Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

 
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:09 pm
  #376  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westchester Co, NY or Rio Grande Valley, TX or ???
Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Posts: 2,260
Originally Posted by dc2
Are elites eligible for upgrades at T-40min if traveling on a standard award ticket?
Yes - I have done this several times.
HPN-HRL is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:38 pm
  #377  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,411
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Yes - I have done this several times.
It depends on where the "standard award" came from.. If booked on Southwest it's not possible. OTOH if booked on Airtran it is.
traveller001 is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:38 pm
  #378  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Posts: 356
6/25 BWI-ATL, with wife on Airtran flight booked on SW with points. Got 2 seats together (instead of 2 middle seats) for us at airport check-in, then flashed my elite card to get in the fast-track security line (despite elite not being on my BP), then talked to a gate agent just trying to get earlier boarding so I didn't end up with a backpack in the back of the plane while I was in the front of coach due to being Zone 8, and the gate agent upgraded us! He messed around in the system for a while, and did check that my status was active, but eventually just printed us new boarding passes and wrote on them 2E and 2F. I presume he blocked those seats somehow as I saw other nonrevs board later and sit in the back, and people sat in our old seats as well.

So someone went above and beyond, despite the computing limitations. YMMV...probably my last comp upgrade on FL as my status will expire in August after 2 years.
dk240t is offline  
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:47 pm
  #379  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,638
Originally Posted by dk240t
6/25 BWI-ATL, with wife on Airtran flight booked on SW with points. Got 2 seats together (instead of 2 middle seats) for us at airport check-in, then flashed my elite card to get in the fast-track security line (despite elite not being on my BP), then talked to a gate agent just trying to get earlier boarding so I didn't end up with a backpack in the back of the plane while I was in the front of coach due to being Zone 8, and the gate agent upgraded us! He messed around in the system for a while, and did check that my status was active, but eventually just printed us new boarding passes and wrote on them 2E and 2F. I presume he blocked those seats somehow as I saw other nonrevs board later and sit in the back, and people sat in our old seats as well.

So someone went above and beyond, despite the computing limitations.
Good news! Thanks for sharing.
mke9499 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:35 am
  #380  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 622
I havent had luck with upgrades to or from BWI-ATL ever. Seems like BC is always full. I will be flying 6am flight BWi-ATL on the 10th. Let's see if I have any luck, though I doubt it. It would be nice if they gave elites a discount on purchasing upgrades in advance.
saneman is offline  
Old Jun 29, 2013, 7:22 pm
  #381  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,411
Originally Posted by saneman
I havent had luck with upgrades to or from BWI-ATL ever. Seems like BC is always full. I will be flying 6am flight BWi-ATL on the 10th. Let's see if I have any luck, though I doubt it. It would be nice if they gave elites a discount on purchasing upgrades in advance.
Well sort of they do... 4 credits at 48hrs prior if available. That beats the cash upgrades opening time by 24hrs. If you booked with Airtran of course. Given the increases in BC pricing that's not exactly a bad deal.
traveller001 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:05 am
  #382  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by saneman
I havent had luck with upgrades to or from BWI-ATL ever. Seems like BC is always full. I will be flying 6am flight BWi-ATL on the 10th. Let's see if I have any luck, though I doubt it. It would be nice if they gave elites a discount on purchasing upgrades in advance.
Must be when you fly. Because clearly when he gave me that upgrade, all other elite upgrades had been processed and there were (at least) 2 more seats for my wife and I. And we've both been upgraded before BWI-ATL. 6AM is not when I have flown that route though...afternoon and evening for me.
dk240t is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2013, 7:42 am
  #383  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 622
Wow nice suprise for me. Over the last year, I had no luck with upgrades to Philly. I was traveling with my mother and both of us got upgrades on ATL-PHL Fl 119 (3:15pm). The flight was delayed 2 hours due to bad rain and endure a few changed gates. But the BC cabin was 3 empty seats and this was with 2 non revenues(another Airtran's pilot's family) sitting in BC.
And this was on a JUly 3rd flight??? I would have thought the flight would be full. Economy was close to being sold out though I saw some no shows.

In any case, with BC being so empty, I wonder why they did not give me the automatic upgrade even though I ended up checking in only 40 min before the scheduled departure. In the past, whenever BC was pretty empty, I would be given an automatic upgrade at the ticket counter itself. I wonder what governs that. So in any case, I was given the upgrade at 4:45pm for both me and my mother. So my gamble of not using my credits or spending $138 paid off.
Oh, when you keep reducing amenities and make BC less special, and increase BC prices at the same time, and give away elite status so easily, you are going to make it easier for people like me to pass on paying for BC in advance.I did not see any effort from TAs or GAs to sell BC seats on this flight.
saneman is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:24 pm
  #384  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,411
Originally Posted by saneman
In any case, with BC being so empty, I wonder why they did not give me the automatic upgrade even though I ended up checking in only 40 min before the scheduled departure. In the past, whenever BC was pretty empty, I would be given an automatic upgrade at the ticket counter itself.
At the ticket counter the agent can check and see the number of Elites the GA has to deal with and I've seen way more than twelve on some flights. At T-40 check-in you would obviously be lower on the list. If the list was very short or *gasp* you were the only one.... They only did what the GA would do. This isn't normal so appreciate their effort.

IMO Check-in online to improve your odds. You don't need access to a printer... BP can be printed at the airport.
traveller001 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:52 pm
  #385  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 373
So far so good

Since making Elite in May:
ATL-LGA - Upgraded
LGA-ATL - Upgraded
ATL-FLL - Upgraded +1 companion
FLL-ATL - Upgraded +1 companion
BWI-ATL - Upgraded

Hopefully, I'll get an upgrade ATL-MSP next week, Business is currently wide open. All these make me want to keep booking AirTran. Maybe some of the ATL flyers jumped ship to Delta too soon.
NCLSEA123 is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:30 am
  #386  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Posts: 1,889
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Maybe some of the ATL flyers jumped ship to Delta too soon.
Count me as one of those ATL flyers. Of course the transition to WN has progressed much more slowly than anyone would have guessed.
plagwate is offline  
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:31 am
  #387  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 622
Traveller01, correction on my part . When I said check in at 40 min beofre, I meant I already checked in online 24 hr in advance and checked in again at the counter 40 min before SCHEDULED departure(plane was delayed). And as it turns out my mother and I were the only elite upgrades on the flight. So I wonder what governs that.
On the way back, we did get the automatic upgrades at the ticket counter(BWI-ATL 6:10 am July 10 flight in a full BC)
saneman is offline  
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:02 am
  #388  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 373
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Since making Elite in May:
ATL-LGA - Upgraded
LGA-ATL - Upgraded
ATL-FLL - Upgraded +1 companion
FLL-ATL - Upgraded +1 companion
BWI-ATL - Upgraded

Hopefully, I'll get an upgrade ATL-MSP next week, Business is currently wide open. All these make me want to keep booking AirTran. Maybe some of the ATL flyers jumped ship to Delta too soon.

ATL-MSP upgraded & TPA-ATL upgraded.
NCLSEA123 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:20 pm
  #389  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 622
ATL-PBI upgraded 7/15 9pm flight. Gate agent was not particularly happy to see me. She seemed stressed and was a tad impatient when I asked her about my upgrade at t-40. But she did treat an elderly passenger with so much grace, I chalked it to a fluke bad moment on her part. Right at boarding, she gave me my upgrade. 2 others seemed to have gotten upgrades too. 2 seats were left empty. I guess the 69 bucks upgrade price for short segments is discouraging sellouts. Plus I do not see TAs or GAs push for these paid upgrades when you check in.

PBI-ATL upgraded again .7/19 6:15 pm flight which was delayed half hour. As I mentioned, the great PBI Airtran ground crew is gone. Southwest has taken over that hub fully. It seems unfair to give assignments based only on seniority as southwest is an older airline and so many will have seniority by default. They should have at least let one of the old Airtran crew get a chance to retain his or her job at PBI. The Southwest lady was apologetic, but seemed a little flustered about the whole question of the upgrade process. Anyway, I get upgraded for free. I think there was one seat left empty.
saneman is offline  
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:01 pm
  #390  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,813
saneman

As you probably know the order of upgrade is governed by the order of check in. That number is printed on the boarding pass.

They are technically supposed to hold the upgrades until T-40 but if BC is empty they will often do it early or at the ticket counter. It also helps if they recognize you. I seldom actually go to the ticket counter because I don't usually check baggage.

If a flight is pretty full or if there are a lot of BC seats sold they will often hold off until the last minute. On occasion after boarding I've had them move me from my seat in coach when someone didn't show.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.