.

I also have a report of someone getting upgraded but Southwest showing them as a show, so not points. However there was a TTF for the full amount of the ticket, so I guess that works out just fine.^
Great to hear -- I'll be finally switching all of my spending to Southwest now that I've secured A+ Elite status until the end of Airtran, and now that upgrades seem to be happening relatively easily. It will be sad to see it go, but the last year has seemed great for upgrades on my routes, so definitely bittersweet.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by pykerl
Great to hear -- I'll be finally switching all of my spending to Southwest now that I've secured A+ Elite status until the end of Airtran, and now that upgrades seem to be happening relatively easily. It will be sad to see it go, but the last year has seemed great for upgrades on my routes, so definitely bittersweet.
Good Luck!

Don't get too excited yet. We may not be out of the woods yet.

Over in the Southwest Forum a member recently had trouble getting upgraded on an RR ticket. They want to charge him 51,000 points to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.